Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Run4yourlife

Xiamen International Marathon 2 Jan 2014

Hi, anyone going to this in Jan 14?

I read positive reviews about this from earlier threads.

Registration is already opened wef 15 Oct 13.

Hope those who went can share about flight, lodging, transportation , things to look out for, avoid etc.

Thanks

http://www.xmim.org/en/

Hope those who went can share about flight, lodging, transportation , things to look out for, avoid etc.

Thanks

I intended to do this as my first overseas marathon as the race route is flat,sceneic with excellent cool weather, making it one of the potential full marathon to achieve a personal best after speaking to runners who have done this marathon before.

However,i may skip 2014 edition as I am only left with less than a month to train for a full marathon due to frequent overseas work assignments from November till December -__- Assuming i do decide to be irrational and register for it,I will update here again, haha.

I have been to Xiamen before this January for work and the weather ranged from14 to 18 degrees.The company I worked for booked a SilkAir 4 hours direct flight to Xiamen.Logically, you will want to book a hotel near the start should you wish to do Xiamen marathon. Let me know if you have other questions and I do my best to clarify your doubts here.

Thanks Trail, for your usfeul info on flight, climate.etc

In general I am okie with Chinese cities, though have never been to Xiamen.

was browsing thur their race info in Mandarin and reaslised that only FM will have timing and medal.

As I have neber ran in cold climate before, like a HM is on the cards.

The first hurdle now is the trivial issue of getting leave approved ;)

Hope to see more postings, cheers!

Thanks Trail, for your usfeul info on flight, climate.etc

In general I am okie with Chinese cities, though have never been to Xiamen.

was browsing thur their race info in Mandarin and reaslised that only FM will have timing and medal.

As I have neber ran in cold climate before, like a HM is on the cards.

The first hurdle now is the trivial issue of getting leave approved ;)

Hope to see more postings, cheers!

On the other hand, I have been to China too often for work assignments instead of leisure :x

The temperature is considered cool which depends on how you define "cold" (to me,it has to below 10 degrees or the sub zero range). Should you choose to go Xiamen,just bring extra clothing but winterwear isn't really required though.

FM will have a cut off timing of 6 hours which i think it is achievable as the race route is flat (no hill/slopes or roller coaster elevation) and scenic.

As web info is not fully up yet, I am unable to get locate some info that I am looking for, specifically:

- cut-off for FM is 6 hrs, but do they have specfic cut-off times at certain points, and beyond those times, the route will be closed and runners will be DNF? Grateful if past participants can share their experiences.

I have checked briefly on flight, As I planned to fly out on 1 Jan, Silkair is damn dear, $1000 plus/ pax for a round trip.

The cheaper option I discover is from zuji, on Xiamen Airlines, at $500 plus / pax , round trip.

No-one considering this mara at all? USD 20 for HM, USD30 for FM!

As web info is not fully up yet, I am unable to get locate some info that I am looking for, specifically:

- cut-off for FM is 6 hrs, but do they have specfic cut-off times at certain points, and beyond those times, the route will be closed and runners will be DNF? Grateful if past participants can share their experiences.

I have checked briefly on flight, As I planned to fly out on 1 Jan, Silkair is damn dear, $1000 plus/ pax for a round trip.

The cheaper option I discover is from zuji, on Xiamen Airlines, at $500 plus / pax , round trip.

No-one considering this mara at all? USD 20 for HM, USD30 for FM!

If you are able to read Chinese, the full information for the race details has been released.

Yes, there are specific cut off times at certain points stated in their race details in the website.

I just did a random search at Sillkair website and assuming if you booked at 30 Dec to 3 Jan,it is only $574.Not too sure how you get $1000+. For a gold IAAF/ AIMS certified race,it is certainly affordable.

What's the nearest hotel to the start point? Is the end point also at the start point? :turned:

The start and end point is the same. (Xiamen International Conference & Exhibition Center or in Chinese stated in the race route map, 国际会议展览中心). Just that i am not too sure of the hotels in that area though.

Thanks Trail, for your post.

I plan to fly out on 1 Jan, so that explains the pricier airfare.

