Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

i hope they will have alot of toilets at the starting point for the 42km runner this year...

Yup, cos last year, there weren't enough toilets at Orchard Road start point. I was still queuing for the toilet when it was 5 minutes to flag off, and there were at least 8-9 persons lining up in front of me. So i skipped the toilet and went into the start pen. Right after flag off, i saw this line of guys relieving themselves into the big drain just after Kiliney Road. Without hesitation, i joined in the line as it was dark. At least 30-40 guys were all shooting into the drain at the same time :lolu: !!! Well, we wouldn't have to do this if there were enough toilets at the first place!! :shifty:

I envy the guys, I saw them running to the trees to relieve themselves within 500m after the start line of SCMS 2013 and the recent Straits Times run. For SCMS, I was lucky and followed some runners into one of the cafe nearby to use their toilets after depositing my bag. I was queueing for the toilet before the start of the Straits Times run, but gave up as the queue was so long, my bladder was bugging me once I started running so I had to stop to use the toilet after passing the F1 pit.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/ex-olympic-champion-gebrselassie-take-part-stanchart-marathon-si

A treat is in store for 10km runners at this December's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) as they may get a chance to rub shoulders with one of athletics' greatest champions.

Two-time Olympic and four-time world 10km champion Haile Gebrselassie confirmed he will be taking part in the 10km category of the SCMS.

The Ethiopian will also host a number of training clinics when he is in town, and share his experience with local runners. It will be his first trip to Singapore.

Said Gebrselassie, 41: "Everyone I've spoken with has told me the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore is one of the great events in Asia and I'm delighted to have chosen this race as my first running event in (South-east Asia)."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/ex-olympic-champion-gebrselassie-take-part-stanchart-marathon-si#sthash.PMgw9gNx.dpuf

I WANT. to meet him!

Gonna see what training clinics he s hosting and try my best to go!

Yup same. Want to see what tips I can pick up from a world champion.

Derek Li is one of Singapore's leading runners. He has a personal best timing of 2 hours and 42 minutes. Last year, at SCMS, he finished in sixth position, running the race in 3 hours and 6 minutes.

I managed to get an interview with Derek and had him answer some of the top questions that are in the minds of many runners today.

To find out what the questions are and how Derek answers them, do check out the link below.

Hope that SCMS runners will benefit from them! :D

http://www.prischew.com/running/scms-running-tips-singapore-derek-li/

Sg Runners, I said I was going to get this out soon, and here it is.

These are the much-awaited running tips and interview with Haile Gebrselaisse, the greatest ever long distance runner ever. At the ripe old age of 41, he is still very much a champion and running is still in his blood.

Find out what makes Haile tick, and get some useful advice from him about the upcoming SCMS too.

As you probably know already, he will be in Singapore this December and is taking part in the 10km category at SCMS - this is his first run in the South East Asian region.

Link Here: http://www.prischew.com/running/haile-gebrselaisse-scms-2014/

Thank you Pris for both posts. I particularly enjoyed your interview with Derek as he backed up much of his claims and advice with sound scientific reasoning :)

Thank you Pris for both posts. I particularly enjoyed your interview with Derek as he backed up much of his claims and advice with sound scientific reasoning :)

Hey there. So glad these tips helped you. :)

i like what he says ," a day without running is not a day." ...... i am surprised that he dun wan to retire.... but good move that he is moving towards the ultra distances instead of such speed burst distances.... thanks pris....

Sg Runners, I said I was going to get this out soon, and here it is.

These are the much-awaited running tips and interview with Haile Gebrselaisse, the greatest ever long distance runner ever. At the ripe old age of 41, he is still very much a champion and running is still in his blood.

Find out what makes Haile tick, and get some useful advice from him about the upcoming SCMS too.

As you probably know already, he will be in Singapore this December and is taking part in the 10km category at SCMS - this is his first run in the South East Asian region.

Link Here: http://www.prischew.com/running/haile-gebrselaisse-scms-2014/

Nice interview and good tips sharing from the 'Greatest Ever'!! I doubt i'll be able to make it for his running clinics, but will be waiting for your blog updates on them. :thumbsu:

Hey Autumn and Jerry, glad that you guys liked the blog posts.

Yup hopefully if I can make it to the training sessions with Haile, will definitely try and blog about them.

Aim to make it to front with haile, take selfies with him if possible... N note most of the time stanchart marathon broadcast live, when start buzzer... Sprint as if 100m...then can say I beat haile for first 100m...priceless...hahahahaha

Aim to make it to front with haile, take selfies with him if possible... N note most of the time stanchart marathon broadcast live, when start buzzer... Sprint as if 100m...then can say I beat haile for first 100m...priceless...hahahahaha

Kayses, you're doing 10km? Wah cool liao man... Literally running with Haile!!!

Get to know him first during the training sessions... Then after that on race day go to the front and chat with him. .. Maybe will be on tv...haa..

If he is racing to win I doubt not many runners will get to see him or run alongside with him. May be not even the elite runners. 26-27 mins vs 32-35 mins. End point@padang may be higher chance to get close to him.

I wish... Doing the fm.. But gonna be holiday 2 weeks before, be back only 2 days before fm... Gonna be a slow run walk strategy for scm hahahahaha

I wish... Doing the fm.. But gonna be holiday 2 weeks before, be back only 2 days before fm... Gonna be a slow run walk strategy for scm hahahahaha

Hmm, I see... Family holiday?

Guess you may still be lucky in terms of meeting him though, if Haile is having a clinic a day before the race or something? Dates aren't firmed up yet and there's still hope...

Hard to see Haile at the starting line though... Unless u are fast enough at your FM to complete the race before his 10km race flags off... hmm...

Again I wish... My timing probably all the winners alreadygo back hotel, or even take their flight home alalready hahahahaha

Again I wish... My timing probably all the winners alreadygo back hotel, or even take their flight home alalready hahahahaha

Hahaha... I'm sure you're not that slow :P

From the scms website the full marathon and ekiden race subscription are low. Looks like their marketing strategy to push for a higher price has back-fired. With lesser runners hope it will be a better race experience this year.

Actually I dun agree that the fee is higher this yr. In fact, for 1st time FM, I think its cheaper if you managed to secure an early slot.

As a 1st time FM last yr, I paid $85. This yr I secured an early slot and paid $65. Of cos as a past participant, I got an early bite but the $65 slot was still open for 1st time participant.

In fact, even at this late stage, it would still be cheaper to sign this yr compared to last yr ($90 vs $95).

So whatever the reason for the low take up rate, I dun think price is the only reasons.