Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

There's also a reason why I had stopped my streak of FM with SCMS this year (took HM) since 2008... soooooo. .. There might just be a day that I didn't take part in this race anymore... who knows...

Personally I feel that its an easy decision for me to sign up for SCMS FM; just because of the prestige and timing of the race.

Sure, its not the only FM races in Singapore; but for many its like the pinnacle of all the other FM. Just like F1 in motor racing, MotoGP for bike racing, Premier League for English football, the Grand Slams for Tennis and the Major championship for Golf.

And for the race to be held in the first month of December is always a good timing for all of us to work towards this race being the season closing for us.

Of cos I dun feel that I'm qualified enough to judge since it was my maiden SCMS (and FM) last yr; so perhaps the novelty of the situation had clouded my judgement. But overall my race experience for SCMS last yr was not terrible and I dun really have much to complain about. Certainly not the worst race experience I had last yr.

I suppose that it may be inevitable that if I continued to join SCMS year in year out, eventually I may also become jaded. I noticed this not only from the comments of the more seasoned participants here but also my friends who are runners. They all seems to exhibit the same cycle of excitement to jadedness to non-participation in a few years. I never understand why and hopefully I never will encounter that.

I guess or could be due to many many reasons all combined together to form a bigger issue. .. Such as pricing where it was only 45 bucks when I joined as a first timer to the price now...

And i Rem scms being the biggest race then had the best goodie bag with a nice bag... But nowadays the goodie bag is as pathetic as other small races... or even worse... so all these little things add up ba..

If only they listen to the feedback of regular runners/people.

But they are only interested in their elites and Gold Label.

So rest bear the cost and endure.

Cause they know for every 1 person that unhappy/leave many more waiting to replace the position.

Familiar tag line nowadays.

Personally I feel that its an easy decision for me to sign up for SCMS FM; just because of the prestige and timing of the race.

Sure, its not the only FM races in Singapore; but for many its like the pinnacle of all the other FM. Just like F1 in motor racing, MotoGP for bike racing, Premier League for English football, the Grand Slams for Tennis and the Major championship for Golf.

And for the race to be held in the first month of December is always a good timing for all of us to work towards this race being the season closing for us.

Of cos I dun feel that I'm qualified enough to judge since it was my maiden SCMS (and FM) last yr; so perhaps the novelty of the situation had clouded my judgement. But overall my race experience for SCMS last yr was not terrible and I dun really have much to complain about. Certainly not the worst race experience I had last yr.

I suppose that it may be inevitable that if I continued to join SCMS year in year out, eventually I may also become jaded. I noticed this not only from the comments of the more seasoned participants here but also my friends who are runners. They all seems to exhibit the same cycle of excitement to jadedness to non-participation in a few years. I never understand why and hopefully I never will encounter that.

I thought so too that I will not jaded when I signed up 2008 to 2010.. It was used to b my race of e year.. I keep n wear e finisher tee.. Until e event changed it start point to orchard... This is when I feel e event is going down fall... Last few years, I did not register but only attend e event becoz ppl here r letting go last min slot cheaply.. I even sold off e finisher tee to subsidies fee..

Race experience did not improve but deteriorate over e year..

Maybe I hav been doing this event for past 7 years n start feel sian.. Maybe I divert to do ironman event... There are reasons but bro lonewolf, u willl eventually reach this feel toward scm..

I guess or could be due to many many reasons all combined together to form a bigger issue. .. Such as pricing where it was only 45 bucks when I joined as a first timer to the price now...

And i Rem scms being the biggest race then had the best goodie bag with a nice bag... But nowadays the goodie bag is as pathetic as other small races... or even worse... so all these little things add up ba..

Yes.so agreed. E quality of e running n finisher tee too. Till now addida finisher 2008 is still e best in design n quality.

I thought so too that I will not jaded when I signed up 2008 to 2010.. It was used to b my race of e year.. I keep n wear e finisher tee.. Until e event changed it start point to orchard... This is when I feel e event is going down fall... Last few years, I did not register but only attend e event becoz ppl here r letting go last min slot cheaply.. I even sold off e finisher tee to subsidies fee..

Maybe I hav been doing this event for past 7 years n start feel sian.. Maybe I divert to do ironman event... There are reasons but bro lonewolf, u willl eventually reach this feel toward scm..

