Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

To me, heat is uncontrollable so that one no choice. Some ways to try and resolve this is to have earlier start times, or have the ECP stretch cover more of the 2nd half of the FM as there are still some decent shady areas there.

Slopes are are a bane to those going for PB but some people like me welcome the challenge.

What I find disturbing is that despite Spectrum Worldwide's experience in managing SCMS for so many years, we still have fundamental issues like lack of bananas/ gels and even hydration issues for slow runners. These are seriously not acceptable. They have made improvements but many areas and efforts are still lacking.

As Max pointed out and also what I have observed this morning, there indeed seems to be an increase in foreign runners and lesser locals. A clear sign that many are boycotting the local marathons for overseas runs. After this morning I am sure more will drop out next year too. If lonewolf's charts are any indication, we are seeing lesser first timers to replace those who decide to boycott the run.

I don't know whether a change in race organizer will benefit SCMS. How many companies are capable of taking up this task? Definitely not Hivelocity. Pink Apple probably, but personally I am still a little unsure of their management. They are also starting to show their money grubbing side.

The running landscape in Singapore seems to be getting bleak and I am not sure how things can become better.

(Pardon the late night emo)

The running landscape in Singapore seems to be getting bleak and I am not sure how things can become better.

(Pardon the late night emo)

Too many races and people will just sign up eagerly, that's what I observe the past two years. Does this dilute organiser's efforts and race experience?

Other than AHM, I think Great Eastern's Women race was also well organised, I did enjoy Newton Run even though hydration also ran out at one station. Spectrum worldwide should take leaf from their books. This shows that we are not a bunch of complaining individuals with high expectations, we do recognise a good race when we see one.

maybe some budget for bananas and gels went to the new time-keeping vendor. It is really impressive this year, almost real time and with lots of details.

maybe some budget for bananas and gels went to the new time-keeping vendor. It is really impressive this year, almost real time and with lots of details.

They should reduce their profit and provide bananas and more gels for the runners instead....

I think its becos timing was an issue last year and there was a lot of complaints.

Did anyone see the 5 Power Rangers from Japan? They were back again this year and I really pity them running under the hot sun in their costumes, I saw them running towards the finish line when 8h was almost up..

Here is my review:

Due to ongoing injuries throughout the year which meant the lack of consistency in training, had decided prior to the race to approach it more conservatively and target a slower 5 hours finish for my FM. Was afraid a recent knee injury would flare up again and for the first time in a race, brought along my own salon pass spray.

Arrived at the baggage deposit area at about 4am. No real queue, but when I turned around after having deposited my stuff, was surprised to see the queues forming very quickly, along with the arrival of the mrt crowd. Went to the toilet quickly and entered the race pen. Had timed my hydration strategy prior to the race better this year, learning from previous experiences. As a result, didn't feel a full bladder in the race pen and hence no need to find a place to relief myself immediately after the race, compared to some previous races.

Started really very conservatively, coupled with the knowledge about the humidity and heat at that time of the morning esp with the crowded first few kms and the tunnel. Even then, felt really hot and tried to keep my pace in check while I got overtaken left, right and centre. Alas, felt my knee just after a few km. Stopped to spray and felt better. My plan was to maintain a slower pace throughout the first 21km. However, my pace grew progressively slower as the discomfort around the knee increased, alongside with a newfound tightness in my hamstring which had felt tight at the start line. At around the 17km mark, saw a few volunteers offering free tiger balm active gels. Took some and rubbed it generously around my knee, thigh and hamstring. My word, it really felt hot. However, it was a welcome "relief" as the sensation of discomfort was masked by the effects of the gel. This is actually the first time I am using it as I had always avoided using them cos I had believed that using it would affect my ability to gauge my body. Now, I wonder why I had never used it.

Reached the u-turn point on schedule, but I knew by then my "race target" had gone out of the window as I can't see myself running faster in the second half in this condition. This is even though cardiovascular wise, I still felt very comfortable. But to get to the halfway point is really an achievement, i said to myself. In the initial kms, I had even contemplated my first DNF. I told myself to get to 30km. I can walk back to the finish point from there. At most that will take me about 2 hours, so still do-able. I must admit that at the earlier part of the race just after entering ECP, I did had lingering thoughts of crossing over to the other side and walk back, as I was suffering. But I decided to just stay calm and take each km as it comes. I also didn't want to beat the kenyans!

