Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

TransLantau - Hong Kong 2014

hope you spend some time climbing stairs and going up/down bukit timah hill...

it is going to help you during the race...

also consider trekking pole(s) but do train with it/them if you decide to use

and say hi to reubencht - he is an inspirational guy!

it will be an unforgettable journey...

Hi Danx, I'm doing the 50km too, great to know someone in this, my 1st time, my 1st 50km.

Clocking about 90km per week, bulk of it is Sat 2-3hours run and Sun 3-4hours run.

How much hydration does your vest carry ?

Hi Max, I'm doing the 50km. hows your training so far?

For hydration vest, you could also consider runningwarehouse.

Sometimes even with shipping it could cost less.

Just personal preference to pour from bottle, also able to add tablets to the bottles which will be easier to clean than bladder, which the bladder i can use it purley for water only.

Never tried it, but i reckon it should be fine.

any reason you prefer the bottles in front type? never tried it, would it bounce?

hope you spend some time climbing stairs and going up/down bukit timah hill...

it is going to help you during the race...

also consider trekking pole(s) but do train with it/them if you decide to use

and say hi to reubencht - he is an inspirational guy!

it will be an unforgettable journey...

Hi Danx, I'm doing the 50km too, great to know someone in this, my 1st time, my 1st 50km.

Clocking about 90km per week, bulk of it is Sat 2-3hours run and Sun 3-4hours run.

How much hydration does your vest carry ?

Hi Max, I'm doing the 50km. hows your training so far?

For hydration vest, you could also consider runningwarehouse.

Sometimes even with shipping it could cost less.

Just personal preference to pour from bottle, also able to add tablets to the bottles which will be easier to clean than bladder, which the bladder i can use it purley for water only.

Never tried it, but i reckon it should be fine.

any reason you prefer the bottles in front type? never tried it, would it bounce?

Thank you for your kind words.

I won't be racing this race. But I will be there.

Reuben. The 100km registration is still on, why not register yourself and run together with runners? More fun!

If you are there not running look not so good! Look like kacau the runners....the runners will feel stressful.... Haha..... Lol. :P

I ran the inaugural 51km Lantau 2 years ago and then the inaugural 100km Lantau last year.

Unlike HK100, I don't think I need to have the unbroken streak in this series. I have to learn to let go when the memory is still sweet with this race.

(after all, I ran another 168km, 6 days after last year's Lantau100 .... so, just let me keep this memory for this race)

Anyway, I will be there ... for sure ... and given my slow timing from last year's race, how can i be stressful to other runners. I'm not an super-duper runner ... any runner with a bit of training will make me eat dust and kick my ass.

Have fun in the race ... enjoy Lantau Peak ... and if you time it to reach the summit at sun rise (or sun set), i'm sure it will be one view you will never forget.

when will you guys be arriving in hongkong ? i am planning to arrive on the 14th March

Is the race starting on Friday night? (I'm not sure as I'm not racing this year).

If so, hope you don't arrive in HK too late in the day. Though there is no time difference and jet lag to adjust to, I'm sure there will be lots of logistic (like hotel check-in and pack collection) that will tire you out. And unless you are staying at MuiWo and going there straight from airport, the extra commute from airport to Kowloon (or HK Island) will make things harder on your body.

Reubencht - Yet to book accommodation yet, only booked the flights reaching on the 14th March Friday Morning.

It is mentioned in the website able to collect the race pack on Friday night or Saturday morning (event day) for foreigners.

So, i decided to arrive early morning on the Friday morning check in and collect race pack.

50km starts 9am on Saturday, most probably i will choose to stay at Mui Wo for convenience.

Are the routes clearly marked? I'm a lost sheep when comes to map.

Reubencht - Yet to book accommodation yet, only booked the flights reaching on the 14th March Friday Morning.

It is mentioned in the website able to collect the race pack on Friday night or Saturday morning (event day) for foreigners.

So, i decided to arrive early morning on the Friday morning check in and collect race pack.

50km starts 9am on Saturday, most probably i will choose to stay at Mui Wo for convenience.

Are the routes clearly marked? I'm a lost sheep when comes to map.

Maybe I have mistaken earlier ... and only the 100km is starting at night. For 50km, then I think it's fine. Not sure if you are able to get booking now for MuiWo if you have not booked earlier.

