Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skywalker120500

Race Bib Magnet Pins

That is a good advice. I tested the Tackonz on a few bibs (Passion Run 2008, army half marathon bibs) and they stick on well so far.

If we have taken part in at least a few races, there are lots of safety pins to spare haha. Those which have rusted due to keeping them too long I have to throw them away.

I dun know if its my imagination but I swear the holes in the race bib nowadays are getting smaller. When I first got my TackOnz, I only need to enlarge the hole less than half the times. Now its seem like almost every race bib hole is too small for Tackonz.

That is simple. We can check our coming local races bibs and we can confirm if the bib holes sizes are too small for TackOnz.

That is simple. We can check our coming local races bibs and we can confirm if the bib holes sizes are too small for TackOnz.

For this yr, I needed to punch holes in my race bib for Marian Run, NorthEast PAssion Run, Run350, Real Run and Sundown Marathon.

Only yesterday's Pocari Sweat Run race bib dun require me to punch holes.

My bib the hole always end up torn in some side after a long race. I always end up w a bib w 1 or 2 side hanging after the race lol. Happen to me in scms n sd hahaha. M i too violent? Hahaa

i looked at the races which bro Lonewolf mentioned and the holes have similar sizes.... so seems that more punching coming up.....since so many are of the same size...

bro Joyanz.... i tihnk u kept pulling the bib during the race is it... cause most of the bib's materials are quite ok so without a large pulling force, the safety pins wun go thru..... strong and violent leh u....

i duno :0 i tot i m not the only one...... opps :X but the hole really torn... both sides somemore! i always w a 3 legged or 2 legged bib when i cross the finishing line.... always! haahhaa

think i might invest in this too hahaha. will the magnet drop off easily?

u better try it with the magnet first leh.... cause i thought safety pins are more secured than the magnet...... given your violent char.... dunno the magnet pins can hold a not leh...hahah

TackOnz is not a magnet. I dun know how to describe it but its some sort of a plastic clip that holds the race bib to tee.

It is very secure. I have run in >20 races with it and the only time I lost one corner was in the starting pen, when an idiot brushed past me and hooked my bib in the process. I dun know how it did it and I'm amazed the race bib din torn so I suspect that it may be because I did not attach it properly.

Its kinda of expensive for 12 pieces of plastic (6 tacks, 6 base piece) but it has served me well and I think its money well spent.

TackOnz is not a magnet. I dun know how to describe it but its some sort of a plastic clip that holds the race bib to tee.

It is very secure. I have run in >20 races with it and the only time I lost one corner was in the starting pen, when an idiot brushed past me and hooked my bib in the process. I dun know how it did it and I'm amazed the race bib din torn so I suspect that it may be because I did not attach it properly.

Its kinda of expensive for 12 pieces of plastic (6 tacks, 6 base piece) but it has served me well and I think its money well spent.

Lonewolf is right. I also got my TackOnz from my online order last Friday. Simply put, the TackOnz works by forming a depression and locks on to your running shirt/singlet fabric. It is quite secure and I have tested it on my solo training long run (worn behind my running singlet and hydration bladder worn to hide the the test bib used). My only challenge is to get the bib straight but that is a small issue as compared to having my singlet getting damaged by the safety pins.

Click here for a photo link of how it looks like when they are "tacked on" (pun intended).

do u have the issue of the need to cut the hole bigger???

For this particular race bib i tested, I didn't need to make the hole bigger.

It is always good to standby a hole puncher though.

Icic thanks for all the clarification. AR, i also duno y i so violent w the bib lol! Mayb coz i din pin it v tightly to my vest, the bib corners tend to 'lean forward' plus my hand accidentally rubbing it thats y.... hahahaa. Seems that this tackon will tightly secure the corners. Might consider.

Do u guys pin on ur bib b4 leaving home or pin on the spot b4 race start?

