Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon 2014

Asking a stupid question. I am doing the HM, there is an earlier HM Challenge which starts at 5.30am. I assume this is for the elite runners. Anyone actually who are non under the elite runners actually started running during that timing, or wait till their "correct" start time. Am trying to make sure I reach the start point correctly as the time difference is 2.5hr difference.

Asking a stupid question. I am doing the HM, there is an earlier HM Challenge which starts at 5.30am. I assume this is for the elite runners. Anyone actually who are non under the elite runners actually started running during that timing, or wait till their "correct" start time. Am trying to make sure I reach the start point correctly as the time difference is 2.5hr difference.

There will be volunteers standing at the 'entrance' of the start point to check for the correct bib.

Those who are not with the right bib will not be allowed to enter.

There are four race categories with different start time each. Check you confirmation slip for which race category you belong to. E.g. if you are in Half Marathon Run 1 then your start time is 08:00

For those who is going for this run,

good luck & enjoy the moment on the 16th, start your carb loading.

hope 2105 I have chance to go.

Jia you.

you mean 2015?

2105 very far away leh! I'm quite sure I won't be around by then!

dun make me paiseh leh

face red liao la haha.

Noted with thanks.

There are four race categories with different start time each. Check you confirmation slip for which race category you belong to. E.g. if you are in Half Marathon Run 1 then your start time is 08:00

Yes...conquered the Marathon...the distance, the slopes, the cold, etc. The final stretch thru the causeway bay streets was really poignant with all the mostly hk supporters...

For those interested in elm medals only, dun think this one is...

Go for the challenge

Did the half marathon, mine was the 2nd batch to start (expected timing 2:20 to 2:40) at 8.45am. Temperature was around 13 degrees Celsius; apparently a cold wind (for lack of better description) blowing from (I think) China was causing the temperatures to dip for the weekend. The temperature did pick up in the following days after the marathon, although the day I left Hong Kong temperature dipped to 9 degrees Celcius!

I wore double layers of long sleeves and long tights to run, and ended up perspiring. Saw people running sleeveless and wearing shorts, even saw 1 dressed as a spartan who's topless. So depends on your cold tolerance. Personally I find the coldest part is while running on the expressway (about 4km onwards to about 13km reaching the cross-harbour tunnel) as that's where you can feel the winds blowing at full force.

Next year' edition should see warmer weather. Following the trend of having the marathon 1-2 weeks after Chinese New Year, this will place the date somewhere early March for next year (CNY falls on 19 Feb for 2015).

Guess this will be known by now, but to say again that finisher medals are only for full marathon finishers. There's no finisher medal for half marathon.

so the overall ambience good?? how about the cold?? i tihnk its jus end of winter in hk now right....

Yes, when coming back on Mon, the temp was forecast 16-21. But during the trip, Fri n sat was really cold around 8-12...luckily for Marathon Sunday, it was 12-15. Cold tolerance quite personal, vary from runner to runner

ambience was there, esp at the overhead bridges n ending 1 -2km. The volunteers were really supportI've too, n each water pt was stretch up to a few hundred metres at some stretch! Really like the dove chocolate at one of this water pt!

Weather was really good. I had the same outfit as I would run in SG. Indeed was pretty cold before the flag off when the wind blow. But after that, at say 5km mark, I was perspiring. Btw.. This slow oldie flag off time was 7.10am. One thing I observed what those old bird did was to wear a poncho. This will keep you slightly warm at start point. When you really got "heated up" during mid of run, you can just rip it off. :crazysmile:

Water points as usual was superb. :thumbsu: I like their sports water. However, didn't manage to keep a packet with SCHKM 2014 logo on it. The one in the after race goodie pack was without logo. The Dove chocolate was really nice. :P

I understood that Kyoto and Tokyo are having lower temperature than Hong Kong. :coldb: Hence for those first time running in cooler countries as compared to SG, one suggestion is that either you go there early to climatise. Alternatively, do Hong Kong Marathon first then decide if you can take the cold before joining Kyoto or Toyko in the following year.

Not sure if I will be going back in 2015. Considering Taipei or Kyoto. Any advice on these 2 locations? :D

oh..... i have ran in colder temp before but its about 18deg.... which i already perspire at the 2km mark.... sooo... from what i read, seems that a poncho will do wonders for colder areas without the need to even wear long sleeve when the race starts... for this i think i still need to experience it on my own as this is really subjective...

oh..... i have ran in colder temp before but its about 18deg.... which i already perspire at the 2km mark.... sooo... from what i read, seems that a poncho will do wonders for colder areas without the need to even wear long sleeve when the race starts... for this i think i still need to experience it on my own as this is really subjective...

use an emergency blanket/Mylar blanket/space blanket - it's better than a poncho since it deflects the heat from your body back to you.

This is my best Marathon run for the 9 yrs. Like last year, i wear dryfit singlet inside and dryfit t-shirt outside. Beanie is a must for me as my ears can't take the low temp. I starts on the last wave at 7:10am. Luckily, i was 100m behind the starting line. Once the race started, i was being overtake all the way as i tries to maintain my pace around 7:15. The weather is bearable once i started running until i reachs Tsing Mah Bridge. It was chilly and freaking cold.

This year, the finishing point is more organise. Fruit, chocolate, water and isotonic drink are pack into a bag rather than giving it individually to participants.

I was actually rather disappointed with the SCM HM run. Weather was colder than previous year. I went with a singlet, a wind breaker and long compression tights for the run. The slopes was "torture" for me, the bridge and the wind...wah...damn freaking cold. I made a mistake of wearing a "pink" wind breaker and for the first 2km, I kept having "volunteer" officials shouting at me (or to everyone) to show their bib. Ended up, having to tie my wind breaker on my waist breaking my run at the initial 2km mark and ran with a singlet instead.

Plently of water points but in terms of the crowd, disappointing (I guess cos I compared it with Tokyo which was unbelievable). However, this year, there weren't many people that stopped to take photographs. Maybe I guess I was lucky that during the whole 21km, there wasn't that much congestion except when the initial merge with the FM. Could tell that the FM runners weren't overjoyed when a huge group of HM were at their U-turn point and merge and over took most of the pathways. But then again, the road is just that size...what to do? At the last few km, I gave in and walked quite abit. Just got so tired with the slopes. :phew: Teeth was chattering away after the run. :coldb:

Baggage was a pain as I didn't realise it was away from the FM baggage and much further away. After collecting, I was just too tired to walk back to the FM baggage to find other pals and end up going back to hotel for a nice warm bath.

So will I try to get a slot for SCM HK next yr, I doubt it. However, I might still just buy and airticket over (if there is a discount) and go over and sign up (if available).

oh... sounds good... how about the ambience from the crowd?? given the lower temp and haze, more supporters will prefer to stay at home??

The crowd was only lively near to the end point. Probably the last 2km or so. Other than that, I think it's just the support from the volunteers at the water station.

I did Seoul Marathon last year, and I think the support from the crowd was much better than SCHKM. There are people setting up tables to provide drinks and food at almost along the route.

If there is a chance, skip SCHKM and opt for Seoul marathon.

Just my 2 cents point of view.