Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

Quoted some of you guys from the forum in my blog, for my latest SCMS article - about the new SCMS race routes.

Check out the link to my blog post, to find out who got quoted and what you said. Hope that this is ok with everyone! Please let me know otherwise.

http://www.prischew.com/running/scms-2014-new-race-routes/

Hi Pris,

Thanks for quoting me! Sorry if my previous post was not very clear though, I actually was focusing on 2 particular groups of people. Hope this may clarify things!

1) The speedier FMers (those aiming for a 3:30 - 4) could avoid the 2 - 2:30 HMers (I presume to be a sizeable group). This is because the FM and HM start 1:30 apart (5am/6.30am)

2) The speedy HMers (those aiming for a sub 1:45) could avoid the 1hour 10km runners (a pretty large group too I'm guessing?) This is because the HM and 10km start 0:45 apart (6:30am/7.15am)

This is because at their running speeds, weaving through enormous crowds of people running at a different around may be dangerous. As for other runners who aren't speeding through, though a bottleneck will certainly have been experienced had the route not been modified, I'm supposing it would be less of a safety hazard.

Cheers :)

selling men's FM slot at $40 ( size M for singlet and finisher tee) as I am out of town.

My loss, your gain :)

selling men's FM slot at $40 ( size M for singlet and finisher tee) as I am out of town.

Wow... Last min bib is "earlier" than i expected! chk ur PM!

Been running SC FM for 10 years. Most boring route. In the name of the so called "Singapore efficiency", making one running looping route in East Coast park just to save having to close roads. That's why I boycotted 2XU marathon even I had paid up. Simply no brainer. I don't need event organiser to have this for I can alway run this route on my own.

To me, a good route is not to make one having to run outbound knowing you have to make U-turn to loop back. This year SC needing one to make 5 such loops. Boring.

Been running SC FM for 10 years. Most boring route. In the name of the so called "Singapore efficiency", making one running looping route in East Coast park just to save having to close roads. That's why I boycotted 2XU marathon even I had paid up. Simply no brainer. I don't need event organiser to have this for I can alway run this route on my own.

To me, a good route is not to make one having to run outbound knowing you have to make U-turn to loop back. This year SC needing one to make 5 such loops. Boring.

ya.. i agreed e route is getting mono after so many years.... Personally i still prefer the old padang start/end route... Some may say Sg is small island but organizer nver seem to look at other side of e island... Instead of east side, the route can venture to the west side of sg.. Yes. It will take more effort to plan and come up with the new route.. so might as well save the effort to stick to the old route...

That the thing I dun understand whenever our Singapore Marathon route get criticised for being the same old boring route.

I mean is it not the same for the Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, New York City and Tokyo marathons? As far as I know, the route is the same every year but no one complains that it is boring for these marathons.

But I would say that saying the route is boring may be a matter of perception. Because the route can be the same but things along the route dun remain static and I'm sure that it has changed over the years. Even 'boring ECP' is undergoing changes of a sort.

As for running loops, I agree that it is not the most fun thing to do and it used to bother me. But not anymore so again I would suggest it is a matter of mental adaption.

In the final analysis, running a marathon is more than just the running but also the testing of one ability. And of cos it should be enjoyable too. If its not fun and enjoyable, then yeah, its time to stop running.

running a marathon used to be enjoyable for many.... but seeing everyone trying to outdo their own timing has made the marathon a little more stressful and tiring for some.... so most important is also to know how to make the fun and enjoyment out of trying hard to outdo the timing.... this is just part of one's own mind.... some runners get the enjoyment when they get their pb thru sweat and hardwork... other runners get the joy from completing..... so as long as you enjoy it, it works......

Quoted some of you guys from the forum in my blog, for my latest SCMS article - about the new SCMS race routes.

Check out the link to my blog post, to find out who got quoted and what you said. Hope that this is ok with everyone! Please let me know otherwise.

http://www.prischew.com/running/scms-2014-new-race-routes/

Hi Pris,

Thanks for quoting me! Sorry if my previous post was not very clear though, I actually was focusing on 2 particular groups of people. Hope this may clarify things!

1) The speedier FMers (those aiming for a 3:30 - 4) could avoid the 2 - 2:30 HMers (I presume to be a sizeable group). This is because the FM and HM start 1:30 apart (5am/6.30am)

2) The speedy HMers (those aiming for a sub 1:45) could avoid the 1hour 10km runners (a pretty large group too I'm guessing?) This is because the HM and 10km start 0:45 apart (6:30am/7.15am)

This is because at their running speeds, weaving through enormous crowds of people running at a different around may be dangerous. As for other runners who aren't speeding through, though a bottleneck will certainly have been experienced had the route not been modified, I'm supposing it would be less of a safety hazard.

Cheers :)

Hey immanence. Noted, thanks. :)

That the thing I dun understand whenever our Singapore Marathon route get criticised for being the same old boring route.

I mean is it not the same for the Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, New York City and Tokyo marathons? As far as I know, the route is the same every year but no one complains that it is boring for these marathons.

But I would say that saying the route is boring may be a matter of perception. Because the route can be the same but things along the route dun remain static and I'm sure that it has changed over the years. Even 'boring ECP' is undergoing changes of a sort.