I'm not so thick-skinned to announce to everyone that I'm running in a race. ^_^ Nor do I wear the race singlet in tranist (either shuttle bus or while I'm driving). So I would normally pin the bib either in the car before making my way to the race site; or at the race site before depositing my bag (when I'm not driving)

I'm not so thick-skinned to announce to everyone that I'm running in a race. ^_^ Nor do I wear the race singlet in tranist (either shuttle bus or while I'm driving). So I would normally pin the bib either in the car before making my way to the race site; or at the race site before depositing my bag (when I'm not driving)

me too.... will not wear the bib all the way.... this brings me to another question.... how to put on the tackonz when u are wearing the singlet?? need to put hand into the singlet and try to align before applying pressure with the outside tact?

me too.... will not wear the bib all the way.... this brings me to another question.... how to put on the tackonz when u are wearing the singlet?? need to put hand into the singlet and try to align before applying pressure with the outside tact?

What I will usually do is to fix the top of the bib to the singlet first and align them as straight as possible. You also need to account for the stretch of the fabric to get the bib flush or it will bulge and wont look nice.

After that I would put on the singlet and fix the bottom 2 holes and adjust the bib to be as flush as possible.

It sounds more complicating that it is. And as with all things in life, its get easier with practice. :)

I pin the bib on the night before, so it's on before leaving home. Waking up early is tough, and preparing everything in advance allows me to sleep that few mins more :)

Most of the runs starts early in the morning, when most people are still sleeping. I hardly bump into anyone anyway.

Icic i also pin right b4 start of race... tts y my bib always hung loosely at corners. I always go race w/o baggage. Juz a pouch n waterbottle. This tackon might post a prob for me... need to tackon b4 leaving hse.

Opps seriously no one ever torn their bib corners w safety pins?

I pin the bib with safety pins on my singlet the night before. In the morning, I wear it, then slip another tshirt over it and leave home. Reach race site, just take off the external shirt.

Tore the corner of the bib before. Then just create another hole nearby using hole puncher.

been looking for such bib holder for quite some time. finally stumble onto this thread.

seems like tackonz is breaks quite easily or bro lonewolf is very strong or maybe both!

was wondering if the magnets will really hold the bib together and not slip or move about during runs. prefer bibfix but it's not available in spore.

Hey EggFace,

Go look up Bibfix SGMY in Facebook. We r the importers!

the one that was selling at GC run was quite good. no problem during race.

Now it's furlonging as a fridge magnet cum decorative flower holders.. :thumbsu:

IMHO Bibfix looks good on paper but is a nightmare to use. I got a friend to help me purchase 2 packs when they were in Hong Kong.

So I tried a test to fix a race bib on my singlet and concluded that its very very difficult because it need to be very very exact and the margin of misalignment is extremely low. I know the instruction says to put on the bib before wearing it and to do it on a flat solid surface but I still find the process extremely cumbersome. And contrary to its claims that you dun need a hole to fix the bib, its practically impossible if one is not present.

In comparison, I still find TackOnz to be easier to use compared to BibFix. And its also possible to adjust and try to straighten the bib after you put on the singlet/tee. Another advantage TackOnz has over BibFix is that the TackOnz set comes with 6 pairs so you have some spare if you lost the top or bottom. BibFix comes with 4 pairs which mean if you lost the top or bottom, you're screwed!

Recently during the Run350 race expo, one of the booth was selling the UD race bib magnet.

UD_RaceMagnet_zpsqdtkqxie.jpg

I did not buy it to try (UP $20 Expo Price $12) so can't compare it to TackOnz or BibFix but the sample looks quite solid.

[Disclaimer: The above comments and reviews of the above products were based on actual user experience and is not intended or should be interrupted as any attempt to endorse or cast aspersions on any of the products mentioned above. I am not in the employ of or has been compensated by any companies or persons who has any direct dealing with the distributorship or sale of the above products.]

Dat disclaimer tho...

I personally use those race belt with hanging loops. Make me feel more cool cos can turn it round and round to display on side or the back... Even can hide it under shirt.... :X

I can see such products being useful for those that like to pin them neatly and squarely on their tee/ singlet.