Is the route clearly marked? If they are doing what they did last year, then you should be ok. But even with the clearest marked route, the onus is still with the runners NOT to run with eyes closed and be mindful especially if there is an obvious junction. You don't need a map to navigate.

Went to look for hydration vest for this event. Prefers bottles in front, bladder be around 2L, still finding.

Ask yourself ... what do you have now? If hydration bag now, would you want to invest in one that holds the bottles in front?

Are you going for (finishing) time? Do you have a support crew at the aid stations?

So if you only have hydration bag and not sure if you want to invest more and not going for time and do not have a support crew, then go ahead and stick to your current hydration bag.

If you want to invest more to buy another bag that holds the bottles in front, by all mean do so. They won't bounce.

think i will invest in a good pair of trail shoes instead, thanks for the advice...

MacRitchie will be like the easy parts of Lantau. to train - look for the nearest tallest HDB block and go up and down stairs repeatedly. practice running DOWN the stairs as well, to get your legs used to the impact of going downhill (it can actually be worse than going uphill).

another good place to train for the hills would be to do loops at Bukit Timah Hill: from the Dairy Farm Carpark B --> Renga Path up to Bukit Timah Hill Summit --> Seraya Path back down to Dairy Farm Carpark B, and repeat... this is the closest simulation to HK hills that you'll find in Singapore.

if you're doing this for the first time, remember to take it easy and build up GRADUALLY (whether number of stairs or number of loops), so as not to get injured. good luck on your training!

Anybody can share how to train for this race in Singapore? climbing stairs? MacRitchie does not seem to resemble the difficulties of Lantau...

Thanks Davied, this is really helpful...

Just started a few sessions exploring climbing stairs, found my heart rate shot up very quickly. How do you guys train on stairs climbing? I guess i need to start easy to get used to it first, but in the end, is it an exercise similar to tempo run or interval training for it to be effective?... or should it be a LSD type? i can not imagine doing LSD on stairs... :startle:.

I'm gonna suffer with little or no hill or stair training sessions.

Currently just piling up the mileage.

Hill or Stairs moves our body vertically, against the gravity.

It's gonna be very different from interval training which, you are still moving horizontally.

Dalston - How's your weekly sessions like?

I plan to do next year's race (2015), so no much pressure on stairs and BTH yet. My training still focuses on road race for now. It consists of a tempo, an interval, a LSD and junk miles to make up weekly milage to about 60km. May replace the tempo or interval session with stair climbing in future.

great to see all the discussions here, invaluable for people in Singapore to prepare for overseas trail runs.

there is still time to do some hill and stairs climbing...

i have a couple of friends who completed lantau with little or no training

but for the rest of us, i think it is essential to do climbs (1-2 times a week), more so than mileage training

you will need sufficiently strong legs to reach CP4 and the end point within the cut-off time...

good luck!

It's gonna be very different from interval training which, you are still moving horizontally.

hi Dalston

hills/stairs training is a high intensity activity, so if you're using Heart Rate-based training, it will be more similar to Tempo & Intervals than LSD (unless you're Killian Jornet!). expect your HR to shoot up during hills/stairs training.

there are many variations and ways to do hills/stairs training... here are a few that i've used:

1) i do this over longer distances/duration - WALK/HIKE uphill or upstairs. my HR will usually be somewhere between steady/aerobic run HR to tempo run HR, depending on how steep the ascent is. then either walk or jog back downhill, depending on how much or how fast your HR recovers after the climb. i usually do this as part of a medium distance run or LSD, at MacRitchie or Bukit Timah trails.

2) for a shorter, more intense workout - RUN uphill or upstairs. HR will reach tempo run or intervals workout HR. walk downhill to recover. i usually repeat this over a short steep hill.

there are many other variations, which you can find on Runners World or other running websites...

ENJOY! :)

but for the rest of us, i think it is essential to do climbs (1-2 times a week), more so than mileage training

you will need sufficiently strong legs to reach CP4 and the end point within the cut-off time...

good luck!

