Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trailblazer

New Release of Garmin GPS Running Watch: Forerunner 220 & 620

Anyone 620 users having accuracy issues?

I have done 2 runs so far on firmware 2.8 (GPS 3.1): 10km (actual distance ~10.7km) and 2.27km (actual 2.4km), course is 730m lap on mapometer (http://sg.mapometer.com/running/route_2573418.html), tree cover is like any normal neighbourhood.

From above, the error margin is ~7% and 5.42%... which is quite substantial in my opinion. Is this the norm for most GPS watches considering the tree cover?

Do you have the GPS track to compare?

You can try to submit report to garmin either e-mailing (forgot the exact email) or go on forum to post.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

One of the hotter FR620 threads

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?65707-GPS-inaccuracies/page28

GPS tracks here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/528253631

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/530918044

I'll post in that topic then, seems to be quite a common issue for this model.

assuming you are lapping the same route.. dear god... those are ugly...

Had same issue with my Fenix2.. qq..

Although I think software wise the fenix and FR team are different working groups.

Ya.. I noticed the gps tracking become really bad near thick foliage/ tall buildings...

Agree with lazyitachi. Your 620 really didn't plot the route you took well.

For my 220,I don't really have such issue but in the worst case situation it fails, I may want to use it with a calibrated footpod (back up move).

Puzzling to see a high end 620 will have off tangent route plotting issue. Hmm...

I relook at the track and I switch to satellite mode to see actual terrain.

All I see is tall building... tall building.. tall buildings....

I can only tell you from running in CBD... somehow the gps is REALLY skewed by tall buildings...

I walk even 50 m near.. the track go haywire.. HAIZ...

So... apparently it's the highrise + tree cover and also 620 doesn't do well with lapping. I'm aware of the limitations of GPS watches but a 620 giving this margin of error is quite unacceptable given that it's quite high-end.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

This guy plots data from a lot of watches and it seems that using a calibrated footpod is the best option. And apparently the GPS in the iPhone 4s is really really good :P

So... apparently it's the highrise + tree cover and also 620 doesn't do well with lapping. I'm aware of the limitations of GPS watches but a 620 giving this margin of error is quite unacceptable given that it's quite high-end.

This guy plots data from a lot of watches and it seems that using a calibrated footpod is the best option. And apparently the GPS in the iPhone 4s is really really good :P

wow. quite informative, thanks for sharing. And I am also using a 620. :(

wow. quite informative, thanks for sharing. And I am also using a 620. :(

No problem.

Anyway I have done some research on foot pods too. The main advantage is once you calibrate them, they are more accurate than GPS for distance, pace and cadence. The main catch is with change in speed/pace, change in shoes, change in location placed on shoes, the calibration will be off (which is quite a pain in the ass IMO). So for me, the only real reason to use foot pods is for treadmill running because when running outdoors, I will probably be changing shoes and changing pace pretty often.

Going for IPPT soon and would like to know if the timing works fine without GPS and function like a stopwatch?

Going for IPPT soon and would like to know if the timing works fine without GPS and function like a stopwatch?

Yes,you can use the your Garmin Forerunner 220/620 without the GPS. It can only track time if you do so but even having said that,I will switch on the GPS function if my IPPT run has a stadium track.

Does the 620 have an internal accelerometer?

Cos Fenix 2 has one and it uses your recorded stride length to guesstimate your pace (based on your cadence) and okok accuracy.

yes..... in fact both 220 and 620 have an on-board accelerometer that is pre-calibrated so even with no gps signals, we would still be able to track our cadence.....

Have you guys tried the HRM with other running apps on your iPhone or Android? Cos I'm testing with my friend and he's interested to purchase the Garmin HRM to pair with his iPhone/Android and use it with Adidas MiCoach App. I have tried to pair with my Samsung S5 but it doesn't detect the HRM.

Does anyone know where to buy the HRM-run and how much it cost? Mine start to split...

I bought mine online.... its unboxed from ebay...

but it works for me..... fingers crossed nth happen within the year...

else... have to think of ways to game the system...

The local distros i think is quite expensive IIRC .. 150 SGD?