Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

It's so interesting that the issue of rats would inevitable cropped up at every SCMS, I'm a little surprised that the issue seems to be the overwhelming hot topic this year; which is ironic when a rat 'won' last yr and created a bigger ripple. I believe that the weather probably caused more to become rats though they may not have necessarily set out to be one.

Maybe I'm cynical or just a little numbed by rats. Personally I dun really care about them but its a bit unsettling to find these people being ranked as 'finished' and included in the ranking. And who know how many there are. With the detailed split timings that they keep, it should be trivial for the system to exclude those who skipped check points. Almost all races I attended do this, so I dun know why SCMS doesn't. I thought they did it in previous years, so again maybe the new timing system they used included which is really strange.

So what about those who encountered genuine technical issues? #1 they should have more faith in their timing system #2 the timing is likely to tell the story of those who encountered glitch and the rats.

So I agree that its likely that with the high profile technical failure last yr, organiser could not afford a repeat of the problem and may have choose the lesser of the two evils.

Another thing that strike me reading through the comments here that even in our small community here in sgrunners, we can't agree what SCMS should be. Should it be an event just for the elites and competent serious runners (impose stricter cut-off, prove of timing, restrict no of runners, remove 10K etc) or an event for every man who has a dream of completing a marathon?

Personally, I think it will be a very sad day for Singapore running if our local marque event impose strict race entry restriction like race timing. Entering a marathon is a logical end game for those of us who picked up running and started entering races. With such restrictions many would never be able to run their maiden FM at SCMS.

Those of us who ran our maiden FM at SCMS or SCSM (there are 191 of us here from 2006-13) would always remember that feeling when we crossed that finish line. Think about it, do we really want to deprive the dream of others who has the passion and drive to reach for it and to do what is difficult but not impossible? Should we be so intolerant of a little crowding now that we had moved on, progressed and become multiple FMs finisher that we should now be asking for restrictions so that we can have a better race experience? Or scorned at others for turning the race into a walking event.

Its an issue that will always come up and one that will not have an answer. But I suppose as in life, in any community when group of people congregate, such thinking and behaviour are almost inevitable. And frankly how we behave and treat each other is merely a reflection of ourselves and our characters.

I guess with that there does not really seems to be a need to talk about my race experience from the prospective of a 7h+ finisher; but it was an interesting one nevertheless.

Hmm... Actually I think that they might be asked to detour to cut short the route, as they did not meet the cut off timing at that point of time. So weird that so many people skipped the 10km - 35km portion...

It's so interesting that the issue of rats would inevitable cropped up at every SCMS, I'm a little surprised that the issue seems to be the overwhelming hot topic this year; which is ironic when a rat 'won' last yr and created a bigger ripple. I believe that the weather probably caused more to become rats though they may not have necessarily set out to be one.

Maybe I'm cynical or just a little numbed by rats. Personally I dun really care about them but its a bit unsettling to find these people being ranked as 'finished' and included in the ranking. And who know how many there are. With the detailed split timings that they keep, it should be trivial for the system to exclude those who skipped check points. Almost all races I attended do this, so I dun know why SCMS doesn't. I thought they did it in previous years, so again maybe the new timing system they used included which is really strange.

So what about those who encountered genuine technical issues? #1 they should have more faith in their timing system #2 the timing is likely to tell the story of those who encountered glitch and the rats.

So I agree that its likely that with the high profile technical failure last yr, organiser could not afford a repeat of the problem and may have choose the lesser of the two evils.

Another thing that strike me reading through the comments here that even in our small community here in sgrunners, we can't agree what SCMS should be. Should it be an event just for the elites and competent serious runners (impose stricter cut-off, prove of timing, restrict no of runners, remove 10K etc) or an event for every man who has a dream of completing a marathon?

Personally, I think it will be a very sad day for Singapore running if our local marque event impose strict race entry restriction like race timing. Entering a marathon is a logical end game for those of us who picked up running and started entering races. With such restrictions many would never be able to run their maiden FM at SCMS.

Those of us who ran our maiden FM at SCMS or SCSM (there are 191 of us here from 2006-13) would always remember that feeling when we crossed that finish line. Think about it, do we really want to deprive the dream of others who has the passion and drive to reach for it and to do what is difficult but not impossible? Should we be so intolerant of a little crowding now that we had moved on, progressed and become multiple FMs finisher that we should now be asking for restrictions so that we can have a better race experience? Or scorned at others for turning the race into a walking event.

Its an issue that will always come up and one that will not have an answer. But I suppose as in life, in any community when group of people congregate, such thinking and behaviour are almost inevitable. And frankly how we behave and treat each other is merely a reflection of ourselves and our characters.

I guess with that there does not really seems to be a need to talk about my race experience from the prospective of a 7h+ finisher; but it was an interesting one nevertheless.

i would still want to read about yr race experience for this year scms.

Shame on the cheaters but maybe they had their own reasons like not feeling well etc?

