Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

I just wish the route will go thru the heartland instead of the usual routes. Logistically nightmarish, but so much more inspirational and meaningful. Imagine your neighbors cheering you on.

You know, I kinda agree. If the neighbors come out onto their balcony or open their kitchen windows or something to cheer on runners with banners, whistles, etc...wow. Hmm though again, I'm not sure if Singaporeans will do these things... Not like big Western marathons...

Maybe a 'competition' among the diff district?

Your point brought back memories of the Hunger Games for me, haha.

Out of all those "eligible" contenders, one male and one female will be "chosen" by ballot from each district to 'represent' their district and battle each other in a game of survival (i.e. running for their lives).

Throughout their survival challenge, they will face obstacles (i.e. cramps, dehydration, hunger) and must battle it out for the ultimate crown of Hunger Games victor i.e. winner.

May the odds be EVER in your favour - as Effie Trinket says.

The champion will be the one who outlasts everyone else to survive i.e beats all of the others.

Anyway, as to what SCMS really means, I guess we runners have to just wait and see. :)

Ha ha... hmmm... think Dr Mok stays in Central or North, they hv higher chance...

Hahaha...

I just wish the route will go thru the heartland instead of the usual routes. Logistically nightmarish, but so much more inspirational and meaningful. Imagine your neighbors cheering you on.

i can't really remember much (logistics wise) about my first and only ever running event (back then), the '91 Mobil Marathon ...

it started from the National Stadium, down Katong Changi Hougang AMK ? Lakeview ... Kallang ... end at Stadium ....

(dun join the dots ... they dun match lol ... what i remember was there was a heavy downpour and i then i suffered cramps and seeked muscle rub from a medical tent somewhere next to the road at Sin Ming (Lakeview) area ...

i honestly can't remember how many hydration points there were ... i bet not as many as these days !

and think no gels or banana booth (or perhaps i sua ku dunno what they are for lol)

there was no cheering ... and isolated supporters are those fortunate runners who have family support

their family members would wait at a predetermined point and offered the runner drinks and bananas (that's why i think no gels and banana booth then)

more likely to be greeted with :

seow ah ... 42KM ... then any cheering lah then

i think if now, perhaps also more or less the same ...

i know passing motorists would be none too pleased with the inconvenienced cause as a result of road closures, detours, congestion, etc ... and would actually be the ones most likely to give you a look that is self-explanatory lol

that's really a longggg ago race which i never hear before...hahah.... this post also made me wonder what they are planning to do.... running around Sg for the 42km sounds quite impossible......

Saw this posted on the SCMS Facebook page....wonder what is it all about :turned:

Quote: "We're keeping the juicy details quiet until 16 July 2014…but if we could give you ONE hint: SCMS 2014 will bring about the rise of heartland communities. Do you know which community you belong to?"

10268549_722177454495832_678435463389254

Saw that on Facebook too.

If I were to take a stab at what that could means, maybe they're going to have on-site race registration cum carnivals at each heartland community. So that means runners can choose to go to the nearest one to sign up for the race on the day itself.

But then again, I could be wrong.

That's a big and realistic possibility...one of my friends suggested it could be various start points and all run to the same end point...this is certainly and logistically not possible lor :rock:

You guys are right!

SCMS14-Infographics-RegistrationKeyDates

http://www.marathonsingapore.com/news/are-you-ready/#content

Saw this posted on the SCMS Facebook page....wonder what is it all about :turned:

Quote: "We're keeping the juicy details quiet until 16 July 2014…but if we could give you ONE hint: SCMS 2014 will bring about the rise of heartland communities. Do you know which community you belong to?"

10268549_722177454495832_678435463389254

Saw that on Facebook too.

If I were to take a stab at what that could means, maybe they're going to have on-site race registration cum carnivals at each heartland community. So that means runners can choose to go to the nearest one to sign up for the race on the day itself.

But then again, I could be wrong.

If it's onsite registration, then the information is already out, no need to wait til 16th July to know, Should be something else?

SCMS14-Infographics-RegistrationKeyDates

for those running the Ekiden (6xrunners running a leg each to complete a full marathon), there will be a fundraising in which the team must raise $500 as part of their participation, beside the $360 registration fees.. prfft..

Not necessary same registration price as stated leh. $65/- reg for FM only restricted to 2500.

something different is that Ekiden teams now have to put in S$500 donation to enter.... soemthing quite new... think of the fast registration take up rate...they came up with this new idea...

Holy cow... Just $1? Gonna buy 100 of it n sell for 8000$profit hahahahahahaha

$1/- only if willing to Q overnight. Cannot transfer bib leh.

i tihnk so ah....the 15% discount should be still more than $65 so its still more worthwhile to register during that period for past runners..

no early bird pricing?

Based on pricing policy, it should more inclined to past participants / SC credit card holder rather than ppl who willing to register early.

$65 still considered no major increase for the participants who support the events all e way... Should not complain too much for this year..

I brought 2nd hand bib last year so considered a non but i 'm holding a SC card... see how it go then... or else will go for another cheapp bib hunt here at the last minute. :money:

Great to know that there is no substantial increase in prices. Will sign up again this year!

Great to know that there is no substantial increase in prices. Will sign up again this year!

Yup, me too!! Signing up for my 5th SCMS 42km :thumbsu:

Already four years since inaugural SCMS 2010 Singapore and five years including this year; FM starts from Orchard Road, HM starts from Universal Studios Singapore in Sentosa and 10K from Helix Bridge. A bit bore !

Three years with ASICS apparel and two years with BROOKS apparel !

I really hope we can have same starting and end points and may change the venue to new Sports Hub or all backed to Esplanade bridge to reduce unnecessary transportation and to be more earth friendly by reducing carbon footprint !

Already four years since inaugural SCMS 2010 Singapore and five years including this year; FM starts from Orchard Road, HM starts from Universal Studios Singapore in Sentosa and 10K from Helix Bridge. A bit bore !

I really hope we can have same starting and end points and may change the venue to new Sports Hub or all backed to Esplanade bridge to reduce unnecessary transportation and to be more earth friendly by reducing carbon footprint !

same thoughts as me... i am getting a little bored... so might go for the HM instead.... cause i always support their FM and never understand why HM seems so popular....

Of all the SCMS finisher tees I had, 2008 edition Adidas sponsored is still my favourite piece. Hope they will bring back Adidas.

Of all the SCMS finisher tees I had, 2008 edition Adidas sponsored is still my favourite piece. Hope they will bring back Adidas.

Same sentiments! :)

Has this yr shirt sponsor being announced yet? I dun see any sponsors on their page other than StandChart.

So maybe they are still tendering. And if enough of us go and complain about the lousy quality of Brooks, maybe they wont get it, no matter how cheap their tender is.

Sounds like a plan??

free???? got free things in this world de meh......

Got ! Just need you to believe it. Everything is possible....