Anyway , will continue to do homework on flight and lodging. If u go, then u can be my tour guide ;).Btw , wats "must see, must do" for first-timer like me in XM?

Thanks Trail, for your post.

I plan to fly out on 1 Jan, so that explains the pricier airfare.

Anyway , will continue to do homework on flight and lodging. If u go, then u can be my tour guide ;).Btw , wats "must see, must do" for first-timer like me in XM?

Assuming if i choose to be irrational and take the plunge to sign up for Xiamen marathon, I will be more than welcomed to help you out as i do have the hardcopy Xiamen travel guide brochures in both English and Chinese.For a start, you can visit http://xmtravel.gov.cn/ (in chinese) or http://cmp.visitxm.com:8080/ (in English)

I only had a one day stay at Xiamen though but I did view a part of Xiamen marathon route (环岛路) which is a beautiful, flat and scenic park area with the help of my client which i worked with.

Thanks

I consider going but the date of event not very clear.

official web states the event is on 2nd Jan & also states first sat of Jan.

Actually what is the event date, which is which, I confuse now.

The "first Sat" probably werent edited properly on the web page.

If you read the Chinese version, its every 2 Jan, on 2 Jan Thurs in 2014

比赛时间:每年的12日。 2014年比赛时间为12日(星期四

What's the nearest hotel to the start point? Is the end point also at the start point? :turned:

IIRC, the hotel next to the start/end point is Xiamen International Seaside Hotel. Good breakfast.

u mean the race is on 2 Jan Thur?

First time come across race is on wkday.

It is. Anyways theres email addy on the website.I have emailed them to seek confirmation.

厦门国际马拉松赛组委会办公室
地址:厦门市体育路2号厦门市体育局
邮编:361012
电话:0086-592-5121241 5114853
传真:0086-592-5121241
邮箱:xmmarathon@126.com
竞赛部
地址:厦门市体育路2号
电话:0086-592-5121235 5114853

市场运营及后勤保障部
地址:厦门市湖滨北路123号广电中心1楼
电话:0086-592-5301666 5301104
传真:0086-592-5301688

邮箱:marathonxm@gmail.com

It is. Anyways theres email addy on the website.I have emailed them to seek confirmation.

厦门国际马拉松赛组委会办公室
地址:厦门市体育路2号厦门市体育局
邮编:361012
电话:0086-592-5121241 5114853
邮箱:xmmarathon@126.com
竞赛部
地址:厦门市体育路2号
电话:0086-592-5121235 5114853

市场运营及后勤保障部
地址:厦门市湖滨北路123号广电中心1楼
电话:0086-592-5301666 5301104
传真:0086-592-5301688

邮箱:marathonxm@gmail.com

the web info on their eng version is not updated, very limited.

anyway u confirm gg? heard that nikko hotel is near to start pt maybe

u can chk it out.

oh ya, I have already registered for FM as well as bought air tickets. Doing homework on lodging now.

Hope to see most posts, esp from runners who had done XMIM in the past

oh ya, I have already registered for FM as well as bought air tickets. Doing homework on lodging now.

do u know when is the race pack collection dates & venue?

I recalled locating the info on venue somewhere on the website. Can only say the website's info is cluttered and not updated now

Anyone else registered? we can post list of Q&A here, consol and email organizer ;).

Btw,registration is a breeze on the website (English version).

Congratulations for your registration here, Run4yourlife! :)

Hi,

I am back, after completing the XMIM 2014 on 2 Jan 14. I had a good race experience and feel that I must spread the good word about this marathon (similar to the good race reviews I browsed when deciding on this race). So, here you go:

Registration and pre-race

I registered online using credit card and it was a breeze. The downsides are that not all relevant information is available when the event opened for registration in Oct 2013, so I checked back repeatedly for updates. Next is lodging and flight.Think only 2 airlines fly out direct from SIN to Xiamen (Silkair and Xiamen Airlines), I chose Silkair. Lodging is also booked online using Agoda, so minimum fuss too, except that I thought I can finally rest at hotel (at starting point - 国际会展中心),after collectiong rack pack on the eve of race, I realised then that my hotel (though is 会展中心 branch), isnt really at the 会展中心, but roughly 2 plus km away. And I spent around 1 plus hour circling round the place and asking around and ended up taking a 5 min cab ride there :)...so much for pre-race familiarisation.

