Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yaoxing

Shanghai International Marathon

I have considered doing marathons in China too, but Shanghai marathon has just slipped out of my radar though =X

Definitely consider doing this next time since Shanghai's weather in December can be quite cold (ranges from 6 to 10 degrees)

I have downloaded the course route to have a look and personally think it should be quite scenic and flat too =)

Shanghai International Marathon

http://www.shmarathon.com/en/home.php

1 Dec 2013

Registration is still open. I'm surprised no one mentioned this marathon at all.

I signed up for it. Anyone else going too?

Hi yaoxing,

I am going, but just be doing the half marathon.

The regulation says we are required to produce medical fitness report.

Do you think if they really ask for it during the bib collection ?

It will be my first time running in China.

Cheers!

Hi yaoxing,

I am going, but just be doing the half marathon.

The regulation says we are required to produce medical fitness report.

Do you think if they really ask for it during the bib collection ?

It will be my first time running in China.

Cheers!

Nice to see fellow Singapore runners taking part. :thumbsu:

If you print out your entry form, there is a small unfilled part of your entry form called the Physical Examination Notes. Since you'll need the entry form to collect your race pack on collection day I think they'll most likely check that it has been duly filled.

I'm thinking of just going to my regular clinic to ask the doctor to certify for me for a small fee. In any case, I'm most likely bringing my SAF FFI certificate as a supporting document too. They may not understand what it is but maybe that will work for me.

My first time running in China too, and I expect the air to be cold. Still trying to figure out how to keep myself warm when I run.

Darn... I haven't booked my flight and hotel yet.

Hi, try checking out the current offers by SQ.

Only $380 flying on Airbus A380 to Shanghai.

The only catch is minimum 2 pax to enjoy the offer.

Grab someone to go with you, then.

I booked my flight and hotel using Expedia and will be staying near the end point in Shanghai Olympic Hotel. :thumbsu:

My first time going Shanghai so I'm not too sure. I simply pick whichever is cheap , good and convenient in Expedia.

Hi friends, good to know a handful of us going. Any idea if running in our regular dry-fit vest and shorts work for this December run in Shanghai ?

I'm noob here so can't give much advice. I plan to get a Columbia Omni-Heat long-sleeve shirt. Don't wish to take any chances with the cold weather.

Came back last night. It turns out that they don't even bother to check my ID and my physical examination proof. All I needed to bring was the confirmation slip. The days leading up to race day were colder than the usual Shanghai climate due to a cold air current from the north. On the actual day, it moderated to the regular Shanghai temperature which everyone was comfortable with.

I wore compression tights and a thermal long pants and two layers of long sleeve tights and that was more than enough to keep me warm during to run.

The atmosphere at the start was great. There was only one wave, and all the distances start in the same wave. The flag-off was spot-on at exactly 7:00am.
The crowd support along the way was great. The locals line up to cheer the runners on and the runners kept running throughout. You don't see couples holding hands or gangs of walkers blocking your way here. The field of runners here are serious about running, whether they are fast or slow. You get to see people lining up by the side of the streets to cheer you on for more than half the route distance.
The planned route was quite demoralising after 27km, where we had to cross a huge bridge twice and make several u-turns.

The atmosphere at the end was great too, with supporters getting to cheer you on from the side, and a guy was distributing mylar wraps after the finish line.

During the race there were also public supporters giving out bananas and Snicker chocolate bars to the runners.

I had a bad cramp at 22km. It just came suddenly. Then I realised that my dehydration had gone unnoticed for too long. I had to slow down quite a lot but in the end still improved my FM timing by about 30 minutes compared to my Sundown FM 2013 results.

Came back last night. It turns out that they don't even bother to check my ID and my physical examination proof. All I needed to bring was the confirmation slip. The days leading up to race day were colder than the usual Shanghai climate due to a cold air current from the north. On the actual day, it moderated to the regular Shanghai temperature which everyone was comfortable with.

I wore compression tights and a thermal long pants and two layers of long sleeve tights and that was more than enough to keep me warm during to run.

The atmosphere at the start was great. There was only one wave, and all the distances start in the same wave. The flag-off was spot-on at exactly 7:00am.
The crowd support along the way was great. The locals line up to cheer the runners on and the runners kept running throughout. You don't see couples holding hands or gangs of walkers blocking your way here. The field of runners here are serious about running, whether they are fast or slow. You get to see people lining up by the side of the streets to cheer you on for more than half the route distance.
The planned route was quite demoralising after 27km, where we had to cross a huge bridge twice and make several u-turns.

The atmosphere at the end was great too, with supporters getting to cheer you on from the side, and a guy was distributing mylar wraps after the finish line.

During the race there were also public supporters giving out bananas and Snicker chocolate bars to the runners.

I had a bad cramp at 22km. It just came suddenly. Then I realised that my dehydration had gone unnoticed for too long. I had to slow down quite a lot but in the end still improved my FM timing by about 30 minutes compared to my Sundown FM 2013 results.

Great to see your race review and congrats to your improvement in timing here :)

The crowd atmosphere and running etiquette in oversea runs are what I will look forward to when it is my turn to do one overseas run. :)

heard the pm2.5 seems bad there. Read from the papers that runner complained of chest pain after the marathon.

The crowd atmosphere and running etiquette in oversea runs are what I will look forward to when it is my turn to do one overseas run. :)

You really should try an overseas marathon at least once, especially outside South-East Asia, to experience the kind of climate and crowd support you don't find in this region. I think I'll either do the Shanghai Marathon again or the Taipei Marathon next December, especially on seeing that our very own Standard Chartered Marathon deteriorating in quality of race experience.

heard the pm2.5 seems bad there. Read from the papers that runner complained of chest pain after the marathon.

I arrived on Thursday morning and was able the smell unburn fuel everywhere. I guess it was due to the exhaust of poorly maintained heavy vehicles throughout the city. After having spent one day in the city I got used to it and didn't really notice the pollution anymore.

I did notice reduced visibility on race day but I didn't realise it was that bad until a local told me about it after the race. It was also reported in the local news later that day that the AQI was unhealthy. I was lucky not to be affected by the haze.

The air, however, was very dry and I was quickly dehydrated before I knew it. It was a precious lesson learnt from my first overseas marathon attempt.