Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

metallilan

Garmin Fenix 2

Any1 here who runs in CBD/ tall building areas?

I am using mine in CBD and haev been getting very bad speed readings on the 2.90 firmware on 1-second recording...

distorted by the building i.e. gps location screwed? :S

Seems that the gps signal can be quite inaccurate around buildings. I only run around my estate with hdb blocks and my distance readings are already out. The gps start up is also quite slow with buildings around as compared to on an open field.

This will surely contribute to inaccurate readings like pace. Think will be most zhun at East Coast :good:

That is so sad... Reading the forums, seem that FR series has much better tolerance to the tall building effects i.e. higher accuracy.

See example of mytest runs. SO UGLYYY.. Its as if I am flying over buildings and water bodies.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504894913

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504894885

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/504894860

Anyway, the forum suggests to do a hard reset and relocking of sat data for accuracy so I am gonna try that over the weekend. Need to be under the open sky for 20 mins :S

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?79470-Anyone-else-having-problems-with-the-GPS-accuracy-and-stability-of-signal-of-Fenix-2

Perhaps I will wait for its stocks to arrive. Hopefully firmware updates can resolve these issues.

OK. i noticed that when I was running and swinging my arms around or stretching them at one point, the speed/ pacing went total nutters.

It seems that somehow the GPS is relying on the accelerometer or gets distorted easily due to movement.

Other than that, if I run normally with synched arm swings to feet cadence, the numbers are a lot better and the plots on the map shows that.

I will most likely try out my footpod (with and without calibration) to run a straight and then test another run with arm movement after calibration to see if using a footpod will alleviate this problem. :(

Did a short run yest...

Something I have been plagued with is the watch is still "searching" or stabilising at the start and ends up with weird jumps so my final run distance is distorted. Thinking where can I report this or hope to get a more stable "lock" before run option. Otherwise, I can definitely say the GPS tracking has improved a lot after my watch reset.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/517540543

I ran with version 3.10 today and the GPS disconnected 3 times during my run at Macritchie. Has anyone had frequent disconnects during your runs?

But after uploading, I realized version 3.2 is out. Did a hard reset and hope to run with it soon.

Thanks on the 3.2 heads up!

I did not get any disconnects. Even when satellite connection is lost, it will pick back up and the final plot is interpolated in between.

Maybe MR forest too dense??? wow.. that would be a shame.. my lowly FR10 can also do MR but if F2 fail in MR, I am sorely disappointed.

Reading forum complaining that they changed the GPS chipset from sirfstar to mediatek i.e. the older gen watches have "better" gps.

Not sure if this is the reason for the bad performance...

The battery life & the looks attracts me the most. I do not wish to have a 910 attaching to portable charger for runs longer than 20 hours. Anytime I receive news it is restock, I will still go for F2

Thanks on the 3.2 heads up!

I did not get any disconnects. Even when satellite connection is lost, it will pick back up and the final plot is interpolated in between.

Maybe MR forest too dense??? wow.. that would be a shame.. my lowly FR10 can also do MR but if F2 fail in MR, I am sorely disappointed.

Reading forum complaining that they changed the GPS chipset from sirfstar to mediatek i.e. the older gen watches have "better" gps.

Not sure if this is the reason for the bad performance...

I have b33n havin problems with my fr220. I did a hard reset 2 weeks back and I used it during the MR25 cross country race... oh man... the inaccuracy was beyond my shock. ... not only am I super fast but I am Crawling like a snail. I have yet to update software.... but garmin is kinda annoying me since I never had such issues with polar.

On another note, I tried a run with Fenix2 on treadmill on indoor mode... and the result is actually quite encouraging!!!

It is quite properly tracking my mileage on my "normal" running speed. I think within 5 sec per km for a 5 km run.

However, it is within +10 sec per km if I upped my speed for a tempo run for the same 5 km.

So I guess, the difference in my footing on different speed is a bit difficult to gauge but the accuracy is still very encouraging!

I have not tried running in MR w my F2 yet... But the trees/ canopy will definitely crap out the GPS tracking. The tall buildings in CBD already made some of my tracks +20meters :S

You can read the forum, some people running trails also have the same issue w accuracy on the new gen watches. Praying for a miracle Garmin... :phew:

3.7 out!!!

I have only experienced the crash once so hopefully that will be my one and only.

Weirdly someone in forum says that he experienced all 3 issues that are supposed to be fixed.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6929

Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
  • Fixed potential issue where device could become unresponsive during an activity
  • Fixed potential issues with ANT sensor communication consistency
  • Fixed potential issues with Garmin Connect Mobile syncing

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/garmin-fenix2-virbvirb.html

Wtf....... not launched long now its on sale........... 100 off.... wow.. i really should have waited huh?

Anyway the watch still leaves quite a bit to be desired but the latest version + some preparation/ caution when using makes the watch much more usable/ accurate to me

Yes online stores prices are dropped too. I had yet to check with Queenstown. Parisilk surprisingly is selling Fenix2 more expensive than other places this time round. Any one tested if it is set to per second recording, how long can it last ?

Me too. came out today! :thumbsup:

I dont usually reset... just download and detach fr the connector to update.
To perform a master reset:
Ensure watch is powered off
Press and hold Down button
Power on GPS while continuing to hold Down button
NOTE: Immediately release Power button once GPS powers on
Release Down button once "Clear all user settings?" message appears
Select Yes

Forum link: -(2014-08-25)'>https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?122704-Fenix-2-FW-Update-3-80-(2014-08-25)

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?122704-Fenix-2-FW-Update-3-

Wtf....... not launched long now its on sale........... 100 off.... wow.. i really should have waited huh?

Anyway the watch still leaves quite a bit to be desired but the latest version + some preparation/ caution when using makes the watch much more usable/ accurate to me

Yes online stores prices are dropped too. I had yet to check with Queenstown. Parisilk surprisingly is selling Fenix2 more expensive than other places this time round. Any one tested if it is set to per second recording, how long can it last ?

F2 going for $399 at COMEX.

I prefer to get from local agent. Otherwise, it would be extremely troublesome getting warranty. Just replaced my FR10 purchased through amazon with the F2. Too troublesome to ship overseas for servicing.

F2 going for $399 at COMEX.

I prefer to get from local agent. Otherwise, it would be extremely troublesome getting warranty. Just replaced my FR10 purchased through amazon with the F2. Too troublesome to ship overseas for servicing.

does it come with hrm?

I noticed some chips and scratches on the back plate. Normal wear and tear I guess since it's my everyday watch now. I do have a screen protector on the watch tho. :D

my back plate is going though some fading now too.. used to be all blank but the center spot is now silverish and is starting to spread. Garmin forum talked about this potentially being some protective coating and that we should actually report/return to Garmin. Personally, I think it's just wear and tear since my watch is still working fine.

Anyone tried using a power bank to recharge the battery life of the F2? Wondering how much amps is needed to fully charge a close to depleted F2... any advice?

my back plate is going though some fading now too.. used to be all blank but the center spot is now silverish and is starting to spread. Garmin forum talked about this potentially being some protective coating and that we should actually report/return to Garmin. Personally, I think it's just wear and tear since my watch is still working fine.

Anyone tried using a power bank to recharge the battery life of the F2? Wondering how much amps is needed to fully charge a close to depleted F2... any advice?

I've used my power bank when I was racing the Sabah Adventure Challenge (was camping out, so no power point). Not sure about the amps tho. I had a friend using the Forerunner 220 who could charge on my power bank, but not on his, it kept disconnecting after a while.