Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

Dun rely on Singapore organisers. This is one thing I learn from sundown and standchart. Always prepare your own supply of energy gel and muscle rub

This is good advice from ayukawa22 but for first timers to such big scale sg running events, they won't know until they experience it.

The sun was reli punishing... I saw runners at almost all points where there are medic along the route.. all too heated up from the weather...

There is a reli big issue here with the hydration .... I will elaborate more in my.blog...... which Isn't ready yet..

The grueling stretch of 30-33km was super hot at 9+am, and there was no water point n many had gone down at that stretch. N surprisingly only a couple of marshals n no medics on standby. Saw many casualties today, hope they r OK.

Sorry off topic, anyone wanna exchange finisher with me. I have S, but too tight. Want to exchange to M. PM ME.

Unworn, only try out the size. Tag not removed. I expect the same condition too.

Kudos to orange,coca cola stations volunteers (though I don't drink coke), also the killer sun is terrible, those xmm kanna roasted with no tent/ umbrella and some spots don't have sufficient shade from trees... terrible

As expected , I am going to deal with endless slopes. To my surprise , got my timing for HM !! :sword:

Well , my 3rd time running SCM HM, I say this year route was interesting, except for sentosa . it further down to near Alexandra and turning in to CBD area which was something new......I have to agreed that the route from Vivo > Alexandra > U Turn > Keppel , it was really a long stretch but I kinda like that route , scenic cos we hardly run along that expressway

Water was okok , there was gels given out after out of Sentosa 9-10km... and there was a number of of volunteers holding the active cream , not sure which brand, Tiger Balm ?

At the starting point , I was the Wave 1 and I heard Wave 3 started at 7am !! :startle: The sun was up at around 730am. At 8am, it was already quite hot....

Anyway, I enjoyed throughout.... :D :D

Kudos to orange,coca cola stations volunteers (though I don't drink coke), also the killer sun is terrible, those xmm kanna roasted with no tent/ umbrella and some spots don't have sufficient shade from trees... terrible

Someone was also giving away Apollo Chocolate Cake. I must thank these people, I missed my banana and this is the next best thing. Lucky I had my own water and I was able to gobble and wash it down with water. No joke, I was that hungry!

big_thumb_549a.png

Luckily I finished the 42km race around 9am, otherwise I would have to suffer under the heat from the sun...

The last time I experienced a hot race is in 2007. Got sunburn after finishing my marathon, especially when I'm still a snail runner at that time...

I'm one of the snail runners, I'm not fast all along plus my injury so i took things really slow. When I was bathing just now, i saw the shape of the racer back runner tee is really imprinted onto my skin already.. almost sun burnt!

Start at 5am, finish at 9am, so is around 4 hours. :P

Good for you. I selected 5-6hr estimated finishing. Took off at the last wave, which was gun time + 20min. Big regret, since I am usually sub-5. Got baked by the sun for so long. Still managed a sub-5. No more 'old hero' next time.

The U access auto sign me up as a blue bib, so kind of heng to get flagged off earlier, but really paiseh after that as I was surrounded by red bib people. :P

yes, no banana at all. :growl:

the gel also kns, only give at 36km.

What happened to SCMS this year? No banana at all and for the slower runners, no gel also. Its insane when even the HM runners get their gels! I carried my own gels but was mentally prepared for the gel station to come up, thus only had 2. When we reached the Marina Barrage water point, the helper were shouting that its the last hydration station and we had 7km more to go under the hot sun! As we passed the remaining 7km, we realised that the last two stations ran out of water. Its really a torture as we had no water just before going up the sheares bridge and the weather was so bad.

Luckily for me, something strange happened yesterday when I was preparing my SPI belt, for the first time in my life, I prepared some money for a race. I even put in a chocolate bar into my belt for the first time in my life. When i passed Satay by the Bay, I went to buy my own water and banana. It really saved my life. When we passed the F1 pit where the last hydration station was supposed to be but they ran out of water, the helpers were kind enough to give us 500ml mineral water, I supposed they quickly get some backup water or the ambulances staff will be really busy. I also pity the helpers who were sitting and melting under the hot sun, suffering with us. :P

Just enjoyed a hot shower and a nice meal. I hear thunder rolling outside so i guess its going to rain and also time for me to knock out. How I wish it rained a little just now during the race!

What happened to SCMS this year? No banana at all and for the slower runners, no gel also. Its insane when even the HM runners get their gels! I carried my own gels but was mentally prepared for the gel station to come up, thus only had 2. When we reached the Marina Barrage water point, the helper were shouting that its the last hydration station and we had 7km more to go under the hot sun! As we passed the remaining 7km, we realised that the last two stations ran out of water. Its really a torture as we had no water just before going up the sheares bridge and the weather was so bad.

