Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trailblazer

New Release of Garmin GPS Running Watch: Forerunner 220 & 620

There are two new Garmin GPS running watches which are just released, and are considered the upgraded versoin of Garmin 210 and 610.The main noticeable upgrades will be a colour display for these two new models, reduced weight of the watch and more training features added.

Here is the official Garmin weblink for:

Forerunner 220: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-220/prod129397.html

Forerunner 620: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-620/prod122785.html

DC Rainmaker had the chance to try out the beta versions of these two GPS watches and his review can be found at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmins-running-watches.html

Fall 2013? When is that specifically?

Does sg market get the watch same time or have to wait few months?

Fall 2013? When is that specifically?

Does sg market get the watch same time or have to wait few months?

No idea, when the term fall is used in the American context, it usually means by autumn period. If we are interested in this GPS watch, we can check with the official Singapore Garmin distributor, but the watch won't be priced that cheap also since they are new models.

nice... was planning to buy the Forerunner 210. now can wait for this to buy :)

I will suggest that also for you. From the review and the specs of 220 and 620, this is definitely an upgrade with a lighter watch, more features and stylish design. Definitely worth the wait and lucky i only bought Forerunner 10 which is the budget GPS watch. I can consider an upgrade also if needed haha :D

But depend on budget too, now fr210 can get for around 240 dollars. If remember correctly, it sold for around 350 when first launched. Now added so many features, fr220 scared might be 400 plus...

Of course, if no budget issue...

Or get from Amazon or some us website.. But no local warranty

I don't think FR220 will be priced as high as FR 910XT which is Garmin's highest end multi-sports watch currently costing around USD 400 (about SGD 500) for just the watch alone.

I am not surprised if FR 220 will be about SGD 400 plus and FR 620 should be even more costly due to the advanced features it possessed.

50m deep waterproofing!!!! :)

also seem to have sort out the 'rusting' issues with the 610

It is the same waterproofing used on their lowest end Garmin GPS forerunner 10 and on its multi-sport 910XT. That means no issue wearing the watch even for swimming sessions :)

610 isn't really that "waterproofed" to begin with.

nope... this is the 50m deep waterproofing.. ala your cheap casio watch.

your 910xt is water resistance to 50m.. ala your ipx7

the 610 issue is the back will 'erode' after all the sweat goes into it

the one feature i think that is nice.. is the wifi function. you can do your run... go to any wifi enable place and update your run. then u can see it immediately ( i think) on your smartphone/laptop/tablet.

not sure how it will deal with passwords and webpage sign on... but will see more..

i do not quite understand the satellite pre-loading...

It is the same waterproofing used on their lowest end Garmin GPS forerunner 10 and on its multi-sport 910XT. That means no issue wearing the watch even for swimming sessions :)

Just to clarify before we get confused, 910xt is also deep waterproofing up to 50 metres.

If not,you cannot use this watch for open sea & pool swimming and to record swimming related data.

Both the current 210 and 610 are then waterproofed to IPX7, the lowest waterproofing provided up to 1 metre of water immersion. They are definitely not for use in water and refer to this for the detail at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

My guess is that the satellite pre-loading helps to speed up in retrieving GPS signals in the GPS running watch.

the one feature i think that is nice.. is the wifi function. you can do your run... go to any wifi enable place and update your run. then u can see it immediately ( i think) on your smartphone/laptop/tablet.

not sure how it will deal with passwords and webpage sign on... but will see more..

the wifi feature sounds great indeed! i'll finally be able to upload my runs!

but too bad i've just bought my garmin just 2mths bk. won't be changing any time soon!

but too bad i've just bought my garmin just 2mths bk. won't be changing any time soon

I bought my Garmin a few months ago and may be tempted to get a new one,haha.

With this news, people looking to get a GPS running watch will take a wait & see approach to have more information before buying :)

but too bad i've just bought my garmin just 2mths bk. won't be changing any time soon

With this news, people looking to get a GPS running watch will take a wait & see approach to have more information before buying :)

yours is an FR10, so its an easier decision to upgrade :)

yours is an FR10, so its an easier decision to upgrade :)

The only headache will be having a spare GPS running watch, haha.

So, it is better to wait and see for more info before someone in this forum takes the plunge to buy this GPS watch :)

I saw the forerunner 620/220 youtube..

quite tempting for me.. haha

wait for more users review and see by the time it arrive to SG.. =P

If only they have options to trade in. Haha.

Good idea!Quote a very theoretical example, from Forerunner 210 to 220 and 610 to 620 :lol:

Dun have from 205 to 210 in the past, so doubt locally will have

But in us, got heard of rebate promo bedore

seemed like SG won't be having it so soon

My guess is that most possibly latest by end of this year.

I notice that R-One trading at Sim Lim Square has started to list the details for both Forerunner 220 and 620.

Website links are at http://r-onetrading.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=1187&category_id=125&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1#Garmin%20Forerunner%20220 (220) & http://r-onetrading.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=1186&category_id=125&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1#Garmin%20Forerunner%20620 (620)

they told me 'no eta' -_-"

US selling in mid nov.

Personally,I am very tempted to get 620 from overseas from Clever Training (http://www.clevertraining.com/p-9029-garmin-forerunner-620.aspx) but i realise that local warranty is not provided.

I saw a previous sgrunner forum post (http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19385#entry473979) saying that these 2 models may come to Singapore in December 2013 (unconfirmed yet,don't take my words for it until announced by Garmin Singapore).

local warranty also no much use actually.. but to get from overseas also no savings compared to local buys, esp after e shipping + GST