Fair comments, bro dell^2. Frankly I feel a little sad that our premier running event is held in so low regards by many of our fellow runners. But then again, as with many things in life, every event need to work hard to maintain its standards and rest on its laurels.

Perhaps jadedness just come with the passage of time and has nothing to do with SCMS per se. Perhaps after having conquered the FMs, some felt that its time for new challenge like ultras or in your case, tri and ironman. For others it may be just a tick of the bucketlist, something to be done one - perhaps twice before we moved on to other things in life.

Yes.so agreed. E quality of e running n finisher tee too. Till now addida finisher 2008 is still e best in design n quality.

Yes, same here. i still prefer to wear the 2008 adidas finisher than the rest......

Fair comments, bro dell^2. Frankly I feel a little sad that our premier running event is held in so low regards by many of our fellow runners. But then again, as with many things in life, every event need to work hard to maintain its standards and rest on its laurels.

Perhaps jadedness just come with the passage of time and has nothing to do with SCMS per se. Perhaps after having conquered the FMs, some felt that its time for new challenge like ultras or in your case, tri and ironman. For others it may be just a tick of the bucketlist, something to be done one - perhaps twice before we moved on to other things in life.

Let us know in a few more years' time Bro Lonewolf..... hahaaha,.....

Yeah sad to see that SCMS is struggling with filling up slots whereas slots in other regional FMs in HK and Japan are selling like hotcakes.

Perhaps it is time to do an entire overhaul of the run - have more stakeholders involved, get more support from public and private sectors alike... basically make it a bigger and more special event to regain the love from local and overseas runners.

haha.. dont need to feel sad la...N DON"T feel dampen by some of our comments.... What i like about this running forum is everyone's positive attitude. I should have phase it in a better positive mannner... :)

Let say that everyone race / run for a different reason regarding of wat event / race etc...

Bro lonewolf.. if SCM is your race of the year... Keep training and be prep to enjoy on race day... That is the most impt.. It doesn't matter if the race is popular or not..

Yeah sad to see that SCMS is struggling with filling up slots whereas slots in other regional FMs in HK and Japan are selling like hotcakes.

Perhaps it is time to do an entire overhaul of the run - have more stakeholders involved, get more support from public and private sectors alike... basically make it a bigger and more special event to regain the love from local and overseas runners.

Actually i realised weather also play a part too.. Visitors tend to prefer go for cooler place for run etc..

SCMS considered a major and big scale and have involved got public n private sector involvement.. Maybe the domestic market is saturated.. There are just so many first timers to run long distance but will they keep on doing it is a different matter...

Like lonewolf mentioned... some of them is just a have a tick in the bucketlist.. do it once and it enough..

The novelty is slowly wearing off for SCMS. They have been focusing too much in getting as many participants as possible, as compared to improving the overall quality of the race. For me, the SCMS used to be the race of the year which i eagerly anticipate every December since 2007. But now, it's just another race that i'm taking part just to support our local marquee marathon event. The excitement and anticipation is no longer there.

Yup, i agree that overhaul is needed to rebrand and reposition the event. SCMS needs to win back runners by being differentiated. Right now, the perception is that it's just a money grabbing event. By involving more grassroot support, it can be rebranded as a race organized by the people, for the people. And instead of just trying to increase participants every year, the focus should be on maintaining the standard and quality of the race. Just my 2 cents ;)

I enjoyed my SCMS maiden FM last year, probably its still a novelty event for me so I still signed up this year. On the other hand, I was looking at the thread about CU and its seems so tempting and motivating to move on to something even more challenging after awhile, even though i'm not ready for ultra marathons yet. Anyway, what I'm trying to say that its a trend for more and more people to push to longer distance running, therefore running a FM might not be as special as it was years ago, especially for people who had done it more than a few times.

Me still joining the FM until I can achieve my targeted timing.

The point about grassroot support is valid. At least for this yr, the race organiser appears to be trying to do that.

First, there was a couple of community road show for preferential registration fee. And there are also different training run in the different communities.

Second, there is this element of community challenge this yr. I think you will be given different colour wristband to represent your community.

In fact, I can see a prominent SCMS board at Sengkang SRC. I think it should be the same for the other designated community clubs like YCK, Jurong West, Pasir Ris and Bishan.

Obviously the fact that none of us is discussing about it tells me that the race organiser is not doing enough. But its a start so personally I'm optimistic that things will improve in the future.

