Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoobieRunner

[Medal Hunters United] Coloured Medals

Other than collecting medals from ELM, another type of medal that I personally find appealing are coloured medals. Most medals issued in Singapore, Malaysia and even Thailand have only one boring colour. Maybe the saving grace is that at least some of the races give out well-designed and coloured lanyard

eg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5bNJR4zKlOQ/Tt38jaGBHMI/AAAAAAAADz4/SaciMLSGq9Q/s1600/2011%2Bx3%2Bhalf%2B%2528H%2529.jpg

In countries like the States and Australia, I've seen photos of how colourful the medals are.

eg http://www.connectgd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/marathon-medals.jpg

and http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GG6AIobETKA/TrpkTcNJIpI/AAAAAAAABC0/lU5ABiDAYW4/s1600/Pittsburgh%2BMedals.jpg

Any idea why Singapore lacks coloured medals?

Upz for awareness.

List of 2016 Coloured Medals

1. Monster Ultra
  2. Bukit Batok Road Race
  3. The Runner's Convention
  4. Viper Challenge
  5. BizAd Charity Run
  6. Looney Tunes Fun Run
  7. Compressport Rail Corridor Run
  8. Marina Run
  9. Twlight Ultra Challenge
  10. Metasprint Duathlon
  11. ZoooM 5K

List of 2015 Coloured Medals

1. MR25 Ultramarathon
  2. Twlight Ultra Challenge
  3. Meiji Run
  4. The Great Relay
  5. Salomon MR25 Cross-country Marathon
  6. Sundown Marathon
  7. MSIG Action Asia Singapore
  8. Tri-Factor Run
  9. Tom and Jerry Fun Run
  10. Craze Ultra
  11. The MAD Race
  12. Chua Chu Kang B.I.G. Farm Walk & Run
  13. Bedok Reservoir Ultramarathon
  14. Spartan Race
  15. Lunghi Run
  16. Santa Run for Wishes
  17. SCMS
  18. Hello Kitty Run
  19. SCMS
  20. 3 Ten Run
  21. Banana Relay
  22. MR25 Ultramarathon

List of 2014 Coloured Medals

1. NorthEast PAssion Run
  2. Twlight Ultra Challenge
  3. Lion Dash
  4. Pocari Sweat Run
  5. Bedok Reservoir Ultramarathon
  6. Chua Chu Kang B.I.G. Farm Walk & Run
  7. Hello Kitty Run
  8. Puma Night Run
  9. Santa Run For Wishes
  10. Banana Relay

Looking through my collection of medal photos, I can only see a handful of example of coloured medals. And ironically a lot of them are from medals of the typically poorer quality medals of the Mizuno series and races organised by World of Sports from previous years. The other one will be Banana Relay and Tri Factor Series.

Lai Lai... GPGT!

ColouredMedal-01_zps4bf24097.jpg
ColouredMedal-02_zpsd16168c1.jpg

Why do Singapore lacked coloured medals? Who knows. Could it perhaps be more expensive? But Banana Relay is y Running Guild and they are typically smaller in scale, so maybe they can enlighten us on the cost vs the typical medal.

But frankly between an ELM medal vs a poor quality coloured medal, I think I prefer ELM medal. The tri factor series looks to be of a reasonable quality but can't comment since I haven't seen them personally.

Interesting observation about poor quality medals having colours but not necessary all.

I have a few too like Twilight Ultra (black, silver and yellow).

Yo bro lonewolf, how do u embed pictures so I can show pics of some of my coloured collection too?

I want to GPGT but dun know how to embed pic :notfair:

PS: Some of my coloured medals though not ELM are still nice to look at and great for keepsake. And no, they are not from the crappy Mizuno-VGO company one.

Here the actual medal from the NorthEast PAssion Run. Its no longer an ELM medal but the quality is OK. Certainly better than those that Mizuno races used to issue in the past. But I have a suspicion that it will eventually rust with time.

2014-03-16NorthEastPAssionRun02_zpsa6433

is this one of the rare medals that have colours?? i looked through the ELM medals i have and none of them are coloured... maybe ELM medals cant be coloured....

so in the end can we conclude that ELM medals cant be coloured and coloured medals cant be ELM??

is this one of the rare medals that have colours?? i looked through the ELM medals i have and none of them are coloured... maybe ELM medals cant be coloured....

so in the end can we conclude that ELM medals cant be coloured and coloured medals cant be ELM??

correct. But not all coloured medals are of high quality. And the coloured medals I have from Singapore are mostly small in size as compared to an ELM medal (maybe due to cost of adding colours).

PS: I just don't like the idea of my entire medal collection being mono-colour.

correct. But not all coloured medals are of high quality. And the coloured medals I have from Singapore are mostly small in size as compared to an ELM medal (maybe due to cost of adding colours).

well but sadly, most of the races always have mono-colour.....

Colour is probably possible for ELM medals but I guess the cost would be much higher. If you look at ELM website, you can see that they are indeed capable of adding colours to military medals and other decorations. So its probably just cost.

Personally between having a mono-colour high-quality medal vs a mediocre coloured medal, I will take the high quality mono-coloured every time. Or to put it another way. I would prefer if the NorthEast PAssion run was an ELM medal even if its mono-colour. :bling:

Colour is probably possible for ELM medals but I guess the cost would be much higher. If you look at ELM website, you can see that they are indeed capable of adding colours to military medals and other decorations. So its probably just cost.

Personally between having a mono-colour high-quality medal vs a mediocre coloured medal, I will take the high quality mono-coloured every time. Or to put it another way. I would prefer if the NorthEast PAssion run was an ELM medal even if its mono-colour. :bling:

i do agree that ELM medal would be better for long term ..... no doubts about that.... but given the price we paid for a tshirt, a shoe bag and plenty of drinks on the race day... i tink this medal (with colour) really comes as a bonus.....

Actually, talking about coloured and uniquely designed medals, it brings my mind back to this. It's a marathon race that a friend of mine completed, in the USA. Really neat looking and colourful medal, complete with a surfboard. :)

P.S. Sorry for the large photo.

Surf City Marathon, USA

medal1.jpg

Actually, talking about coloured and uniquely designed medals, it brings my mind back to this. It's a marathon race that a friend of mine completed, in the USA. Really neat looking and colourful medal, complete with a surfboard. :)

P.S. Sorry for the large photo.

Surf City Marathon, USA

medal1.jpg

Designed lanyard and multi-Coloured medal and unique-looking too. This one's definitely for keeps. :thumbsu:

I wonder why Singapore races cannot do something similar to attract the medal hunters

Bro AR, wrong thread leh. This is for coloured medal not ELM medal. :acute:

Anyway, I found another local race with coloured medal. Chua Chu Kang BIG Farm Walk & Run 2013.

Can take a look to see how it looks like. It kinda look cheap but the colour makes it 'less cheap' :angel:

opppss.....got mixed up..... paiseh paiseh..... when talk about medals, first thing i think of is ELm... hahah.....

this green coloured medal looks nice as well..... wonder why my guest writer in my blog did not take the photo..... maybe casue she was taking the fun walk instead thus no medal issued.....