Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jas007

Hydration Pack : Ultimate Direction vs Salomon ?

Hi Eggface,

UD PB Vest 2.0 ... i've not experienced using it in wet weather conditions as yet

i can somewhat verify what those reviewers mentioned about water in waterproof areas of the bag ... i will reveal later on in this post

as for perspiration sipping into the bag ...

thus far, i have not encountered so after numerous runs

and like tekko, i too use a few non-branded ziploc bags to further keep my stuff in the bag

i usually have a few of these ...

typically, i would have :

1) change of clothes (where necessary)

2) 'medical kit' ... Acti-Tapes of varying lengths, plasters, Muscle Rub (in contact lens casing), hair gel also in similar casing

3) maps, etc

4) hydration bladder (in case leakage or burst)

5) extra food or drinks

next, maintenance of the pack

i always clean after usage (same goes for those armbands as well) ... bcos our sweat is a terrible substance

the norm would be to use a damp face towel and wipe over all parts esp those that are in contact with the back part of the body, the 2 front pockets, the sides, and the water bottle holsters

i do not use detergent ... and have never used (cos i think it was in the instructions)

so far, my pack is free from any leftover bodily odor

the reason why i towel it as opposed to washing is bcos i use my pack very often

hence i need it dry asap

i use the pack for any runs 7KM and above (sort of training and integration such that the pack is never deem a liability to me on my runs) ...

sometimes, i use it as a normal backpack too for non-runs if i'm dressed in running attire but sandals instead of shoes

the few times that i have washed it, i did so from the kitchen sink

just fill up the sink with water and soak the whole pack in ...

do so about 2-3 times and done, no detergent used

the water in the waterproof compartment ... I had to turn the pack upside down, inside out to drain

but like i said, the front pockets would not be able to accommodate any smartphone larger than an iPhone 5

you could either utilize one of the side zipper compartments, or separately do so via an armband phone pouch

lastly, it doesn't come with hydration bladder ... if u need, u gonna have to purchase it separately or use an old one that u have

if u do not have any, i recommend u get one like Ogio's

it's a old down type, with a clip locking system much like a ziploc bag style

i prefer this cos it's so much easier to fill/refill water ... clean the insides, and best of all ... put ice blocks into it

i normally freeze a small ziploc bag, tear off the bag, dump ice into bladder and top up rest with cold water ! :)

the 2 water bottles supplied, thk I used on one run

I find them too bulky n they get in my arm's way

I run with my arms in front of my chest

PS : have a thorough look at the Sundown Expo ! i bot my Ogio at a fraction of the retail price from SCSM's

think i paid $21 for a 2L one (retail i think is $35)

not sure, dun buy ... dun commit ... can always return to the expo after you get the hydration pack of your choice

good luck

I forgot to add that the UD PB Vest 2.0 cannot be truly waterproof cos on either side of the pack is an outlet hole for the hydration tubing

Thanks for the in depth review and advice.

I do have a couple for bladder but can't remember how many litres. I have one from Ogio too as i bought their hydration bag last yr during Sundown Expo. have not used the bladder though.

Can't wait till sun to go KPI MS and the Race Expo to check out all the deals and offers there. LOL...

Egg,

there are 2 vapors

VaporCloud $265

VaporWrap $199

my personal opinion is .... go for UD PB

the vapors dun really have that many more compartments as I tot u suggested

the mesh nothing I fear might actually ruin your running top esp if it's like my TNF super thin fabric type

the storage seems tight, and hard to access

the bladder is slotted into just closest to the runners back

very bad bcos water will be warm to hot ... heated by runner's back

if u drop ice blocks in also useless as it shld melt in next to no time

only thing I kinda like is yday the tube has a magnetic catch to secure onto the harness

by the way ... KPI has a 20% discount on all products except Sunito ? watches n Brooks shoes

good for 3 days to coincide with SD Expo

chk pm reg UD vest

Egg,

there are 2 vapors

VaporCloud $265

VaporWrap $199

my personal opinion is .... go for UD PB

the vapors dun really have that many more compartments as I tot u suggested

the mesh nothing I fear might actually ruin your running top esp if it's like my TNF super thin fabric type

the storage seems tight, and hard to access

the bladder is slotted into just closest to the runners back

very bad bcos water will be warm to hot ... heated by runner's back

if u drop ice blocks in also useless as it shld melt in next to no time

only thing I kinda like is yday the tube has a magnetic catch to secure onto the harness

by the way ... KPI has a 20% discount on all products except Sunito ? watches n Brooks shoes

good for 3 days to coincide with SD Expo

chk pm reg UD vest

Thanks Jas007!!!