Weather was a killer as well and I almost died in it hahaha. Flagged off half an hour too late due to the baggage queue which taught me to come early the next time! Didn't do very well but I'm just thankful to finish in one piece in sub 5.

No bananas at all but thank god there's fruits at ECP for the runners! Kudos to the photographers and volunteers who were so remarkable!

I thought they should DQ runners if they failed to clock in timing for 2 out of the 3 mats at ECP (20km, 25km & 30km). Since some runners will mistakenly turn right to Marina Barrage after they reached ECP. anyway, this is not the firs time ppl turn right at the 15km mark already.

Also, hearsay that some runners were diverted from 15 km to the 31km as they did not meet the cut off timing.... is this true?

I wonder how people can mistakenly turn right when everyone's turning left.

Anyway, saw the starhub broadcast. Was surprised that after more than an hour after race started, some people just reached esplanade bridge. And they were not just walking (run walk strategy or injury), they were strolling! I suspect these people had no intention to complete the distance at all. They were just strolling cos they have to "lose" time in order to make the finishing time realistic.

I agree with bernard, a race experience - regardless of the time - is a race experience that is unique to the individual, so lonewolf, do share :)

I agree with lonewolf as well about the dangers of imposing a restriction.

I actually do not support the name and shame thing. I feel that since they did not harm anyone physically or mentally, then perhaps we should just ignore them and let them do what they want. After all, it's they themselves who have to live with the fact that they did not go through the full marathon experience.

If we really want to name and shame, there are so many more categories. People who hog excess gel,banana. People who walk and talk and obstruct the path etc... Perhaps we should just live and let live?

Share leh, bro. I did think of finishers like you during the race. I was thinking, if the weather is killing me, imagine what those who finish later will suffer and have to go through. It's like having to do two marathons in one. More Siong than the elites.

Those who are looking for your pics can try adding this page 'Sentient Moments" in FB, they have almost 30 albums, found my first pic there (other than marathon photos). :)

usually i look through all these pages for running photos..

running shots

running kaki

eye-see-eye-shoot

runsociety

run mo cap

runevent shots

sg running (personal page)

chasing shots

tan kim lai (personal page)

runcapture

sports snapshots

run gallery SG

lifestyle1881

run & capture

pixelated

runningpics

Leong Kwan Weng (personal page)

seanworld of marathon (malaysian page)

eu gene (personal page)

sentient moments

please do give credits to their hard work.. (:

Thank for the info... But so many photo group that i abit sian to go and scan for my photo liaoo.... last time i still bery enthu to look for my race pix but nowaday can't b bother...

One of the ways to stop cheaters...

No more issuing finisher tee.

You need to pay for it with no DNF or DQtiming only after 3 days at the retail shop at discount price.

Keep FM registeration fee low, like $50.

Just like Fubon marathon...only event singlet. HM signed up gone before FM.

Cut off time 5。5hrs for Fm. No medals, no timing recorded after that...

Shame on the cheaters but maybe they had their own reasons like not feeling well etc?

Weather was a killer as well and I almost died in it hahaha. Flagged off half an hour too late due to the baggage queue which taught me to come early the next time! Didn't do very well but I'm just thankful to finish in one piece in sub 5.

No bananas at all but thank god there's fruits at ECP for the runners! Kudos to the photographers and volunteers who were so remarkable!

I wonder if the price of bananas has gone up a lot. I didn't see any at the ECP nor at the Padang. I bought a bunch yesterday and the price don't seem particularly higher even though I can't remember how much it was the last time I bought them. In order to be at the starting line at 5.00am most of us would have to leave our homes between 3.00am and 3.30am. That means a (light) breakfast around 2.30am. Those who complete the marathon in 4 or 5 hours would probably feel hunger pangs towards the end of their run. Quite OK except that there's no food at the the Padang! Imagine how those completing the marathon in 7 or 8 hours felt - not a good experience.

In the runners' guide the organiser claimed that 'don't worry' we won't run out of water'. When I reached the 33km water point they were rationing only one cup to each runner because they were stocking out. I don't know if they eventually ran out of water there.

The only thing that bothers me about these 'rats' is that it affects a Finisher's actual position.

I was hoping for a clean race so at least I know where I stand in the field but for the organiser to consider these people as 'finishers' and does not exclude them from the ranking does not make the ranking anymore credible.

to organizers, only the top positions which affects monetary reward affects them. And they cldnt be bothered even after the incident which happened few years back? One guy, totally unknown ran faster thn Mok Yin Ren. This man made the whole organizing management team jump and searching for clues to who this guy is...

Its about high time they do something to these people. They shld consider issuing medals and t-shirts only after official results r out. Those who missed checkpoints and finish above cut off timing are considered DNF. In this way, cheaters will be totally removed.