As for running loops, I agree that it is not the most fun thing to do and it used to bother me. But not anymore so again I would suggest it is a matter of mental adaption.

In the final analysis, running a marathon is more than just the running but also the testing of one ability. And of cos it should be enjoyable too. If its not fun and enjoyable, then yeah, its time to stop running.

Guess you can never please everyone.

No matter what, people are always bound to complain.

U want new, unique running route, go take part in some non-city races. There are plenty to choose from. Jurong Lake Run, Yellow Ribbon Prison Run, etc, etc.

Wow... Last min bib is "earlier" than i expected! chk ur PM!

bro Wolf ...

the problem is not the route ...

the problem is unique to Singapore's flagship event ...

there is NO spectator support !

should one day the unlikely happens, packs of crowd (like F1) comes supporting the race ...

if they pack ECP as well ... then i bet u no one will be complaining about the monotony of the route

bro Wolf ...

should one day the unlikely happens, packs of crowd (like F1) comes supporting the race ...

if they pack ECP as well ... then i bet u no one will be complaining about the monotony of the route

OK. That makes more sense to be that just saying that the route is boring. B)

Does it really make a difference? I guess I will only know when (or if) I ran in an overseas marathon with awesome spectator support. :unknw:

bro Wolf ...

OK. That makes more sense to be that just saying that the route is boring. B)

Does it really make a difference? I guess I will only know when (or if) I ran in an overseas marathon with awesome spectator support. :unknw:

it makes a big difference..... especially when the entire route is filled with spectators and supporters..... some even setup tables to give out fruits or drinks to runners.... some will jus clap.... some will smile at you when u past by.... some will pull out their hands to hi-5 you... minority will even call out your name on your bib to encourage you..... in Sg, you might only hear horns from cars, people trying to cut across running route without even care if you are running into them (esp in ECP)...... there is just this difference which made the whole experience so diff

it makes a big difference..... especially when the entire route is filled with spectators and supporters..... some even setup tables to give out fruits or drinks to runners.... some will jus clap.... some will smile at you when u past by.... some will pull out their hands to hi-5 you... minority will even call out your name on your bib to encourage you..... in Sg, you might only hear horns from cars, people trying to cut across running route without even care if you are running into them (esp in ECP)...... there is just this difference which made the whole experience so diff

OK. Sound great but also a little superficial as well. But this overseas noob should tread carefully and probably not comment further until I had experience a marathon with great spectator support for myself. Dun want to unwittingly step on anyone's toes. :blush::closed:

OK. Sound great but also a little superficial as well. But this overseas noob should tread carefully and probably not comment further until I had experience a marathon with great spectator support for myself. Dun want to unwittingly step on anyone's toes. :blush::closed:

aiyo..... such things is again personal preference mah....like that where got step toes... hahah......

I remembered my HK SCM run. Somewhere along the star ferry terminal area, ppl r giving out fishballs, cakes, bananas. Totally didnt expect tht. It was something new for me. And 1.5km before the end when u come down frm the bridge of no return, spectators are alrdy lining up cheering for u. Totally different from what one will experience in SG and MY. Even Malaysia even are not anywhere close to HK SCM.

To me, HK SCM was a top notch event. The race experience was wonderful. This is the reason why race slots r always sold out within few hours of release. And I do know of ppl who take leave just to camp in frnt of the com just to get a slot.

And it still baffles me how did SCMS get its gold label whilr HK is only a silver medal.

I remembered my HK SCM run. Somewhere along the star ferry terminal area, ppl r giving out fishballs, cakes, bananas. Totally didnt expect tht. It was something new for me. And 1.5km before the end when u come down frm the bridge of no return, spectators are alrdy lining up cheering for u. Totally different from what one will experience in SG and MY. Even Malaysia even are not anywhere close to HK SCM.

To me, HK SCM was a top notch event. The race experience was wonderful. This is the reason why race slots r always sold out within few hours of release. And I do know of ppl who take leave just to camp in frnt of the com just to get a slot.

And it still baffles me how did SCMS get its gold label whilr HK is only a silver medal.

This criteria i not part of the assessment to award a race for the IAAF label.....

any Seinfeld fans here ?

reminds me of the episode ... The Hot Tub

I thought all the while many spectators cheering for the runners along the last 200 meters of the finishing line at Padang every years on one side next to the open field !

Besides, some cheering by the crowd along the ECP, some Samaritans given out fruits, jelly, water, isotonic drinks and wet sponge and even some time cheering from the cars' horn (not those frustrated drivers stuck in the road closure) ! :roadrage:

Many runners (including me) bitten the bullet :sick:and did the last dying dash just to show the spectators they were still strong but actually not !

I thought all the while many spectators cheering for the runners along the last 200 meters of the finishing line at Padang every years on one side next to the open field !

Besides, some cheering by the crowd along the ECP, some Samaritans given out fruits, jelly, water, isotonic drinks and wet sponge and even some time cheering from the cars' horn (not those frustrated drivers stuck in the road closure) ! :roadrage:

Many runners (including me) bitten the bullet :sick:and did the last dying dash just to show the spectators they were still strong but actually not !

haaa.... the last 200m those spectators were there waiting for their frens or family.... you dun see them clap or eye contact with u one......