u have just made my decision easier n m leaning even more towards UD now...

words from the wise runner (aka old bird or lao jiao)

20% on all products? whawha... time to get socks!

lol

maybe I bias towards UD

if u'd asked UD vs Salomon, it would have been tougher

bcos how many Nathan packs (newer versions) have u seen from race pics than UD or Salomon lol

u can take a closer look at the Nathan at SD Expo

KPI booth has the blue yellow version on display

I've had a quick look again, see more lil compartments but these are in and ard those side zippers compartments. difficult to access on the runs

UD holsters side pockets are way better IMHO

sorry, no time to take pics

delayed after taking time to decide if I shld splash $119 for NB 890v4 .... n then deciding which color lol

ended up choosing the London cos so many bot the Boston already lol

btw Egg .... aren't u doing GCR this Sunday ?

buy the pack after that ???? I'm confused lol

tot u rushing so can use on Sunday, no ?

forgot to add ....

socks on offer at SD Expo too

drymax, feetures, etc

NB ones $5 a pair

lol

maybe I bias towards UD

bcos how many Nathan packs (newer versions) have u seen from race pics than UD or Salomon lol

I've had a quick look again, see more lil compartments but these are in and ard those side zippers compartments. difficult to access on the runs

delayed after taking time to decide if I shld splash $119 for NB 890v4 .... n then deciding which color lol

forgot to add ....

drymax, feetures, etc

NB ones $5 a pair

Yeah i m doing GCR on sun. But if i cant get the vest before that i will juz use the existing bag i hv n wear my old running top so that i wont damage anymore tops.

Was actually deciding between solamon n nathan until i chance ur thread in UD. Did a further search on UD n seems like its better n has what i m looking for. As i hv yet to touch feel n try UD, thats y i m holding back.

The vest is actually more for yr end TNF n maybe some other HM in 2nd half of the yr.

lol

maybe I bias towards UD

forgot to add ....

drymax, feetures, etc

NB ones $5 a pair

Yeah i m doing GCR on sun. But if i cant get the vest before that i will juz use the existing bag i hv n wear my old running top so that i wont damage anymore tops.

Was actually deciding between solamon n nathan until i chance ur thread in UD. Did a further search on UD n seems like its better n has what i m looking for. As i hv yet to touch feel n try UD, thats y i m holding back.

The vest is actually more for yr end TNF n maybe some other HM in 2nd half of the yr.

glad my post created awareness :lol:

pardon my saying ... but forget about the nathans, camels, ogio ... my apologies to the makers :)

seasoned ultra runners (i am not) ... preference are : Salomon or UD

that's where i drew the conclusion from ... from FB photos of Craze Ultra, Bedok Reservoir Ultra, TNF, and other long distance races ...

and then reading up on reviews ... and youtubes

some of the runners even own both !!! :lol:

no regrets getting the UD PB. Totally no bounce. but I still gota learn about proper loading coz I could feel more weight on my left shoulders than right

no regrets getting the UD PB. Totally no bounce. but I still gota learn about proper loading coz I could feel more weight on my left shoulders than right

most importantly, did it ruin your running top ?

after yday's GCR, got home bathed changed and went out with my family

i returned to clean all my gear

dumped the UD vest into the washing machine and washed (with nothing else ... in case tangled and tear etc)

put a lil (just a tad) washing detergent ... and do only wash cycles (no spin dry)

smelling freshest now since the day i bot it ;):lol:

Wow so ex....

SG ... everything marked up

that's why i bot the UD v1 from Amazon

still ex, but i thk saved more than $50 if i were to buy direct from local shop

EggFace, before purchase ...

pls find out if got promo with other cards ...

i think they (KPI) have discount with Standard Chartered cc ...