With my state of condition, each water point became a target and welcome sight. I took my time at each water point, allowing my knee to rest, and taking on board plenty of hydration. After the u-turn, I decided to use a run-walk strategy, so as to break down the distance into mini-stages to make it seem shorter. I would target running for a km, and then walk for 500m. Luckily by then, my condition seemed to have improved and I found my wind. For the larger part of the return leg on ECP, I was able to do more than that, sometimes running 2-3km continuously before walking. Looking forward to walking helped me stay focused and determined on the running part, and I also knew it will help combat excessive inflammation and allow my muscles to rest for the tougher last stages of the race. I begin to "enjoy" the race more at this point.

My impression is that the water points were better managed this year, with water and isotonic generally freely available, At ECP, there was also some kind folks offering coke. I u-turned to get some, after spotting them after I had actually passed them. I must say it felt really nice and I could feel the boost a short while after from the coke. Whoever you are, bless you! There was also this gentleman who offered ice cold sponges. Superb. Went to the toilet cos I had been drinking quite a bit. I always felt psychologically more comfortable and consequently run better with an empty bladder and this time, it was no different. My race experience seem to be improving at this stage. Looked out for the banana point but couldn't spot it. This is not my first SCMS so I knew where all the water points and banana stations are supposed to be. I had always enjoyed munching bananas on the go and had looked forward to this additional relief. But I didn't dwell too much on this, and concentrated on my race.

Last year, I had started cramping before even reaching the golf course. This year, I felt fresher and could even sing to myself. LOL. Consequently, I "enjoyed" the golf course and Gardens by the East as well as Gardens by the Bay parts of the route. I had never felt this fresh at this stage of the race before. Relatively speaking compared to previous years of course. The weather was getting really hot. I looked up and saw bright blue skies without any clouds! Luckily, I still felt physically alright, put on more shades and it helped me endure the heat more. I could not imagine if I had been physically exhausted, cramping and limping with more than 10km to go in this terrible heat. At a couple of water points just before the Sheares bridge, I dumped water over my head to cool down, esp just before turning onto the bridge. Compared to previous years, managed to run for the majority of this "heartbreak bridge", except the part with the steepest incline as I felt it is just a waste of energy running up. Hence, I walked instead. Ran down the downslope and for the first time on the race, felt the onset of cramps in my thighs. Slowed down and walked a bit more. It is better to avoid having cramps, then to push thru and let it start cramping. Managed to continue a run-walk strategy, albeit the "run" part became shorter and shorter. The heat really got into me at esplanade bridge and I felt my heart pounding. Decided to walk a bit more as I did not want to become a casualty! I had seen at least 3 instances of runners on the ground at the ECP with medical staff attending to them. I hope they are alright. Turning into Anderson bridge, picked up my pace again and ran to the finish.

It was my slowest time ever and I missed my target my 10 mins or so. I must admit I was disappointed I could not even achieve my initial target finish time. But having had time to mull through the race last night, I think it hasn't been that bad after all. Running with discomfort and injury for almost the majority of the race is no joke. Due to the slower pace, I had also, for the first time in SCMS races. enjoyed the route more. Perhaps I should run at this pace more in future so as to enjoy the race more! My strategy also worked well. Instead of focusing too much on race splits, I had been patient and focused a lot more on hydrating and fueling from the early part of the race. I also had more hydration salts then normal. It worked well and I even had a gel left! The run-walk strategy also worked well in terms of energy management and motivation. The weather was just a killer too. The old injury that I had since the beginning of the year have also finally fully recovered. I didn't feel it at all during the race. While I now have to contend with a relatively new one, I'm quietly confident that with continued patience, I can get through this and enjoy my running more in 2015. Right now, I get to eat all the sinful food I want.

Got one of my worst FM timing due to the heat too . The kind of heat could be the most hottest SCMS I ever experience. Saw 4 runners collapsed along the way but they well attended by medical staff. Luckily for this year SCMS there seem to be more medical staff than previous year.

Btw, did anyone spot the 11km marker for the FM? It said something like "what are you staring at? Run faster! You're near the finish line". Seriously? With more than 30km to go? Hahahaha

I think its becos timing was an issue last year and there was a lot of complaints.

Did anyone see the 5 Power Rangers from Japan? They were back again this year and I really pity them running under the hot sun in their costumes, I saw them running towards the finish line when 8h was almost up..

Talking about the power rangers from Japan, I saw them in Osaka Marathon this year and they took 6 hours to finish.

