Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nobok

how to strike up a conversation with random strangers at race events?

just curious, any of u guys ever tried talking to some random strangers during race events? pre-race n post-race. especially people from the planet of venus.

lets say u see one venutian which caught ur eye, so how to find an opportunity to strike up a conversation? n how to start?

succeeded in getting any contact numbers or made new friends? or just hi hi n bye bye?

hope to learn from u experts coz I m errr err shy lah.

any of u succeeded in acquiring a long term investment ?

At most is some small talk. Kind of hard to talk for long cos usually have friends around. Since can only chat for a short while, I find it awkward to ask for contacts.

At most is some small talk. Kind of hard to talk for long cos usually have friends around. Since can only chat for a short while, I find it awkward to ask for contacts.

i would have tot this day and age easier ...

just ask if got Facebook ... can add friend :D

"Succeeded in acquiring a long term investment."

That be interesting!

its not easy though.... esp if you wanna have a long term frenship out of this... its not impossible though.... i think a simple conversation is still possible...

well, actually it is not that hard. usually after the race it would be easier.

but firstly, it is easier to find people of your race category or below your category. To speak to a marathon girl while you are struggling with 5k run makes you looks noob only.

Try to make eye contact, smile, say hi. Ask about the race, how does she feel. talk about the good and bad of the race. then move on, ask if she constantly run. whats her next race, talk about yours as well. whats her training like and such.

at the end, just ask her for FB account so that you could contact her for future race.

well, actually it is not that hard. usually after the race it would be easier.

but firstly, it is easier to find people of your race category or below your category. To speak to a marathon girl while you are struggling with 5k run makes you looks noob only.

Try to make eye contact, smile, say hi. Ask about the race, how does she feel. talk about the good and bad of the race. then move on, ask if she constantly run. whats her next race, talk about yours as well. whats her training like and such.

at the end, just ask her for FB account so that you could contact her for future race.

yes ... ask for FB contact for future races ... bingo !

helps if your timings are quite close ...

or better yet ! your timing worst than hers ...

and perhaps she could help you improve :lol: :lol:

basically take it easy ...

dun act like desperado and ask for mobile, where she lives, got bf, etc

the sole objective is to secure FB ... then take it from there

and pls dun target every single opposite gender that meets your eye moments later

like that like buaya like that ! :lol:

all the girls will freak out ... there and then ... and future events too lol

Always mini Hi or wave or smile ...always cold stare back, got once also hear siao said....

But... but....I will continue

u smile to guys la... probably got more smiles and waves back to you....hahahha

Can send out wrong signal one leh. :startle:

ya agreed ... later kenna winked back then u know ah Autumn ... dun anyhow smile at guys :lol:

Always mini Hi or wave or smile ...always cold stare back, got once also hear siao said....

where ? i presumed PCNs or along the streets ?

if so, you're more likely to get a friendly reply from Banglas, construction workers, grass cutters, sweepers, older runners, then you would from fellow young runners ...

but sometimes ladies runners might reply or smile back at me :D:lol:

Some ladies will find it creepy, but slowly does it lah, need to wait for chance :D...

There are a few times when there are random male runners who greeted me when I seem to be running alone. I am fine with that and will normally smile back,but my male running partner find it very weird. (Different perceptions?)

i am ok leh..... as long as i got greeted... i will greet back.... and as long as the person made eye contact with me and didnt wear ear piece... i will greet too.. no matter him/her.....

Recently i m starters...even ang mo now i think left their greetings bck in their home town hahahaha

Sometimes, people tend to be very focused till they cannot hear us. Or they thought you are calling someone else/ just don't care. :D

(Guilty at times, because of a few times when I thought the other person was calling me (which is not the case) then don't dare to smile or wave back unless I am very sure that he or she is greeting me)

wahaha.... true... nowadays ang mos also learnt from asians liaoz... more reserved.... or maybe jus dun wan to greet....

so next time must be very clear to the other runner than i am greeting lo... orelse..... might create confusion and next second.. ran past laioz....

Haha, maybe the ang mohs had greeted before but not much response then in the end they see no point in greeting anymore.

Face to face greet or bump into the same runner for a few times then it's easier to greet? (not sure how is that going to work for some people though, works well for me at times though)

that is true la.... but i get exceptionally excited when i see runners running in the wee hours (5.30am) in the darkness with me..... especially after a long jog with no one around....hahah.... so will definitely make an effort to greet...

I used to greet fellow runners although now not much chance to do so as I can only run during 10am to 12 pm.

Ya very hot, so practically no chance to bump into other runners. Remember once thou when running along pcn and when I greet the other runner, his face was very SHOCKED ,,,, and then finally pulled out a faint smile back...

Actually, I'm usually half asleep, and don't really take notice of others around me. There was once an ang moh lady was making big waves in front of me (she wasn't just waving with her palms, but was waving with her entire hand), and I noticed that :)

i ran along punggol pcn starting off at around 530.... managed to greet about 7-8 runners before the sunrise.... and most greeted back... perhaps its the timing and everyone will have a sense of curiosity when running towards another runner at this time... so with this curiosity, a greet will be easily accepted....

I still remember getting morning greetings pretty often but not lately.

The usual greeting I would do when seeing an opposite runner, is eye contact and a nod. This is good enuff to acknowledge that you registered his/her presence.

Striking a small talk is more challenging. Last time I did that was when we were waiting for the rain to stop.

Just keep the conversation light, need not even introduce yourself. Talk about the rain, why it should be better to wait out, and one topic leads to another.