Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

The queue cutting reminded me of this incident during one of the race pack collection. This man casually just jumped queue and cut in front of me. When I politely told him nicely the queue was behind, he shouted angrily at me with vulgarities and threatened me. I just told him whatever and ask him to queue. He walked away and glare angrily at me for a full 10 minutes.

There are all kinds of people in this world.

Or probably take short cuts, and end up being faster than the Kenyans...

that remind me of one SCMS (can't remember which year) run where a chef was faster than Dr Mok...

I think you're referring to Mr Tam Chua Puh here who was the 'accidental winner' for 42km Local Men category last year LOL

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/sports/story/mystery-winner-just-wanted-t-shirt-and-medal-20131205

tam-chua-puh-stanchart-marathon.jpg

Yeah the queue at SCMS registration was pretty much crazy. When I turned up at 9am in the morning, I was shocked to see the length man... Easily several hundred people strong already... Yes, I was there to see it first hand, not to queue of course, but to cover the event for my blog.

Gosh... Yes, some runners are really "Siao." Yes he certainly isn't Ah Siao for nothing. Wonder if it really is the Singapore record for longest queuing time hahaha.

Anyway here is the experience from the horse's mouth... the queuers themselves and how they spent their night at Ion Orchard!

There's also some info about what to expect from the race this year and the new community District involvement.

Here's the link for runners who are keen to find out.

http://www.prischew.com/running/launch-of-scms-marathon-2014-singapore/

Edit: And yeah, I can't stand those race rats either. No morals or values. Fancy queuing and paying $1 for slot and don't run race and deprive real runners of their slots. Be it $1, $65 priority+ and so on...

By the way, anyone knows what's inside the premium goodie bags for the first 100 in line besides the $1 registration? Just curious...

They each get limited edition Adidas running shoes too. But not too sure what else. Haha, ask ah siao! ?

By the way, anyone knows what's inside the premium goodie bags for the first 100 in line besides the $1 registration? Just curious...

They each get limited edition Adidas running shoes too. But not too sure what else. Haha, ask ah siao!

So all the first 100 registrants get a pair of Adidas running shoes each? Wow...that's nice!! Eventhough i'm not an adidas running shoe fan, but a free pair of shoes is always appreciated :lol:

When you reached Orchard Ion at 9am, would you be among the first 100? If yes, you should had joined the queue as well to get the $1 slot and premium goodie bag!! hahaha

Read on the std chart facebook that there are people who cut queue and cause some unpleasure. I think this is not unexpected...

maybe it those who "i queue but hash tag a lot of people will come later when it about my turn"

Worse thing is that there are only a limited lots for each category.. Really unfair like that for runners to cut queue..

Cutting into queue when people have been there for hours is a disgrace. Very unsporting.

Agree. If I am those in the queue I will be super pissed also. What's this nonsense about 1 queue for 100000000 of his friends and relatives?

I wonder why Spectrum Worldwide (the organizer) never expects this and prepares number tags way beforehand. Just ask someone to go down on 15th night and early 16th morning to give out those number tags to those who queue early.

If they give out number tags, there's also a chance some people will get the number, then go home & return the next morning?

I wonder why Spectrum Worldwide (the organizer) never expects this and prepares number tags way beforehand. Just ask someone to go down on 15th night and early 16th morning to give out those number tags to those who queue early.

If they give out number tags, there's also a chance some people will get the number, then go home & return the next morning?

Well, I guess so. There isn't one foolproof way so it still boils down the integrity of those in the queue not to "cheat".

May be all the 10km and 21km runners have progressed to 42km.... and lesser people have progressed from 2.4km and 5km.

I have downgraded from 2XU 21km to 10km for Sundown/SAFRA/SCM. 10km is the sweet spot for now. Anything longer is too boring and takes up too much training time. I might even reduce to 5-8km and be out of the running scene soon if this trend continue. 5-8km is just nice for keeping fit and not spending too much time on running.

Shall evaluate after this year.

May be all the 10km and 21km runners have progressed to 42km.... and lesser people have progressed from 2.4km and 5km.

I have downgraded from 2XU 21km to 10km for Sundown/SAFRA/SCM. 10km is the sweet spot for now. Anything longer is too boring and takes up too much training time. I might even reduce to 5-8km and be out of the running scene soon if this trend continue. 5-8km is just nice for keeping fit and not spending too much time on running.

Shall evaluate after this year.

Running is actually supposed to be leisurely and fun. If training for a much longer distance is taking too much personal time and commitment to a point that it becomes a chore, then it defeats the purpose. Good that you find out what's the best for yourself, and not jump onto the bandwagon just because everyone is doing it. To each, his own :thumbsu:

If the normal rate now is $95 and the register use SC card , do he still got the 15% discount?

Yup, the SCB card discount is still valid. After the 15% discount, the price will be $80.75. That's almost $15 savings!

i have also downgraded from my last 6 yrs with SCMS on FM to HM this year.... to each his own like what jerrylam mentioned, i felt that its time for me to try out the Sentosa route.... i have started in Orchard road a fair number of times.... so that prompts for a change.....

i have also downgraded from my last 6 yrs with SCMS on FM to HM this year.... to each his own like what jerrylam mentioned, i felt that its time for me to try out the Sentosa route.... i have started in Orchard road a fair number of times.... so that prompts for a change.....

The Sentosa route is quite nice except for:

1. A bottleneck near the Dolphin lagoon

2. Under ground car park inhaling carbon monoxide from cars and buses

3. The never-ending up-and-down highway from outside Sentosa all the way to the "heart-break" bridge.

I find that there should at least 1 more water point along that highway.