Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

I managed to pick up 3 packs of NEW gels at the Padang....

Apparently, some runners took more than they can consumed, and they left them on the chairs at the Padang...

Free gels for me for the next run....hee hee

weather was so hot that it reminded me of Thailand and also the borneo marathon.

forgot to say thanks(on top of oranges ladies,coca cola guys,tibits ppl) to the ice water sponges guys at ECP. thanks man!it was great.

And i think at one of the 30km+ marker, the statement was something like "You signed up to run, not walk!" Ironically, everyone around me was walking.. lolz..

Yeah, I saw the this one when i was most demoralized and walking under the intense heat. I told myself "I signed up to complete the race, not to DIE!!!!" LOL

its really funny to see comments on people complain about the sun... :rolleyes2:

Just another "hot" diss in e forum la.. ok la... anyway i wish i running in e heavy rain then sun though... rain heavily late noon.. it came too late!

Don't give us empty promise ! If you can't deliver, please just don't copied the previous route map with the two missing in action items (first gels station and banana station). :growl:

post-15160-0-38472200-1418005996_thumb.j

its really funny to see comments on people complain about the sun... :rolleyes2:

Just another "hot" diss in e forum la.. ok la... anyway i wish i running in e heavy rain then sun though... rain heavily late noon.. it came too late!

Haha, reminds of the Hello Kitty run, people complaining about the run and the organisers not prepared/never give out ponchos. This run some also complained that they should give their volunteers caps or something..

The best is cool shady weather of cos.. heavy rain i think its a torture too.

Haha, reminds of the Hello Kitty run, people complaining about the run and the organisers not prepared/never give out ponchos. This run some also complained that they should give their volunteers caps or something..

The best is cool shady weather of cos.. heavy rain i think its a torture too.

true.... i also see some of them scratching their legs casue they were standing on grass in sentosa..... poor volunteers.....

the only solution of the weather is start the run earlier...

5am for HM is good to avoid the hot sun..

if rain then is out of control

To me, heat is uncontrollable so that one no choice. Some ways to try and resolve this is to have earlier start times, or have the ECP stretch cover more of the 2nd half of the FM as there are still some decent shady areas there.

Slopes are are a bane to those going for PB but some people like me welcome the challenge.

What I find disturbing is that despite Spectrum Worldwide's experience in managing SCMS for so many years, we still have fundamental issues like lack of bananas/ gels and even hydration issues for slow runners. These are seriously not acceptable. They have made improvements but many areas and efforts are still lacking.

(Pardon the late night emo)

I thought this is the 2nd yr for Spectrum Worldwide to run this event?

Both Sports SG and Spectrum need to be accountable for all the problems yesterday.

Maybe Sports SG should run the event themself.

Hope no fatal injury due to heat stroke.

well. i felt the distribution of the hydration was poorly managed. for example the org shld know(after so many yrs) that at point 30-33km will be the area with no trees, no shade and will be the hottest and the distance where most runners will be hitting the wall. yet i dont see any additional hydration point arnd the BBQ stretch. the worst part is that after the bbq stretch, the hydration point the water was limited. the vol was shouting one cup per pax max! running out of water!! when all the runners are all bbq n dehydrated. towards the end of the run (maybe arnd 40km?) i see BOTTLES of mineral water given out???? huh excuse me, y do we need 500ml of water to last us for the last 2km? erms. the water shld be delivered to the the hydration point at 33km where there is a serious shortage of water

i still need to give credits to some of the vol at the hot areas. pity them man,,, no tents set up for shelter at all. they didnt even use umbrella, so hot la!!!

The whole event is run by sub contracting...

SG Sports => Spectrum Worldwides => Different events companies => Different SMEs companies

To save cost and generate more incomes, sub contracting may be given to lowest quotation, new startups.

So What do u think? Good no cheap...Cheap no good. :)

Just my takes

For FM, better bring own water bottle, gels, salt pills, and muscle spray if necessary. This is the lesson learned over and over again. The organisers often come short when u need it the most.

My 4th SCMS HM this year & this is the toughest. The AYE stretch was like a warzone with many mini BCS.

If ppl can complain under Hivelocity, there is not enough water, then we can add no bananas & below average medal (in terms of size & thickness versus past scms) to the "achievement" of the new organiser.

