Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

the organiser has improved to obtain/maintain the IAAF Gold and i believe the elites felt that the race is Great....... who cares about the rest of us?? hahahhah..... if IAAF Gold requires 50% of the runners t ofeel satisfactory in all aspects of the race, only that would change the runners' experiences.... agree??

the organiser has improved to obtain/maintain the IAAF Gold and i believe the elites felt that the race is Great....... who cares about the rest of us?? hahahhah..... if IAAF Gold requires 50% of the runners t ofeel satisfactory in all aspects of the race, only that would change the runners' experiences.... agree??

Pls lah. I probably sound cynical when I says this but which sports association or federation does it for the good of the common people? FIFA, FIA, IAAF. IOC. etcc They are all the same. A bunch of old farts crazy about holding court and powers and pretending to be important to some people; and all the while claiming to be promoting the sports for the good of all. The only thing they are interested in is money. Do they really care about the experience of the common folks? Of cos they dun. So why should their be any requirement in the IAAF gold certification for runner's experience.

To put things into better prospective, these are the Gold label requirements:

• Eligible races categories: Marathons, Half-Marathons, other “official distances” for which World Records are recognised: 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 100km and “Classical” races over non-standard distances (i.e. Paris – Versailles over 17.6km).
  • Races must have an ‘international elite field’ with a minimum of five men and five women participating in the competition in the relevant Label category. Elite runners must be of at least 5 different nationalities (note: this could be, for example, elite men from 3 countries and elite women from 2 countries for mixed gender races).
  • Courses must have been measured within the 5 years preceding the race by an IAAF/AIMS “A” or “B” Course Measurer and an International Measurement Certificate issued by the International Measurement Administrator
  • Full electronic timing must be in place to provide split timing and final results.
  • The event must be broadcasted on a live or delayed basis on television within the country, or delivered to a good standard through online streaming. Gold Label races must be broadcast in a minimum of five countries, while Silver Label races must have live coverage available on a national broadcaster. A centre must be specifically provided for media personnel, and TV monitors and commentary facilities must be present for Gold Label races.
  • The race organisers must have a dedicated website with published results and must hold press conferences to support the event.
  • Race must have been established for at least 2 years prior to application.
  • The race must be organised in a way that minimizes ecological damage to the surrounding areas.
  • All traffic must be closed off from the race course at all times during the competition.
  • There must be adequate medical provision for the number of runners at the race.
  • A number of doping tests must be carried out after each race.
  • All prize money and bonuses offered should be equal, irrespective of the athlete’s nationality or gender – however, race organisers are allowed to offer additional bonuses to competitors from the host country in order to boost local participation.
  • All Gold Label Races must provide a giant video screen

Apart from the provision of medical support and the closing of roads for traffic, most of the other requirements are meaningless and contributed nothing to the overall running experience. So its more like a prestige attachment more than anything else. Like how some brand name claimed they are a 'Superbrand' or some company certified themselves for ISO14000 or SQA.

For me, its not about the IAAF gold label that makes me want to join this race. I agree with wonderfulblevic that SCMS is special simply because its a 'home' marathon. And I also like to think its like Olympic for common people.

i find this specific clause funny......

• Full electronic timing must be in place to provide split timing and final results."

cause it mentioned that the timing must be provided with split timings.... but seems like it doesnt matter if some of the common runners do not get the timing due to technical fault.... no penalties or anything...... but well..... its still our "home" ground so..... carry on.....

for

quote name="Konnichiwa" post="487684" timestamp="1402445007"]

Organizers should seek to improve the quality of the race since it wants to raise the price.

Price increase as designer fee increased to design the shirt n medals, tailor fees increase, rental increases.... Haha hahaha.. Except our pay hahahahaha

for

quote name="Konnichiwa" post="487684" timestamp="1402445007"]

Organizers should seek to improve the quality of the race since it wants to raise the price.

Price increase as designer fee increased to design the shirt n medals, tailor fees increase, rental increases.... Haha hahaha.. Except our pay hahahahaha

Still contemplating whether to join this year's SCMS as I'm thinking of joining SCM KL this coming october...