I guess the morning race weather was really tough for them :blink:

Btw, did anyone spot the 11km marker for the FM? It said something like "what are you staring at? Run faster! You're near the finish line". Seriously? With more than 30km to go? Hahahaha

That is poor placement of the race motivating statement <_<

It sounds like this year SCMS has more complaints than positive points to note.

http://m.todayonline.com/sports/mixed-reactions-running-stanchart-marathon

"While many gave positive reviews to how this years SCMS which featured Ethiopias two-time Olympic gold medallist Haile Gebrselassie in the 10km race was run, there was also plenty of criticism, ranging from inept volunteers and medical personnel to poor dissemination of race information, insufficient drinks and power gels, and bottlenecks.

A participant was also believed to have been sent to hospital after a suspected cardiac arrest, while several others were seen lying face-up on the side of the road while receiving attention from medical personnel, presumably due to exhaustion."

yea.. .this year the heat was one of the worse i had encountered before as well.. i rem there was once which i was caught with this type of temp but cant rem which year.... if only they can start the race earlier, every minute means less time under the sun.....

i ran the half marathon and saw many runners collapsed as well.... some were in a daze and i believe its the heat exhaustion..... i think most of you ran the FM, so if wanna know more about the HM race review, read my post below.

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/standard-chartered-marathon-singapore-2014/

Wah..... This so demoralizing .....not helpful

And i think at one of the 30km+ marker, the statement was something like "You signed up to run, not walk!" Ironically, everyone around me was walking.. lolz..

And i think at one of the 30km+ marker, the statement was something like "You signed up to run, not walk!" Ironically, everyone around me was walking.. lolz..

haha.. ya, i saw this one!

Overall, I like the segregation of routes. Going up sheares bridge without having to weave in and out is good. Although I wish they had closed the entire bridge like in previous years. Instead, they stingy and just closed one lane. There were also separate lanes while turning into Anderson bridge for 10km runners. By the time I finished, most of the HM runners had completed. Hence I didn't face any jam as I approached the finishing line.

at the finishing line sure wun have any jam with the Hm, cause the merge for HM and others came only at the last 500m and there's a segregation barrier in btw... hahah

My 4th SCMS HM this year & this is the toughest. The AYE stretch was like a warzone with many mini BCS.

If ppl can complain under Hivelocity, there is not enough water, then we can add no bananas & below average medal (in terms of size & thickness versus past scms) to the "achievement" of the new organiser.

Imagine reaching 16km mark (10-18km was on the burning bridge) & was told there was no water at the hydration station where it was needed most. Cant describe the disappointment & thirst. I only dared to made the hard decision to consume my one & only gel after 17km (since i am not sure if the hydration stn ahead will be out of water as well) before my legs cramp.

Bring back hivelocity anytime haa

My 4th SCMS HM this year & this is the toughest. The AYE stretch was like a warzone with many mini BCS.

If ppl can complain under Hivelocity, there is not enough water, then we can add no bananas & below average medal (in terms of size & thickness versus past scms) to the "achievement" of the new organiser.

Imagine reaching 16km mark (10-18km was on the burning bridge) & was told there was no water at the hydration station where it was needed most. Cant describe the disappointment & thirst. I only dared to made the hard decision to consume my one & only gel after 17km (since i am not sure if the hydration stn ahead will be out of water as well) before my legs cramp.

Bring back hivelocity anytime haa

The burning bridge... like this term cause everyone was like being bbq-ed on the bridge with nowhere to go... and i see many walkers trying to squeeze themselves to the most right of the bridge for some shade... which didnt help much...

It is my wife's first FM in SCMS. I ran with her all the way and as expected got swearing from Fort road onwards...haha!!

There was 1 missing gel station, right? I did not banana also...

I told my wife "gel station coming soon"...but it never came!! This is serious problem man!

Only the one in Marina barrage got gels. Is good because Shotz is my regular brand.

Some nice people (volunteers?) were giving out bottled water that was very kind.

OK she struggled but we finished all good in one piece :) She say no more FM for her (again!) :)

It is my wife's first FM in SCMS. I ran with her all the way and as expected got swearing from Fort road onwards...haha!!

There was 1 missing gel station, right? I did not banana also...

I told my wife "gel station coming soon"...but it never came!! This is serious problem man!

Only the one in Marina barrage got gels. Is good because Shotz is my regular brand.

Some nice people (volunteers?) were giving out bottled water that was very kind.

OK she struggled but we finished all good in one piece :) She say no more FM for her (again!) :)

near the 21km u turn point, i saw 2 tables with used gel packets on them.. ran out of gels?

Next year bring umbrella

for both sun and rain.... good use......

I think I saw an uncle doing FM with an umbrella.