Luckily for me, something strange happened yesterday when I was preparing my SPI belt, for the first time in my life, I prepared some money for a race. I even put in a chocolate bar into my belt for the first time in my life. When i passed Satay by the Bay, I went to buy my own water and banana. It really saved my life. When we passed the F1 pit where the last hydration station was supposed to be but they ran out of water, the helpers were kind enough to give us 500ml mineral water, I supposed they quickly get some backup water or the ambulances staff will be really busy. I also pity the helpers who were sitting and melting under the hot sun, suffering with us. :P

Just enjoyed a hot shower and a nice meal. I hear thunder rolling outside so i guess its going to rain and also time for me to knock out. How I wish it rained a little just now during the race!

That sounds really bad for those who did the full marathon, from the hydration stations running out of water to zero banana even after the event? :phew:

As I am typing this, I don't think you want this extent of heavy downpour with lighting flashes and thunders happening during your race.

A little rain will be good though :turned:

Once again, congrats to all participants of SCMS (be it full, half mara and 10km)!

seriously it happened? last water point with 7km left? Its a killer and a serious safety hazard...ppl can jus collapsed at the shears bridge.. For marathon, actually the last few KMs is the most crucial as ppl tend to wanna chiong and may get in shock/dehydration easily...

actually this is my first time missing the banana carbs.. maybe later go ntuc buy banana... haha

I think we all agree the weather was really killing.. congrats to everyone who completed although my timing was poor poor poor as i didnt train properly due to new job. Having no gel really makes the journey tougher for average Joe. luckily i had 2 gels myself and lasted till 20+km, obviously i was looking for

more but it didnt come.

really nice gestures for those who make coke for us, though i'm not sure the effects on the body is good ? :D

This is my 4th year running and i must say ECP is really a boring stretch and the construction area as well....

Wow! So your timing is 3:30! *salute

Anyway the finisher tee design looks yucky =x

Totally agree. Worst ever design

The baggage pick up after the run also wtf... Made us walk back to the floating platform when my office is just opposite Padang....,

Dun rely on Singapore organisers. This is one thing I learn from sundown and standchart. Always prepare your own supply of energy gel and muscle rub

This is good advice from ayukawa22 but for first timers to such big scale sg running events, they won't know until they experience it.

But must remember this is supposed to be a Gold label status marathon. We expect the organisers to provide decent support to runners eg providing bananas.

Enjoyed the HM race today, started in first wave and glad that I managed to finish by 8.30am before the sun came out which definitely made the long AYE stretch a baking oven!!!

The seperation of HM from FM N 10k definitely helped to alleviate the congestion issue compared to last year. Thanks to fellow runners who encouraged and pushed me on in last 2k, really happy to achieve my PB target! :)

Just 2 issues ... No bananas at finishing point?? This is the first race without bananas!! Even charity races gave out bananas at the end. Forget about the bells n whistles, give us our bananas!!!

And those flight of stairs to baggage collection point!!! My heart goes out to FM runners!

Anyway, good race to end the year. Congrats to all finishers today! ???

As expected , I am going to deal with endless slopes. To my surprise , got my timing for HM !! :sword:

Well , my 3rd time running SCM HM, I say this year route was interesting, except for sentosa . it further down to near Alexandra and turning in to CBD area which was something new......I have to agreed that the route from Vivo > Alexandra > U Turn > Keppel , it was really a long stretch but I kinda like that route , scenic cos we hardly run along that expressway

Water was okok , there was gels given out after out of Sentosa 9-10km... and there was a number of of volunteers holding the active cream , not sure which brand, Tiger Balm ?

At the starting point , I was the Wave 1 and I heard Wave 3 started at 7am !! :startle: The sun was up at around 730am. At 8am, it was already quite hot....

Anyway, I enjoyed throughout.... :D :D

seriously it happened? last water point with 7km left? Its a killer and a serious safety hazard...ppl can jus collapsed at the shears bridge.. For marathon, actually the last few KMs is the most crucial as ppl tend to wanna chiong and may get in shock/dehydration easily...

actually this is my first time missing the banana carbs.. maybe later go ntuc buy banana... haha

Actually for the last few km, you can constantly hear the ambulance siren throughout. I even ran pass someone whom collapsed from heat exhaustion. Lucky thing he is still conscious.

This year FM also noticed a lot of people just sit down under the shade to take a breather from the hot sun...