For better race experience, organiser should

1) Reduce No of participants for each race category so route will not be crowded (anyone has kept records of no. Of participants of each dist Cateogry of the spore stand chart of the last few years??);

2) ensure ample hydration at each hydration station; msia & tw standchart provide wet sponge too! This definitely helps to cool down the body under sun

3) impose "decent" cut off time for each race category

1) Reduce No of participants for each race category so route will not be crowded (anyone has kept records of no. Of participants of each dist Cateogry of the spore stand chart of the last few years??);

2) ensure ample hydration at each hydration station; msia & tw standchart provide wet sponge too! This definitely helps to cool down the body under sun

I did not keep record of number of participants, but I remember a year when they lowered quota for 21k, after a few years of massive jams at sentosa.

oh dear... ur comments "clash" with organiser aim of cashing the event..

1. Reduce participant = lesser reg fee and smaller scale.. harder to attract high end sponsor.. They managed to secure that wat gold label meant good racing experience liao... (Wat they think)

2. To be fair duiring the early year of SCM, sponge is provided.. But i can't remember which year, they stop giving wet sponge...

3. "decent" mean more for leisure /first timer or less for faster/ well train runner ?? Again organizer don't wan to "sell" the race that only well train/season runner ONLY event.. they want attract anyone or everyone who willing to sign up. They want to go with the Active SIngapore direction to get Sg ppl (who are less active) involved in exercise.. Seasoned runners are not the target group for ActiveSg... sorry.

i hope they will have alot of toilets at the starting point for the 42km runner this year...

Yup, cos last year, there weren't enough toilets at Orchard Road start point. I was still queuing for the toilet when it was 5 minutes to flag off, and there were at least 8-9 persons lining up in front of me. So i skipped the toilet and went into the start pen. Right after flag off, i saw this line of guys relieving themselves into the big drain just after Kiliney Road. Without hesitation, i joined in the line as it was dark. At least 30-40 guys were all shooting into the drain at the same time :lolu: !!! Well, we wouldn't have to do this if there were enough toilets at the first place!! :shifty:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/ex-olympic-champion-gebrselassie-take-part-stanchart-marathon-si

A treat is in store for 10km runners at this December's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) as they may get a chance to rub shoulders with one of athletics' greatest champions.

Two-time Olympic and four-time world 10km champion Haile Gebrselassie confirmed he will be taking part in the 10km category of the SCMS.

The Ethiopian will also host a number of training clinics when he is in town, and share his experience with local runners. It will be his first trip to Singapore.

Said Gebrselassie, 41: "Everyone I've spoken with has told me the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore is one of the great events in Asia and I'm delighted to have chosen this race as my first running event in (South-east Asia)."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/ex-olympic-champion-gebrselassie-take-part-stanchart-marathon-si#sthash.PMgw9gNx.dpuf

i hope they will have alot of toilets at the starting point for the 42km runner this year...

Yup, cos last year, there weren't enough toilets at Orchard Road start point. I was still queuing for the toilet when it was 5 minutes to flag off, and there were at least 8-9 persons lining up in front of me. So i skipped the toilet and went into the start pen. Right after flag off, i saw this line of guys relieving themselves into the big drain just after Kiliney Road. Without hesitation, i joined in the line as it was dark. At least 30-40 guys were all shooting into the drain at the same time :lolu: !!! Well, we wouldn't have to do this if there were enough toilets at the first place!! :shifty:

Yes, i came 1 hr earlier and i was queuing for at least 25mins when i reached.... there was still a long queue behind me.... i really cant believe it while i was queuing....

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/ex-olympic-champion-gebrselassie-take-part-stanchart-marathon-si

A treat is in store for 10km runners at this December's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS) as they may get a chance to rub shoulders with one of athletics' greatest champions.

Two-time Olympic and four-time world 10km champion Haile Gebrselassie confirmed he will be taking part in the 10km category of the SCMS.

The Ethiopian will also host a number of training clinics when he is in town, and share his experience with local runners. It will be his first trip to Singapore.

Said Gebrselassie, 41: "Everyone I've spoken with has told me the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore is one of the great events in Asia and I'm delighted to have chosen this race as my first running event in (South-east Asia)."

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/ex-olympic-champion-gebrselassie-take-part-stanchart-marathon-si#sthash.PMgw9gNx.dpuf

I WANT. to meet him!

Gonna see what training clinics he s hosting and try my best to go!

Yup and I've just come back from interviewing him with the other reporters. :D :D

Blog post will come shortly.