Race day

There were a few groups booked into my hotel for the marathon, so its a thoughtful part on the hotel to start breakfast early at 0530, to cater for the marathon particpants. Next I took a brisk stroll cum jog to the flag-off point, for bag desposit, picture taking etc. Along the way, I chatted with 2 Chinese runners who came from 温州 in Zhejiang province. They mentioned they had ran the XMIM annually since its inaugural edition in 2004 and assured me that I will enjoy my maiden XMIM. I tagged along with them, deposited our bags, and entered the race pen. More chatting and and picture taking, another hour to go before flagging off at 8 am. Then this happned;)...we all know, we are Chinese, (same same but different)...the bugger standing next to me lighted up a cigarette and started puffing away :). Next his buddy lighted up too;). Wa seh, and no one seems bothered, until someone from behind couldnt tahan & shouted for them to stop, followed by more verbal objections. Next up is the warm up session with a female dance on top of a platform, and 5 minutes before 8 am, the 领导gave a short speech.

The run

Before XMIM, I had only ran tropical marathons here and Malaysia, so I had no idea what doing a winter marathon is like. I cant prepare for it too. Well wishers adviced me to wear one more layer, get gloves. I had browsed thru the photo gallery of previous editions and runners wore the tee / singlet and running shorts. So, I took off in my usual tee and shorts, as I know my body will generate heat as I ran. The temp was 16 degrees, with no wind...not brrrrr kind of cold. The route is an out and back one, along the coastline, so its scenic and nice, u-turning at the 21 km mark. Little congestion at all, as different categories (10Km, half-mara, roller-bladers, wheel-chair were flagged off at different points and times) and whole roads were closed for race.Drink points were aplenty, first at the 5 km mark, folllowed by every 2-3 KM with water and isotonic beverage (盐典).What really stood out for me was the crowd support! From the first KM onwards, shouts of 加油,加油 continued non-stop, with 啦啦队 supporters lined up on both sides of the road. I read about such crowd support at marathons in China, but to experience it first hand is so heartwarming and touching, esp in winter. As he route also passed thru some stretches of residential areas, passerbys and residents stood and cheered, some even offering drinks and warm food. The most touching part for me was when I see church-going elderlies lining up cheering and singing. At the business end of the race near the 33 km mark, right after I descended from the bridge, nuns and passerbys were helping to hand out hot mee sua, cake and other food, from a temple along the road. That almost brought tears to my eyes...

Post race

I participated in this XMIM with objectives of experiencing running in winter climate, plus completing in under 6 hours (to take certifcate and medal). I achieved both fortunately. As there is ample space and human resources, bag collection, certificate issuance (yes, issued on the spot)and race completion goodie bag collection were fast. I did not stayed long at end pount as I wanted to hurry back to hotel, shower and rest.

Now thinking back, it is indeed my 福气 to have experienced and done this marathon. I ran and completed, with joy and gratitude. Joy , because there is a 45 min improvement :)...gratitude as I had experience first hand warmth and encouragement throughout the race.

This is my first China marathon and I am sure it will not be my last. There are over 40 marathons in China annually, 下回要去哪骑

Question time: No one did this marathon on 2 Jan 14?

nice review... will definitely do a marathon in China soon.

Now, there are a lot of new running events in China, so need to pick carefully... heard that runners had to pay for isotonic drinks at water stations in a recent marathon in Hainan (海南), and the runners were not told beforehand. Days later the organisers apologised, blaming poor communication with sponsors...isn't that hilarious?!

i think you had a Very nice experience indeed for the marathon.... glad that you made the decision to sign up....

on the part about another marathon where runners had to pay, this is atrocious... i dun think this is fair esp when no one was told about it.....

When I studied the race course and saw that drink points are plenty, I took a risk by leaving my fuel belt in the hotel. I think as XMIM is government organised, so all resources were pumped in to make it a success. You can even ask for a full bottle of water at the water points ;)

XMIM truly deserves its IAAF gold label!