Can go standard chartered bank and redeem the bananas? lolz

Extracted from SCSM Facebook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sincerely apologise for the absence of bananas at the banana station. This was due to a glitch with our vendor on our end, and is something we have marked out for improvement the next time round. Our runners' wellbeing and interests are always one of our top priorities, and we will be doing our best to ensure such a situation does not happen again.

Thank you.

There seems to be improvement in the isotonic drink?

Really? They gave me 100plus, but didn't help, felt more like 100minus.

We sincerely apologise for the absence of bananas at the banana station. This was due to a glitch with our vendor on our end..

They brought durians instead?

Last year they replayed the entire event on their YT channel, I hope they do the same this year.

sigh.......... once again. cant fall asleep after the run. Tht is my problem with gels. Turning and tossing in bed for the past 2hrs and still wide awake. Body is tired but the mid is damn awake..

did the 21k. Saw up to 5 casualties. there is this one ang moh lying on stretcher covered in pee n poo. Looks quite bad. and another girl totally dazed sitting down lying against the wall attended by medic.... the route after sentosa along the expressway is totally unforgiving really lived up to its name of 'Unforgiving Bridge'.. A lot of people gave up running along that stretch. But what I like is the run into CBD area. Totally new and refreshing. But what I wished they would do in future is to reduce the distance on the bridge for the benefit of most runners. Probably remove the bridge sector. Exit Sentosa and head left along the road and under the bridge, u-turn and head into Cantonment, go into Chinatown and then back to end point via CBD. This should be an interesting route...

but wht surprised me was the free flow of apples and pastries n puffs n water at the float. it was there for all to take n enjoy.

HM route is ridiculous, obviously organiser planned it for selfish commercial reason. I lost count on how many slopes we have to run up and down.

Also 100plus most be expensive nowadays, they are only available from the 10km water points onwards.

I wonder if organiser first time organise big event or the bank low on budget for bananas & gels?

We provided power gels at the gel stations in bulk for runners to consume but the gels, while in large amounts, are still on a first-come-first-served basis. Some runners will regrettably miss out on obtaining the gels during the race. We are also reviewing the logistics pertaining to the gels for an improvement on the next race.

yes, no banana at all. :growl:

the gel also kns, only give at 36km.

No bananas really??? I thought I missed it! I was so hungry and ran out of gel > 32km. This Caucasian runner was asking a volunteer if she has any food. She said no. I told him at 32km mark that bananas should be given at the next 1 or 2 water points and I am also looking fwd to it. Sadly I was wrong... I hope he is OK, he was really bonking then. Anyway I have to slow my pace to take the gel at 36km mark which only kicked into effect at 40km. Was a horrible 33 to 40km for me.

I didn't really get bothered by the sun, I was too hungry.. haha... next time, need to plan my refueling strategy better, cannot always depend on organiser's bananas and gels.

I always bring 2 fun pack snickers with me...in case no food.

I wonder if organiser first time organise big event or the bank low on budget for bananas & gels?

We provided power gels at the gel stations in bulk for runners to consume but the gels, while in large amounts, are still on a first-come-first-served basis. Some runners will regrettably miss out on obtaining the gels during the race. We are also reviewing the logistics pertaining to the gels for an improvement on the next race.

I took 1 gel at 32km mark or earlier but definitely not 36km. The guy at the table told runners, "please take the gels,a few also can".. I was like 'huh..can like that meh since many ppl are still behind..

I wonder if organiser first time organise big event or the bank low on budget for bananas & gels? Extracted from SCSM Facebook--------------------------------------------------------------------------We provided power gels at the gel stations in bulk for runners to consume but the gels, while in large amounts, are still on a first-come-first-served basis. Some runners will regrettably miss out on obtaining the gels during the race. We are also reviewing the logistics pertaining to the gels for an improvement on the next race.

I took 1 gel at 32km mark or earlier but definitely not 36km. The guy at the table told runners, "please take the gels,a few also can".. I was like 'huh..can like that meh since many ppl are still behind..

That's the reason why those at the back dun have lo...haa...

Can go standard chartered bank and redeem the bananas? lolzExtracted from SCSM Facebook--------------------------------------------------------------------------We sincerely apologise for the absence of bananas at the banana station. This was due to a glitch with our vendor on our end, and is something we have marked out for improvement the next time round. Our runners' wellbeing and interests are always one of our top priorities, and we will be doing our best to ensure such a situation does not happen again.Thank you.

So where did all the bananas go?

I think the reason given is just cover up, even if the banana came late...they can put at the last few water stations...

I think tHE ONLY REASON...did not order at all.