Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ayukawa22

2014 Taipei Standard Chartered Marathon (23 Feb)

I don't know if it applies but based on my running experience in chiang mai where the temperature is around 16-18 degree, it makes it easier to complete within the cut-off timing.

still i must admit its a challenge but worth the try. :) Will provide feedback once done with the race

Just done with the race. First 16km was horrible. Very congested until the 21km runners broke off.

After the 21km runners broke off it was like another race all together. Suddenly the route is spacious and water points no longer crowded. Weather is superb for running as well. Not too cold, not too hot and humidity was just nice.

Will have to say the general running population is quite strong in this run, the proportion of walkers is low when compared to SG FM running events.

I must agree with neo that the first 16K was very congested. Actually for me only the first 12K. after that its quite open. When hitting the PCNs the pace will pick up. The weather when compare to HK is hotter especially after the sun comes out so running in jacket is a little hot for me.

The local running population are really good. i don't see much walkers when compare to SCMHK or SCMSG or other FM running events. The weather may have played a part in it.

The water points however are not as much as SCMHK nor well organized. However the warmness shown by the volunteers manning the water points are just as welcome as SCMHK. very good but towards the end there is no much crowd left unlike SCMHK where the last 2K are filled with many people cheering us on. I was running with my hydration bag so the lack of water points are less of a issue for me.

The distance markers are also not there especially for the first 10K so very difficult to gauge distance. the route map can only be found online n not available in the race pack nor available for viewing at race pack collection area. This can improve as some are overseas runners so need to plan route.

All in all, will go next year if does not crash with SCMHK since next CNY is in Feb 16.

Did 21k and I dun see any walkers unlike Singapore races. Very competitive and this in a way help me in getting my PB. Amazed at seeing sliced banana, biscuits and wet sponge at hydration points and the volunteers are superb and encouraging ! Like what was mentioned it will be good to have distance marker at each km and insert a last 500m towards the finishing. Would give this race a 9/10 !

Actually there are distance markers every km, just that it might not be visible enough since the size is a bit small, and it is placed on the floor.

I did the 21km, and the u-turn back is congested because a lot of people are running on the other direction at that point of time. Nevertheless, it is a good experience there.

so it seems that a FM has more bad pts than a HM.... and seems congestion is an issue a tthe start since everyone is running at about the same pace and no walkers so its still crowded till everyone's pace starts to show difference at the 12-16km mark.... ok... makes sense....anyway what is the temp there like?

Anyone can share where is the start and end point? Can better plan for accommodation if going next year haha.

Hmm i thought FM have better running experience than HM as most of the congestion was due to FM + HM ppl was squeeze into a rather narrow running route.

Once the HM ppl broke off it was really good to run for the rest of the FM. If you ask me, FM definitely more enjoyable.

The temp was about 12 degree in the early morning and got to about 18 degree in the later part, humidity was rather low.

The start point is near the Ximending, walkable from there, less than 10 mins. The ending point is at DaJi park, but they provide shuttle bus(!) back to the starting point so there is not much of an issue.

Easily beat any FM events I have attended in SG, despite it being the inaugural run this year.

Chinese Taipei Road Running Association. Must view the website in Chinese.

Actually they also sent you the link to your results page via email.

I will encourage those who never try to run in taiwan before to go at least once. the feeling is just different. I was comparing with SCMHK so its a little different.

if next year have will go again.

every year should have?? from what i read, it seems that there are a lot of nitty gritty faults here and there.....

This is the first Taipei marathon of the standard chartered series. I believe they will return again next year due to good response.

The Taipei International marathon in December has a longer history, so if you are keen to run in Taipei, you can also consider that.

Actually there are tons of runs all around Taiwan. Can always find one to join to run in line with your trip there almost any part of the year.

http://www.taipeimarathon.org.tw/contest.aspx?lang=en-US

thanks for the information... i am looking for some proven good runs which have positive comments about their logistics as well.... so i can understand that sinc its their first series, there are sure bound to be faults here and there....