Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

so meaning we should jus keep to this thought about sports hub to be used in future races and forget abt the inaugural race which is trying to cut a big hole in our pockets? hahah......

Agree with Beast on the IAAF label that it doesn't mean a race with good running experience. I used to do SCMS in 2007 and 2008 but stopped doing it due to the heavy crowd congestion and the ever increasing race fees. :thumbsdown:

I was looking for a few sample gold label IAAF race and found Xiamen International Marathon (http://www.xmim.org/en/about_xmim.asp).

It is amazing that they can keep the full marathon race fees low for even overseas runner (USD 30 about SGD37+) and Chinese locals paying 80RMB (about SGD 16+) for a full marathon :blink: Please tell me if you can find any sg running races with a full marathon priced lower than this (of course we will incur more expenses than just the race fees lah)

Back to the topic, I think Sports Hub will be a very overused location by then. Remember Marina Barrage? ^_^

Regardless of what we may think of SCMS and our personal motivation for joining or not joining, I think its pointless to compare races across countries, and conclude that its cheaper over there, so its not worth joining over here. Of cos there will always be a cheaper race elsewhere. But not everyone may be willing and/or able to race overseas.

The issue of registration fee will always be an emotive one. Not very different from cost of housing and transport. Whatever there's an increase, we grumble about it. Of cos unlike housing and transport, we can make a decision not to join races if we think its becoming too expensive. That a choice every runner choose and everyone should respect that. Just as I hope runners do not take those who are willing to pay the registration cost as suckers for succumbing to the whims of the race organiser.

Regardless of what we may think of SCMS and our personal motivation for joining or not joining, I think its pointless to compare races across countries, and conclude that its cheaper over there, so its not worth joining over here. Of cos there will always be a cheaper race elsewhere. But not everyone may be willing and/or able to race overseas.

The issue of registration fee will always be an emotive one. Not very different from cost of housing and transport. Whatever there's an increase, we grumble about it. Of cos unlike housing and transport, we can make a decision not to join races if we think its becoming too expensive. That a choice every runner choose and everyone should respect that. Just as I hope runners do not take those who are willing to pay the registration cost as suckers for succumbing to the whims of the race organiser.

I will also add on to say for race quality and overall atmosphere. Once we have enough of racing in Singapore, that is when you see more options being explored.

Yup, the increase of race fees for sg running races is on the rise. Took a look at another running forum database which captures the race fees for past Singapore Marathon. In 2007 and 2008, it was priced lower which I will use the direct mailer pricing as an example figure ( 2007: $44, 2008: $44.50 ... 2013: $70). To use an economics term, the demand for SCMS is price inelastic as people will still sign up for the race even if the price goes up annually) ;)

Maybe this year will hit $100 . Luxurious ending at the new sport stadium!

This is a very high possibility of happening :startle:

then will you still sign up ??? hahha... if yes then the organiser has succeeded....

Maybe this year will hit $100 . Luxurious ending at the new sport stadium!

This is a very high possibility of happening :startle:

then will you still sign up ??? hahha... if yes then the organiser has succeeded....

I'm also at 2 hearts on this. If really participation fee hits $100 and i sign up for it, then it shows we're carrot heads and the organiser will keep on chopping us. If don't sign up, then i'll be kicking my own heels on race day seeing all the people running SCMS except me. Dilemma...

Join Stand Chart BKK Marathon on Nov la. eighty bucks , can treat it as a holiday run.. I am considering between this and BKK.. If u know some thais there maybe u can ask them to register under their name and u use their bibs to run, even cheaper.

We r all carrot heads to the marketing hypes - tthe only iaaf certified local marathon, etc hahahha

Perhaps can aim to sign up in first day n get a lot of freebies like last year, that can auction off to coup back some of the costs? But tht will mean queuing up over nite, can ask ur maid or cleaner to queue for u hahaha

Or be a charity ambassador....

