Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Warrior

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014

http://www.marathonsingapore.com/

Slated to take place on 7 December 2014, registration will start on 16 July 2014. :yahoo:

Not much info at the moment but last heard that there's a high chance of the end point being at the new Sports Hub, the second event to do so after Sep's Straits Times Run. :turned:

Wonder if there are more new initiatives (or surprises) from this year's edition? :unknw:

this part really unsure.... i rem that this race... would always produce the race details quite late into the year..... soooo.... early bird most prob would end before the details are out.....

My gut feel is the route may mirror part of the recent SunDown Full Marathon route, specifically the Sheares Bridge part. :turned:

The only difference is Sheares Bridge will be in the early (than latter) stages of the route, which will lead to the new Sports Hub naturally. :rock:

that may be possible.... but this is still our thoughts... cause being an IAAF race... they course had been measured and certified by IAAF.... if the route is changed, that would mean that SCMs have to get the IAAF down again.. would they do that?? i dun think so... maintaining the IAAF race course is still their ultimate aim.....

Well, if I remember correctly when the Garden By the Bay was opened, they changed the route in 2012. So I think they will. Dun forget that SCMS is owned by Sports Singapore (fka Singapore Sports Council). And the Sports Hub is the crowning glory of Singapore sports so I will be shocked if the SCMS route for 2014 does not include the new Sports Hub in some form. I dun think getting the IAAF down to recertify the route is too much of a cost; compared to the profile generated from highlighting the new Sports Hub. Dun forget that a gold label IAAF race need to be broadcast to a min number of 5 countries overseas. So it will make sense. Let's wait for more details.

that may be possible.... but this is still our thoughts... cause being an IAAF race... they course had been measured and certified by IAAF.... if the route is changed, that would mean that SCMs have to get the IAAF down again.. would they do that?? i dun think so... maintaining the IAAF race course is still their ultimate aim.....

I distinctly remember the organizers hinted last year that this year may end at sports hub. I hope so too.

Wow.. So early got scms thread... To beat the sundown 100+ pages? Hahahhahah

If they are going to change route this year to end the event at the new National Stadium, hopefully they can take away the part running on heartbreak bridge ... :startle:

it will be nice if they can end at sports hub... then i dun need to pay for another race which cost me a bomb to end there...... oppssss.....

If they are going to change route this year to end the event at the new National Stadium, hopefully they can take away the part running on heartbreak bridge ... :startle:

I suggest they dun remove the bridge else there will cfm b outburst of 'garang' runner complaining too easy. owells whether remove anot, ppl will still complain lol

I suggest they dun remove the bridge else there will cfm b outburst of 'garang' runner complaining too easy. owells whether remove anot, ppl will still complain lol

but one less thing to complain ma... from the list of 20 complaints....hahahah

it will be nice if they can end at sports hub... then i dun need to pay for another race which cost me a bomb to end there...... oppssss.....

I predict in the near future, many race will start at sport hub and end there. After all it a venue for sport and we don't have to lower our voice as to wake up the surrounding people in the hotel.

I predict in the near future, many race will start at sport hub and end there. After all it a venue for sport and we don't have to lower our voice as to wake up the surrounding people in the hotel.

That's sure to happen. Unless Sports Singapore too greedy charge exorbitant fee for premise rental. Or it should be just like Marina Barrage where races are held there regularly.

The big issue I can forsee is parking. As it is when races are held around the Nicholl Highway, National Stadium, Tanjong Rhu area, many of the roads leading to the car parks will be closed. So even though there are plenty of parking lots available around the sports hub, if the roads are closed, then parking will be an issue.

for charges...who knows...... they may need to revamp the entire grass patches after a race... wahahhah......

parking wil lalways be an issue in all races... but i am sure there's always a way out....

Well, if I remember correctly when the Garden By the Bay was opened, they changed the route in 2012. So I think they will. Dun forget that SCMS is owned by Sports Singapore (fka Singapore Sports Council). And the Sports Hub is the crowning glory of Singapore sports so I will be shocked if the SCMS route for 2014 does not include the new Sports Hub in some form. I dun think getting the IAAF down to recertify the route is too much of a cost; compared to the profile generated from highlighting the new Sports Hub. Dun forget that a gold label IAAF race need to be broadcast to a min number of 5 countries overseas. So it will make sense. Let's wait for more details.

Sadly a IAAF labelled race does not necessary equate to a run that provides a great running experience. More for marketing to sponsors and rationale to increase registration fees.

Sadly a IAAF labelled race does not necessary equate to a run that provides a great running experience. More for marketing to sponsors and rationale to increase registration fees.

I truly agree.....it will be a great race for the elites.... they will be treated very differently and with lots of video/ camera time when they try to chase behind the vehicle with a timing in front of them.... while for the rest of us, it will just be another run, with high fees due to the accreditation but..... may not be able to justify for it....

but i do know of some of the races where praises were only heard off.......

I truly agree.....it will be a great race for the elites.... they will be treated very differently and with lots of video/ camera time when they try to chase behind the vehicle with a timing in front of them.... while for the rest of us, it will just be another run, with high fees due to the accreditation but..... may not be able to justify for it....

but i do know of some of the races where praises were only heard off.......

The only good thing is the distance measured will be accurate or else world record will not be count. We can use GPS watch to measure but at the end it is their distance that we shall trust.

let's see what they have installed for u this year.... waiting patiently for more information..... but i think registration will start without much infor to runners... as usual....

Usually there will be a launch event at Raffles Place. They may announce some key highlights of the race during the launch. Should be by July I guess.

Agree with Beast on the IAAF label that it doesn't mean a race with good running experience. I used to do SCMS in 2007 and 2008 but stopped doing it due to the heavy crowd congestion and the ever increasing race fees. :thumbsdown:

I was looking for a few sample gold label IAAF race and found Xiamen International Marathon (http://www.xmim.org/en/about_xmim.asp).

It is amazing that they can keep the full marathon race fees low for even overseas runner (USD 30 about SGD37+) and Chinese locals paying 80RMB (about SGD 16+) for a full marathon :blink: Please tell me if you can find any sg running races with a full marathon priced lower than this (of course we will incur more expenses than just the race fees lah)

Back to the topic, I think Sports Hub will be a very overused location by then. Remember Marina Barrage? ^_^