Imagine reaching 16km mark (10-18km was on the burning bridge) & was told there was no water at the hydration station where it was needed most. Cant describe the disappointment & thirst. I only dared to made the hard decision to consume my one & only gel after 17km (since i am not sure if the hydration stn ahead will be out of water as well) before my legs cramp.

Bring back hivelocity anytime haa

The burning bridge... like this term cause everyone was like being bbq-ed on the bridge with nowhere to go... and i see many walkers trying to squeeze themselves to the most right of the bridge for some shade... which didnt help much...

Highway to hell sounds more apt. And wht makes it worst is tht my mp3 player was playing it right after e 10k water point.

Imo, to truely make it into a race worthy event, they shld stop looking at numbers. Remove e notion of giving everyone a chance to run.

They need to limit e numbers of runners for each cat, lower cut off timings and to show prove of previous completion within cut off time.

With all these done, they can then better manage their resources. Rather than trying to cater to unknown crowds.

To me, heat is uncontrollable so that one no choice. Some ways to try and resolve this is to have earlier start times, or have the ECP stretch cover more of the 2nd half of the FM as there are still some decent shady areas there.

Slopes are are a bane to those going for PB but some people like me welcome the challenge.

What I find disturbing is that despite Spectrum Worldwide's experience in managing SCMS for so many years, we still have fundamental issues like lack of bananas/ gels and even hydration issues for slow runners. These are seriously not acceptable. They have made improvements but many areas and efforts are still lacking.

Both Sports SG and Spectrum need to be accountable for all the problems yesterday.

http://www.sww.com.sg/what-we-do/

From Spectrum Worldwide website,

"The event operations team at SWW has grown the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore into a world-class sporting event which continues to attract a record number of participants year on year.

The team led the successful transition of the event concept from one common start/finish line to the new three start points and one finish point in 2010.

After consistently delivering successful operations for the event, SWW was appointed the master tender for full event operations, which oversaw all planning and execution of the mass participation running event for over 60,000 runners."

So this should be their 5th year running the SCMS liao.

http://www.sww.com.sg/what-we-do/

From Spectrum Worldwide website,

"The event operations team at SWW has grown the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore into a world-class sporting event which continues to attract a record number of participants year on year.

The team led the successful transition of the event concept from one common start/finish line to the new three start points and one finish point in 2010.

After consistently delivering successful operations for the event, SWW was appointed the master tender for full event operations, which oversaw all planning and execution of the mass participation running event for over 60,000 runners."

So this should be their 5th year running the SCMS liao.

Oh, so they were one of the sub-contractors most times and eventually became the main contractor.

Seems like its too big a pie for them to swallow.

Thanks for clarifying.

Hahaha, talk about bo jio (no banana) in SCMS14. What a coincide that there is the Banana Relay coming this weekend.

I think its becos timing was an issue last year and there was a lot of complaints.

Did anyone see the 5 Power Rangers from Japan? They were back again this year and I really pity them running under the hot sun in their costumes, I saw them running towards the finish line when 8h was almost up..

Talking about the power rangers from Japan, I saw them in Osaka Marathon this year and they took 6 hours to finish.

I guess the morning race weather was really tough for them :blink:

Btw, did anyone spot the 11km marker for the FM? It said something like "what are you staring at? Run faster! You're near the finish line". Seriously? With more than 30km to go? Hahahaha

That is poor placement of the race motivating statement <_<

It sounds like this year SCMS has more complaints than positive points to note.

Haha I remember them in Osaka. I can't imagine them running in the heat here. It must be unbearable!

1900491_10152797073749512_68293589783832

I missed this run because it happens to fall on my JLPT paper. Hearing a lot of complains for it. I guess more preparation is needed. The heat is always an issue here and the best way around it I feel is to start the race earlier.

there's an analysis of how each individual did in the race.. can even add friends and how well they did against each other..

I must say the race results and photos are out really quickly this year. Same evening as the race. Good job!

Also thanks to all the volunteer photographers like pixelated and running shots. Thank you for being there despite the heat.

I must say the race results and photos are out really quickly this year. Same evening as the race. Good job!

Also thanks to all the volunteer photographers like pixelated and running shots. Thank you for being there despite the heat.

Hi!! Did u check yr timing fm marathon photos? Do u realized that the gun time n net time are the same? Is this normal? Thanks..