Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Nike We Run Singapore 2013 - 03 November

294 posts in this topic

I am not against high fee as long as they are across the board. But to price against age group is not acceptable.

By the way, I have lodged a complaint with Ministry of Community Development for their attention.

Thinking about what you post makes a lot of sense.

Why discriminate against age? What's the justification?

We must stand up against discrimination in all its form and speak up as one.

As a saying goes;-

First they came for the old bird runners, and I did not speak out— because I was not an old bird runner;
Then they came for the runners with pockets not deep-deep, and I did not speak out— because my pocket can still afford
Then they came for the runners who willing to run for race in the rain but they cancel race anyhow, and I did not speak out - because I don't care as $50 sign-up fee is loose change to me.
Then they came for me..... but there is no one left to speak for me.

Thanks swmt for bringing it to the attention of the relevant authorities. A gutsy action by 1 individual is sometimes all it takes.

Thank you.

Maybe they think 'older' runners need more insurance or need to drink more isotonic.

I am not against high fee as long as they are across the board. But to price against age group is not acceptable.

By the way, I have lodged a complaint with Ministry of Community Development for their attention.

$50 is exorbitant for a 10km race, but the 10km category at SCMS is also very expensive at $58. Just like most of you guys, my main gripe is against Nike's discrimination against older runners. Boycott!!!!

I'm under 25 but I don't find anything much special about this event. So... not joining.

I think it's a good thing you did. I don't see any other reason why they should charge the latter age group higher.

I don't have high hopes MCYS can do much. It's free market. They will say we can choose not to participate. And that's what I will do.

^^Probably because the lower price is intended for students, hence the lower price.

Anyway, it's $50 for 25 and above. For me it's okay. Considering that you'll be getting 2 shirts with $50. It's not so bad.

2 shirts was last year. This time may not be the same. I didn't even did last year but they still sent me the "priority" sms. They won't bother to plan a proper race route either. If they don't care then i'm not going to either. A $50 breakfast that day would be better spent.

Same old question: where is Koh papa!

Maybe he committed a crime and is locked up. Lately a lot of them caught snapping with camera phone.

Received email with priority registration for last year runners.

I'd registered. The registration process is a breeze.

Received email with priority registration for last year runners.

I'd registered. The registration process is a breeze.

How did you register??? Need to create Nike account ??

2 shirts???

Runners tee and finisher's tee. Last year it was like that, Nike She Runs, also the same thing... 2 shirts + water bottle then a discount voucher if I remember correctly.

OK let me share my thoughts. Keep in mind that I am european and recently moved to Sg, and I am 28 yo.

I am happily impressed in Sg by the amount of runners I see everyday on the streets (and the massive participation in races) but in my country and the rest of the world is not like that.

So, if they have same policy of different pricing in all Nike We Run races around the world, perhaps we can see it as a motivation for young people to go out and run, instead as a penalty to older ones.

Of course you can say, "then make it cheap for everybody", which is true, but still for younger rebel minds running cheaper than the older guys might feel better.

In any case, I am not going to this race. And as I was very disappointed with Adidas too, I think in the future I will boycott all the big-brand ones. Besides it is like we are doing advertisement for them, and we pay them on top.... and prices damn high.

Nike explained on their Facebook that the price difference is "a small youth concession based on feedback from younger runners". Anyone buying into that?

If indeed they respond effectively to feedback, then hear our crying for foul on older runners.

There is a letter published in todays Straits Times Forum (Online) on 'Higher fees penalise older runners' to complain about the $10 difference for below and above 25.

Nike explained on their Facebook that the price difference is "a small youth concession based on feedback from younger runners". Anyone buying into that?

If indeed they respond effectively to feedback, then hear our crying for foul on older runners.

Not buying that. If they say special concession for student with student pass, that I'll understand. But 25 yrs old, they already earning their keep.

There is a letter published in todays Straits Times Forum (Online) on 'Higher fees penalise older runners' to complain about the $10 difference for below and above 25.

V good. I don't have much sympathy for this kind of marketing strategy.

Not buying that. If they say special concession for student with student pass, that I'll understand. But 25 yrs old, they already earning their keep.

Hi... For sg, ns + poly or uni is at least 23 or 24 for guys, 25 cut off ok

Nike explained on their Facebook that the price difference is "a small youth concession based on feedback from younger runners". Anyone buying into that?U

Hmmm. Then why don't they make it cheaper and everybody pay the same price? All benefit. Except Nike of course.

Where's the straits times article,? Can share over here?

Headline: Higher fees penalise older runners

Publication: STI^STI

Date: Monday, 30 September 2013

© Singapore Press Holdings Limited

I AM in my late 50s and a regular participant in almost all running events in Singapore to keep myself fit.

Nike We Run SG 2013, to be held in November, charges $40 for runners below 25 years old and $50 for those above that age.

This is unfair, as other races charge higher fees based on the distance run rather than age.

Our Singapore Pledge constantly reminds us to commit ourselves as one, regardless of race, language or religion; there is no mention of age. Why does Nike have different charges for different age groups?

Steven Wong

Nike explained on their Facebook that the price difference is "a small youth concession based on feedback from younger runners". Anyone buying into that?U

Hmmm. Then why don't they make it cheaper and everybody pay the same price? All benefit. Except Nike of course.
Let it be... Btw, I not 20 something anymore, but 40 something but still 21 always lol lol lol...

Clearly they r targeting this for the 20 something... Like the color run for the fun loving psle, electric run for the house, party animals who love to run too, illumi run for the lights lover who love to run... N their fees even higher n distance shorter... Now why nobody complain about the latter 3?