We r all carrot heads to the marketing hypes - tthe only iaaf certified local marathon, etc hahahha

Perhaps can aim to sign up in first day n get a lot of freebies like last year, that can auction off to coup back some of the costs? But tht will mean queuing up over nite, can ask ur maid or cleaner to queue for u hahaha

Or be a charity ambassador....

What freebies do they have? Is it worth it?

I'm also at 2 hearts on this. If really participation fee hits $100 and i sign up for it, then it shows we're carrot heads and the organiser will keep on chopping us. If don't sign up, then i'll be kicking my own heels on race day seeing all the people running SCMS except me. Dilemma...

No I respectfully disagree that those who are willing to pay the registration fee of $100 are carrot head - at least not for a bona fide running events like SCMS and not one of the gimmicky rave runs that involved colour, foams, lights, paint etc etc.

As with all things in life, everyone attached and derived a difference value to a good on offer. In this instance, its participation in the yearly SCMS.

The reason why a lot of people find the increasing price hard to swallow is that they keep comparing the prices they used to paid in the past. IMHO such comparison are not meaningful and useful in deciding my willingness to pay.

So my personal yardstick would be comparable events held this yr. And that's 2XU and SDM. If the registration fee and not too far off from those events then I dun have any issue joining, even if the fee is higher compared to last yr.

I still think that because I'm still relatively new to running marathons (if I joined this will only be my 2nd SCMS) so the novelty of SCMS participation has not worn off on me. For those who has run the last 8, 9 or 10 editions, and have seen the prices movingn up and up and up, its understandable. But sometimes it may be necessary to look beyond the jadedness and through the eyes of a newbie and rediscover for yourself the magic of running in SCMS. Maybe then, you may find the fee more acceptable.

Just my view. To each his own. Life is more than SCMS participation. So no need to be so fixated on whether you want to join or not.

No I respectfully disagree that those who are willing to pay the registration fee of $100 are carrot head - at least not for a bona fide running events like SCMS and not one of the gimmicky rave runs that involved colour, foams, lights, paint etc etc.

As with all things in life, everyone attached and derived a difference value to a good on offer. In this instance, its participation in the yearly SCMS.

The reason why a lot of people find the increasing price hard to swallow is that they keep comparing the prices they used to paid in the past. IMHO such comparison are not meaningful and useful in deciding my willingness to pay.

So my personal yardstick would be comparable events held this yr. And that's 2XU and SDM. If the registration fee and not too far off from those events then I dun have any issue joining, even if the fee is higher compared to last yr.

I still think that because I'm still relatively new to running marathons (if I joined this will only be my 2nd SCMS) so the novelty of SCMS participation has not worn off on me. For those who has run the last 8, 9 or 10 editions, and have seen the prices movingn up and up and up, its understandable. But sometimes it may be necessary to look beyond the jadedness and through the eyes of a newbie and rediscover for yourself the magic of running in SCMS. Maybe then, you may find the fee more acceptable.

Just my view. To each his own. Life is more than SCMS participation. So no need to be so fixated on whether you want to join or not.

Agree with you. Everyone has their own reason to join or not to join.

For me, SCMS is "special" cos it's the "home" marathon. Also, I quite like starting the race under the bright Christmas lights on Orchard Road.

Agree with you. Everyone has their own reason to join or not to join.

For me, SCMS is "special" cos it's the "home" marathon. Also, I quite like starting the race under the bright Christmas lights on Orchard Road.

Many seasoned SCMS runners like me will most likely be unimpressed by the registration fee hike year after year. Yup, we'll definitely complain about it. And then we'll procrastinate. But in the end, many of us will still sign up and go for the race! Because like what you guys said, it's still our "home" marathon. And definitely better than all the gimmicky runs these days.

actually can choose the HM or 10km run as well which is at a cheaper rate... u have still joined an IAAF race.... just that its not the FM only....for consideration....

OK. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet. No one fan of SCMS Facebook?