If I get a free accommodation in KL, I "might" do both. Emphasize on the word might :phew:

free???? got free things in this world de meh......

Of course there is. But that depends on who you know, and who knows you in return haha

free???? got free things in this world de meh......

Of course there is. But that depends on who you know, and who knows you in return haha

Uhuh. That's what you call connections i.e. FRIENDS :friends::blush:

Actually need not be friends... Can be friend of friends sometimes or Wat they called acquaintances...

Or simple word, connection....

Unfortunately my current work line I can't take hahahahaha

Saw this posted on the SCMS Facebook page....wonder what is it all about :turned:

Quote: "We're keeping the juicy details quiet until 16 July 2014…but if we could give you ONE hint: SCMS 2014 will bring about the rise of heartland communities. Do you know which community you belong to?"

10268549_722177454495832_678435463389254

Saw this posted on the SCMS Facebook page....wonder what is it all about :turned:

Quote: "We're keeping the juicy details quiet until 16 July 2014…but if we could give you ONE hint: SCMS 2014 will bring about the rise of heartland communities. Do you know which community you belong to?"

Saw that on Facebook too.

If I were to take a stab at what that could means, maybe they're going to have on-site race registration cum carnivals at each heartland community. So that means runners can choose to go to the nearest one to sign up for the race on the day itself.

But then again, I could be wrong.

If I were to take a stab at what that could means, maybe they're going to have on-site race registration cum carnivals at each heartland community. So that means runners can choose to go to the nearest one to sign up for the race on the day itself.

That's a big and realistic possibility...one of my friends suggested it could be various start points and all run to the same end point...this is certainly and logistically not possible lor :rock:

Quote: "We're keeping the juicy details quiet until 16 July 2014but if we could give you ONE hint: SCMS 2014 will bring about the rise of heartland communities. Do you know which community you belong to?"

That's a big and realistic possibility...one of my friends suggested it could be various start points and all run to the same end point...this is certainly and logistically not possible lor :rock:

your friend's suggestion DEFINITELY will NEVER happen lah

first and foremost, how are they gonna stamp out the rats like last year's "champ"

I think Pris' hunch is the more likely scenario

secretly I hoping its a return to the donkey years route where they started from the National Stadium (Sports Hub) and the route cuts thru certain sections of SG heartland ....

but I know this is also just as unlikely as your friend's idea lol

final word ... perhaps they going to promote in the heartlands to entice more participants and special rates for those who'd signed up for ActiveSG membership ???

Every year they got promote in the heartland... Like last year remember got in jurong east... N some other places...

Maybe a 'competition' among the diff district?

Your point brought back memories of the Hunger Games for me, haha.

Out of all those "eligible" contenders, one male and one female will be "chosen" by ballot from each district to 'represent' their district and battle each other in a game of survival (i.e. running for their lives).

Throughout their survival challenge, they will face obstacles (i.e. cramps, dehydration, hunger) and must battle it out for the ultimate crown of Hunger Games victor i.e. winner.

May the odds be EVER in your favour - as Effie Trinket says.

The champion will be the one who outlasts everyone else to survive i.e beats all of the others.

Anyway, as to what SCMS really means, I guess we runners have to just wait and see. :)

Maybe a 'competition' among the diff district?

Your point brought back memories of the Hunger Games for me, haha.

Out of all those "eligible" contenders, one male and one female will be "chosen" by ballot from each district to 'represent' their district and battle each other in a game of survival (i.e. running for their lives).

Throughout their survival challenge, they will face obstacles (i.e. cramps, dehydration, hunger) and must battle it out for the ultimate crown of Hunger Games victor i.e. winner.

May the odds be EVER in your favour - as Effie Trinket says.

The champion will be the one who outlasts everyone else to survive i.e beats all of the others.

Anyway, as to what SCMS really means, I guess we runners have to just wait and see. :)

Ha ha... hmmm... think Dr Mok stays in Central or North, they hv higher chance...

I just wish the route will go thru the heartland instead of the usual routes. Logistically nightmarish, but so much more inspirational and meaningful. Imagine your neighbors cheering you on.