But the problem about timing at checkpoints is that sometimes their timing system can also cock-up. Like last year I remembered something about many runners' time not captured because of a flaw in the timing chip. Then there is also a problem whereby runners not stepping on the timing mat.

So if I (as the organiser) would follow strictly to not giving medals and finisher tee to those who have missed checkpoint timing, any 'innocent' runner who in no fault on his/her was unable to get the timing, then all hell would broke lose from complaints and all that.

On the other hand, if I was to just heck care and give out medals indiscriminately, the only people who would complain are those who feel that justice and fairness must ultimately prevail, which I can feel is smaller in number. And since everyone who finished (honestly or not) is given the medal and tee, the number who feels the injustice will be even smaller.

So I will choose the lesser of 2 evils.

I was one of the victim of this timing chip tied in shoe laces flaw back in 2009 SCM. Completed the whole course and realised that my timing wasn't captured.. Arghhh!!

You need to pay for it with no DNF or DQtiming only after 3 days at the retail shop at discount price.

Wah the proposed cut off time is tough leh. How many first timers can do this timing.

Wah the proposed cut off time is tough leh. How many first timers can do this timing.

I got to agree with wondefulblevic here. Although I am in favour of a cut off timing, but 5 hours for SCMS participants would be too tough for mass participation.

Don't forget like what lonewolf mentioned in post 1251, we all need to start from somewhere and setting the barrier entry too high is going to be discouraging for them.

Ur suggestion is good for non-profitable race... but if profit and sponsor merchandise is involved like in local race.. it won't work.. I can't comment on other countries which may have different culture or thinking..

It's something quite basic don't understand how it can run out hahaha. They twit that there's a glitch or something. luckily i ate one before coming for the run otherwise will be so hungry!

I wonder if the price of bananas has gone up a lot. I didn't see any at the ECP nor at the Padang. I bought a bunch yesterday and the price don't seem particularly higher even though I can't remember how much it was the last time I bought them. In order to be at the starting line at 5.00am most of us would have to leave our homes between 3.00am and 3.30am. That means a (light) breakfast around 2.30am. Those who complete the marathon in 4 or 5 hours would probably feel hunger pangs towards the end of their run. Quite OK except that there's no food at the the Padang! Imagine how those completing the marathon in 7 or 8 hours felt - not a good experience.

In the runners' guide the organiser claimed that 'don't worry' we won't run out of water'. When I reached the 33km water point they were rationing only one cup to each runner because they were stocking out. I don't know if they eventually ran out of water there.

I got to agree with wondefulblevic here. Although I am in favour of a cut off timing, but 5 hours for SCMS participants would be too tough for mass participation.

Don't forget like what lonewolf mentioned in post 1251, we all need to start from somewhere and setting the barrier entry too high is going to be discouraging for them.

And i'm one of those who finished at 7hr+ too.. i got injured weeks before the race and the idea of skipping the race crossed my mind many times. Eventually i decided to take it as a personal challenge, totally disregard the time issue and just utilize the 8 hours cut off time. I was happy to cross the finish line even though it was physically and mentally challenging, the feeling was amazing, even better than my maiden marathon.

For those who feel that we should have a stricter cut off time, I respect your opinions and i guess you have no issue meeting those timings. But people like me will have no chance of making it to a marathon anymore as it will be a race for the elite and good runners.

And i'm one of those who finished at 7hr+ too.. i got injured weeks before the race and the idea of skipping the race crossed my mind many times. Eventually i decided to take it as a personal challenge, totally disregard the time issue and just utilize the 8 hours cut off time. I was happy to cross the finish line even though it was physically and mentally challenging, the feeling was amazing, even better than my maiden marathon.

For those who feel that we should have a stricter cut off time, I respect your opinions and i guess you have no issue meeting those timings. But people like me will have no chance of making it to a marathon anymore as it will be a race for the elite and good runners.

I think those who take shortcuts won't be affected or turned off by a stricter cut off timing too. After all, last year that man can already beat the champion. Haha.

And I also want to say that people participate in a marathon for a variety of reasons. It may not be purely for a running achievement. For example, some may have been struck or just overcomed a severe illness, others may participate in memory of loved ones, while some may so so for charitable causes. Some of them may never run a marathon again. Regardless of their motivations, I feel that as long as it's an honest effort, they are all worthy of our respect. A marathon should be inclusive, just as we hope our community and our country would be inclusive and united.

Hmm... Actually I think that they might be asked to detour to cut short the route, as they did not meet the cut off timing at that point of time. So weird that so many people skipped the 10km - 35km portion...

I thought so too and they had no choice but to follow marshaller's instruction.. I meant we will never get any answer from these ppl unless we know what really happened and if theres more to it.

I think those who take shortcuts won't be affected or turned off by a stricter cut off timing too. After all, last year that man can already beat the champion. Haha.

Agree! They will be even happier, cos if everyone is faster, they no need to spend so much time relax one side or dilly dally, can just turn back earlier then collect the tshirt/medal go home sleep...