2014-12-08SCMS_zps092f7bc1.jpg

Haha nope didn't follow their fb page. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if I should take leave again to sign up at the road show. Queue for 3 hours under the sun just for a $5 reduction in registration fees, a running bag, and a chance to win an expensive watch (forgot what brand is it).

Agree with Beast on the IAAF label that it doesn't mean a race with good running experience. I used to do SCMS in 2007 and 2008 but stopped doing it due to the heavy crowd congestion and the ever increasing race fees. :thumbsdown:

I was looking for a few sample gold label IAAF race and found Xiamen International Marathon (http://www.xmim.org/en/about_xmim.asp).

It is amazing that they can keep the full marathon race fees low for even overseas runner (USD 30 about SGD37+) and Chinese locals paying 80RMB (about SGD 16+) for a full marathon :blink: Please tell me if you can find any sg running races with a full marathon priced lower than this (of course we will incur more expenses than just the race fees lah)

Back to the topic, I think Sports Hub will be a very overused location by then. Remember Marina Barrage? ^_^

Yup agree that it is pointless to compare the registration fees of races overseas due to differences in cost of living and expenses.

But I do wish that there is another set of standard other than IAAF certification to indicate how "good" a run is. The IAAF certification does not take into account things like race atmosphere, quality of logistics management etc.

If there is a website like the IMDB for movies where runners can rate the runs they go to, that would probably be very helpful for people to consider what kind of overseas run are worth going for.

OMG! My blogger friend's pic of our feet/shoes was captured under the caption "How do you know when you need new shoes?"! And that ladies and gents, is my foot in the huaraches

:startle::lol:

OMG! My blogger friend's pic of our feet/shoes was captured under the caption "How do you know when you need new shoes?"! And that ladies and gents, is my foot in the huaraches

n6tlyo.jpg

wow your foot is quite....boney.... :startle:

Join Stand Chart BKK Marathon on Nov la. eighty bucks , can treat it as a holiday run.. I am considering between this and BKK.. If u know some thais there maybe u can ask them to register under their name and u use their bibs to run, even cheaper.

Sounds like a great idea.... Yes... I have friends in bkk. Woohoo....meow when is bkk stand chart ??

n6tlyo.jpg

wow your foot is quite....boney.... :startle:

Woah...... Er... Mine no diff.... It's called low volume feets :)

I wonder if I should take leave again to sign up at the road show. Queue for 3 hours under the sun just for a $5 reduction in registration fees, a running bag, and a chance to win an expensive watch (forgot what brand is it).

Wah! Take leave some more! That's commitment! I missed it last yr and looks like I'm going to miss it this yr again. IIRC its Seiko.

But I do wish that there is another set of standard other than IAAF certification to indicate how "good" a run is. The IAAF certification does not take into account things like race atmosphere, quality of logistics management etc.

If there is a website like the IMDB for movies where runners can rate the runs they go to, that would probably be very helpful for people to consider what kind of overseas run are worth going for.

I dun think that the IAAF certification was meant to be an indication of how 'good' the run is. Bro AR is correct to some extent that its more important for the elites. And its also important for people where IAAF certified races results are important. eg for pre-qualification purpose etc. While I agree that the certification is not an indication of the quality of race management, I doubt they would have got the gold certification if they were really terrible. And for what's it worth, I did not find the race organisation last yr lacking in any way.

As for the website like the IMDB for races, an another runner site is attempting to do just that. But unfortunately it hasn't really taken off. Such rating site are only as good as the no of ratings that it received and the unfortunate truth the traffic over there is a fraction over here. So it will be a while before what we wish for become a reality.

Reg price is the key... Nevertheless I guess 10km, 21km slot will still sell like hot cake..... It is just race and it is end of the year which most runners consider year end run...

I did not willing to sign up last year too until i manage to find a 2nd hand bib to join in the run...

Still contemplating whether to join this year's SCMS as I'm thinking of joining SCM KL this coming october...

Do both ! ^^