Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trailblazer

New Release of Garmin GPS Running Watch: Forerunner 220 & 620

New firmware 2.60 is available now!

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

• Enable operation of WIFI channels 12 and 13 by region.
  • Corrected WIFI communication errors on certain networks.
  • Corrected issued with GPS failing to update when GPS is disabled.
  • Various minor fixes.

That reminds me of the Garmin Forerunner 220 update from 2.50 to 2.60 which I updated with the Garmin Express software:)

I notice my GPS satellite reception is ligntning fast when in the open air after the update (within 5 to 10 seconds,i get full signal strength :D)

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60: (link at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6643)

• Corrected issued with GPS failing to update when GPS is disabled
  • Fixed various minor issues.

New firmware 2.60 is available now!

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

• Enable operation of WIFI channels 12 and 13 by region.
  • Corrected WIFI communication errors on certain networks.
  • Corrected issued with GPS failing to update when GPS is disabled.
  • Various minor fixes.

tempted to get the Fenix 2...anyone have the Fenix 1?

I have running kakis who are into ultra running and they use Fenix 1.

Fenix 2 is a multi sports watch which i consider it the successor of Garmin 910XT for now unless a new model is released to replace 910.

DC Rainmaker did an in-depth review a few days ago for Garmin Fenix 2. Click here for his blog post.

Nice.. finally the review is out.

General

16 hour time on 1 sec GPS tracking less than XT 20 hour time. Ultra long recording up to 55 hours!

The hiking and adventure features look good! With maps!

Good as day to day watch beating XT handily

Running

The features/ pages seem comparable to that of the other models.

Same for auto lap which only goes by distance but allow to specify the distance

Love the resume later option for running

I like the virtual partner. Gotten used to it with FR10

Not into the Running Dynamics and the other 620 new features but more data is always better. Seems fairly accurate from his first look review

Swimming/ Biking/ Multisport

Seems the swim features are quite acceptable. using accelerometer for tracking strokes and GPS for open swim.

The strap is sturdy so may not be the disaster that is XT quick release

No bike profile so have to re-pair as needed

Multisport ability seems consistent with XTs

Overall it seems like very favorable review as it took almost all the great features from the forerunners. I am so torn now.... Should I take the dive and get a Fenix 2 instead?!?!? Anyone else looking at Fenix 2/ FR910XT?

Very informative review from this forum...finally I got a Forerunner 220 from SLS (World Coord)...best price than stated here.

Anyone can share which data fields u choose to display for data pg1 & pg2.

Very informative review from this forum...finally I got a Forerunner 220 from SLS (World Coord)...best price than stated here.

Thanks for the compliment and getting a better price for your Foreunner 220 than what we did back then =)

To answer you, I usually use page 1 only. The 3 data fields for page 1 that are used:

Top field: Distance

Middle field: Timer

Bottom field: Pace (current)

Page 2 for me is customised this way since I don't use this page often:

Top field: Cadence (number of steps taken per minute for both legs)

Middle field: Average pace

Bottom field: Pace Heart rate (if you use the heart rate strap)

Thanks for the compliment and getting a better price for your Foreunner 220 than what we did back then =)

To answer you, I usually use page 1 only. The 3 data fields for page 1 that are used:

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers..

For those that dun need even 220 functions, can wait for fr15 launching soon....got sneak peek in dcrainmaker website....

The same size as fr10, but with added battery life, etc. Also the large size of the font is good for an uncle like me....

Esp with the ANT+ upgrade, seems like quite a good watch for premium entry level!

Can add on HRM or footpod when needed!

the cost diff for 220 and 620 is quite high.. more than $100.... jus for 4 or 5 more features.... each feature about $20 plus....worth??

Bit the bullet and plonked down the dough for the 620 as a replacement for the useless FR10 (at least for a slow runner like me doing the marathon). I can only say it's money well-spent. If Mok Ying Ren is using the same watch, it must be good enough for lesser mortals like us.

Bit the bullet and plonked down the dough for the 620 as a replacement for the useless FR10 (at least for a slow runner like me doing the marathon). I can only say it's money well-spent. If Mok Ying Ren is using the same watch, it must be good enough for lesser mortals like us.

Good decision made and I am sure it is an upgrade from FR 10 =)

Good decision made and I am sure it is an upgrade from FR 10 =)

'Upgrade' is understatement of the year. More like a quantum leap. The battery life alone already worth the price. What was I thinking when I bought the FR10...penny wise, pound foolish....

'Upgrade' is understatement of the year. More like a quantum leap. The battery life alone already worth the price. What was I thinking when I bought the FR10...penny wise, pound foolish....

I know what you mean by a quantum leap. Even when i bought my Garmin FR 220 from my FR 10,the differences are really obvious.

But I am still thankful for my first GPS running watch FR10 which is really easy to use within minutes.

Depend on your need...u might say fr10 and the fr15 is "cheap" n budget, but for an uncle like me, their font size is blessing for me with failing eye sight or cataract?

or is there anyway to increase font size for fr220? Dun want to stop run wherever want to check something

Depend on your need...u might say fr10 and the fr15 is "cheap" n budget, but for an uncle like me, their font size is blessing for me with failing eye sight or cataract?

or is there anyway to increase font size for fr220? Dun want to stop run wherever want to check something

You could try choosing only one or two data fields per page so that the font can be bigger.

I would also like to ask, anyone changed to a Forerunner 620 from 610? How's the battery life like in comparison?

You could try choosing only one or two data fields per page so that the font can be bigger.

I would also like to ask, anyone changed to a Forerunner 620 from 610? How's the battery life like in comparison?

How to do it?

Frankly I felt unless u gonna branch out to tri events, fr220 is good enough...the advanced features of fr620 is more for science of running haha

How to do it?

That is quite simple. You can leave the second or third data field "blank" when you customise the fields to be displayed on your Garmin Forerunner 220. I have tested it out and it reminds me of my Garmin FR10 interface.

To answer your question on battery life, I have friends who have upgraded from 610 to 620. Battery life is 2 hours more for 620 (Garmin 610 is 8 hours battery life with GPS on while 620 is 10 hours GPS battery life)

How about wifi and Screen tap? I think 220 dun have..

220 is a button operated GPS watch, so there is no screen tap to begin with. Uploading of running activities can be done bluetooth with smart phones and by USB cable.

ok.... done... bought 220..... from the sundown expo.....

tried on sunday during my Real Run race.... quite easy to navigate around and easy to upload the chart in my computer too... and pairing with my mobile phone is a breeze too.... overall quite satisfied with the purchase...

tried on sunday during my Real Run race.... quite easy to navigate around and easy to upload the chart in my computer too... and pairing with my mobile phone is a breeze too.... overall quite satisfied with the purchase...

That is good to hear that and congrats to your purchase of 220.

For those who use a forerunner 220, be sure to update your GPS watch as the latest software version 2.7 update is available through Garmin Express software.

That is good to hear that and congrats to your purchase of 220.

For those who use a forerunner 220, be sure to update your GPS watch as the latest software version 2.7 update is available through Garmin Express software.

What I like about the FR220 is the ability to change the straps. I own a FR210 and the strap broke after less than 2 years. Because the strap is moulded to the watch casing, changing the strap could cost me about $150 and requires sending it overseas (think was Taiwan). Tried to glue it back without any success. In the end had to cut off the other end of the strap and just carry the watch body in my shorts during my runs.