@Gentle ... you have some very talented friends.

hi Dalston

hills/stairs training is a high intensity activity, so if you're using Heart Rate-based training, it will be more similar to Tempo & Intervals than LSD (unless you're Killian Jornet!). expect your HR to shoot up during hills/stairs training.

there are many variations and ways to do hills/stairs training... here are a few that i've used:

1) i do this over longer distances/duration - WALK/HIKE uphill or upstairs. my HR will usually be somewhere between steady/aerobic run HR to tempo run HR, depending on how steep the ascent is. then either walk or jog back downhill, depending on how much or how fast your HR recovers after the climb. i usually do this as part of a medium distance run or LSD, at MacRitchie or Bukit Timah trails.

2) for a shorter, more intense workout - RUN uphill or upstairs. HR will reach tempo run or intervals workout HR. walk downhill to recover. i usually repeat this over a short steep hill.

there are many other variations, which you can find on Runners World or other running websites...

Thanks for the tips ... I have learnt so much from your posting. Thank you!

hi Dalston

Great! will start to include more MacRitchie in my trainings. I am overweight and knees are not in the best conditions, so will go easy with stairs first, one year should be long enough to build the necessary strength to conquer 50km. And yes, surely i will try to "enjoy" the sessions, thanks for the advices!

Spent a bit of time at TBH from dairy farm road today, that was climbing not running! The steps towards the end of the submit is so tall, have to use hands a couple of times and my knees did not react well. Also need to be very careful on the descend to avoid tripping the edge. Surprisingly many old folks were exercising there, they have strong legs! There is also a pavement leading to the submit, appears steep but did not try. Will go there the coming Sunday again to explore a bit more, maybe do more loops.

After reading another time, realise you said you had a couple of friends did little or no training !

Little = How little ?

No training - No matter what, this is still a 50km event, no training do you mean no hills / stairs training dedicated for this event ?

Able to find out what's their timing ?

good luck!

Spent a bit of time at TBH from dairy farm road today, that was climbing not running! The steps towards the end of the submit is so tall, have to use hands a couple of times and my knees did not react well. Also need to be very careful on the descend to avoid tripping the edge. Surprisingly many old folks were exercising there, they have strong legs! There is also a pavement leading to the submit, appears steep but did not try. Will go there the coming Sunday again to explore a bit more, maybe do more loops.

that's a good start!

after a few visits you should get the hang of it (although it will still be tough) then you can do multiple sets going up and down (i did between 3-5 when i trained for lantau last year)

like reubencht said last year - the difficulty of lantau is at least 10x up and down BTH (via steps, not main road) i kind of agree, but think it is closer to 20x based on the elevation (2700m of lantau50 vs 160m of BTH)

yah, they told me they "didn't train" for the event

a guy that does 3:30 marathons

a lady, who bikes and runs regularly

both of them finished hours before the cut-off

i don't think you should learn from them ;)

After reading another time, realise you said you had a couple of friends did little or no training !

Little = How little ?

No training - No matter what, this is still a 50km event, no training do you mean no hills / stairs training dedicated for this event ?

Able to find out what's their timing ?

good luck!

Ran from MacRitchie to BTH this morning, and did three loops at the hill, up from Seraya loop and down from Dairy Farm loop.

It was about 2.2km per loop with 130m elevation gain, and took me about 35min on average. Most of the time was fast walking instead of running.

I found the stairs very annoying and they are endless, felt like doing HDB stailr climbing at times. I think I can just train at HDB blocks instead of going to BTH.

Lantau's condition really like that? with many stairs, or just steep hills?. I find run uphill at Belukar track more insteresting than the BTH climbing.

post-3715-0-54869700-1391922466_thumb.jp

=======

Read the 2013 post again, I think I need to go back to BTH for more loops, with more climbs from Dairy Farm side

I was studying the 100km Profile from the Translantau 2014 website, & it seemed that the CP's designation is not in sync with the map CP's. CP1(Km12) in the Profile is likely to be CP2 of the map, and so do the rest of the CP's to be 1 numeral higher in the Profile such that CP9 (Km 95) designated in the Profile is actually CP10. I have post in the Translantau 2014 Facebook to see if they can check again. Can anyone also check if this is the case?

Are most of you picking up the bibs on the day of the race?

Is it a mad rush or a breeze?

I'll be staying at Central and taking the ferry across in the morning. Hope there will be enough time.