I bought the salomon advance skin 12. Everything included. 250 sing. But my sister brought it back home from HK. She stays there. I recommend doing some home work before buyin online. Not every site send to Singapore. Amazon price and running warehouse price was still ex compared to the same model I bought. Even after conversion their price is still above 250 sing and thats excluding shipping. Unfortunately I wanted red and black salomon but they only had the all black. As for fit wise. If you dun put things inside the compartment and just use the bladder alone. The bladder will bounce. I bought a xs/s. I had skin abrasion near my collar bone. Not sure if I adjusted the pack wrongly and hence only friction on on3 side. Generally these packs will fit well on men. On a woman, I feel that the latest advance skin 12 set fits better. Pros and cons. Depends on capacity. I put ice in my bladder as I prefer cold water hence if u are gonna do the same, u need to have your things packed into a ziploc bag or plastic bag before putting them into the pack. The condensation will Cause the bag and ur things which is right behind the hydration bladder to be wet. Also when it rains. Its not waterproof. Towel was damp after green corridor :(

Ling,

i dunno much abt Salomon pack ...

but u might wanna see if there's a velcro within the pack ...

UD has it

purpose is to hold bladder upright. do so by looping velcro over the bladder's handle.

suggest u put a ziploc over the bladder too

that way :

1) your other stuff (preferably ziploc too) are dry

2) acts as an insulation for the bladder (not sure if yours already comes with a bladder insulation ... i vaguely rem Salomon has, UD doesn't)

3) traps whatever water from condensation or spillage (however unlikely)

also, i pointed out before ...

remove the sloshing sound of the bladder (in case u missed) ... fill it up, attach tubing, turn upside down, 'drink' the air out of the bag until u actually drinking water ... no more irritating sloshing sound after that

It comes with insulation and becos I put super Lots of ice .... and plus I perspire quite a bit. Thanks on the tip on removing air...

It comes with insulation and becos I put super Lots of ice .... and plus I perspire quite a bit. Thanks on the tip on removing air...

lots of ice ... cubes ?

i put blocks of ice !

one block = one frozen small ziploc

takes longer for it to melt than cubes (which i did on my first few tries)

the other thing is ... UD (i think Salomon too) are so thin ...

and that the bladder is right up against our warm backs ...

the ice melts super quick

my old pack ... which has a thicker back mesh ...

the water stays cool for up to 3-4 hours (on my LSDs)

maybe shld put some kinda thin but effective insulation (another one) between back and (my existing DIY insulation) bladder !

Thanks for the tip on blocks. But salomon bladder is only 1.5l I was contemplating on freezing the pack. Not sure if its advisable. What else do u use for diy insulation. Yes my back melts the ice fast cos its quite thin.

Thanks for the tip on blocks. But salomon bladder is only 1.5l I was contemplating on freezing the pack. Not sure if its advisable. What else do u use for diy insulation. Yes my back melts the ice fast cos its quite thin.

oh ya ... now u mentioned it ...

how do u store your bladder and tubing after wash/rinse ?

correct way is to keep it in the freezer

as for freezing the pack, used to do that ...

but it's more tricky than u think ... a lot of work

i used to struggle for at half at hour just to prep prior for runs in the morn ...

problems :

1) if you freeze the whole bag, then u'll need it to defrost fast enuff in able for you to have water to drink (might work with our thinner vest) BUT ... read further ...

2) hard time maintaining the shape of the bag when u put it in the freezer, it will deform, and most likely, you'll end up with one corner pointed sharply ... this is not good! cos it might eventually rip thru your pack

3) previously my bladder was those screw on/off cap type. when i filled it up to freeze ... the cap area would be frozen stiff. i'd had a hard time pouring (cold) water in to top up and to aid with the melting of the ice.

i bought a bladder to replace that old cap type. new one is those like ziploc kind. way better !

How To Keep Hydration Pack Fluids Cold

i'd done this for the old pack and bladder and it worked wonderfully.

but that old pack had an insulated back mesh also.

i used the same insulation on the new bladder on my UD.

given the thinness and close proximity of the bladder to the back (of the runner), the insulation isn't quite up to mark as the old.

perhaps double insulating and putting bigger blocks of ice into the pack might just work!

and if it does, there's the added bonus of the pack keeping your back cool ... like a portable aircon lol

remember, top up the bladder to your desired level with cold water ... not warm (for obvious reasons)

i think daiso so sell some insulation bags. perhaps can buy one to modify it to fit the bladder. combined the insulation bag with the DIY insulation should be able to solve it.