Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

TransLantau - Hong Kong 2014

sounds like a good run to go. will train hard for next year's 50km.

both fitness and weight are not up to the standard yet.

I have signed up for the Explorer 15. Based on the participant list released by the organiser, it seem that there is a sizable number of S'poreans taking part in all the categories.

I have signed up for the Explorer 15. Based on the participant list released by the organiser, it seem that there is a sizable number of S'poreans taking part in all the categories.

I have yet to sign up, current fitness a bit uncertain, but i do wish to go for the 50km.

Once decided perhaps can check with you on how you plan your logistics?

Traveling with wifey so I will be staying in Hong Kong island as it is closer to shopping and food. There seem to be a direct ferry to Mui Wo from Central and since the race will start at 10am, I don't think its necessary to stay near the start/end point.

I see...50km starts at 9am. I planning to do my shopping & eating in Shenzhen after the event instead. There is a route given by the organizer, not sure if it is easy to get lost ? Totally clueless how this will turn out, only rely on homework done online.

Alright I'm in ! But unable to register for TMBT as it is tied with paypal and paypal permanently blocked my account ~ for god knows whatever reason.

An email to TMBT also prove useless, as this is their perogrative to use paypal as payment mode. :(

Anybody can share how to train for this race in Singapore? climbing stairs? MacRitchie does not seem to resemble the difficulties of Lantau...

MacRitchie will be like the easy parts of Lantau. to train - look for the nearest tallest HDB block and go up and down stairs repeatedly. practice running DOWN the stairs as well, to get your legs used to the impact of going downhill (it can actually be worse than going uphill).

another good place to train for the hills would be to do loops at Bukit Timah Hill: from the Dairy Farm Carpark B --> Renga Path up to Bukit Timah Hill Summit --> Seraya Path back down to Dairy Farm Carpark B, and repeat... this is the closest simulation to HK hills that you'll find in Singapore.

if you're doing this for the first time, remember to take it easy and build up GRADUALLY (whether number of stairs or number of loops), so as not to get injured. good luck on your training!

Anybody can share how to train for this race in Singapore? climbing stairs? MacRitchie does not seem to resemble the difficulties of Lantau...

MacRitchie will be like the easy parts of Lantau. to train - look for the nearest tallest HDB block and go up and down stairs repeatedly. practice running DOWN the stairs as well, to get your legs used to the impact of going downhill (it can actually be worse than going uphill).

another good place to train for the hills would be to do loops at Bukit Timah Hill: from the Dairy Farm Carpark B --> Renga Path up to Bukit Timah Hill Summit --> Seraya Path back down to Dairy Farm Carpark B, and repeat... this is the closest simulation to HK hills that you'll find in Singapore.

if you're doing this for the first time, remember to take it easy and build up GRADUALLY (whether number of stairs or number of loops), so as not to get injured. good luck on your training!

Thanks Davied, this is really helpful...

Thanks Davied, i will goggle for the route !

Hi Daveid, (or any one who has participated in the event before..)

I know this is up to the individual, but how much water did you carry?

Was it sufficient, and is the refill point reliable?

Danx u taking part in which category? This is my first trip down as well, pretty nervous.

Besides trying to find something similar (in terrain) to train in Singapore, do remember to spend enough time in training too. That means ... train to make sure your legs know how it will feel by running/walking for 24 hours and with sleep deprivation too.

Good luck ... if you have not been hiking or running trails in HK, then it will be quite an experience ... one that you won't forget or regret.

This is a tricky question; simply because no one, but you, know how much water you need. The recommendation for most races will be 1.5L; between 10~12km. Given the harder terrain, but with a more forgiving weather, this amount may be ok.

But seriously, you have to gauge yourself with the training you are doing there in Singapore.

i agree with rebencht - amount of hydration needed is a very personal thing. gauge for yourself during your training, and compare it to the distance between checkpoints at TransLantau. take note: because of the terrain, sometimes it can take hours to get from one checkpoint to the next (due to steep climb, etc) even though the map shows only ~10+km.

for me personally, i prefer to be conservative, and always have 1.5L on me, refilling at checkpoints along the way.

enjoy the race and trails of HK -- really beautiful! :)

Went to look for hydration vest for this event. Prefers bottles in front, bladder be around 2L, still finding.

i agree with rebencht - amount of hydration needed is a very personal thing. gauge for yourself during your training, and compare it to the distance between checkpoints at TransLantau. take note: because of the terrain, sometimes it can take hours to get from one checkpoint to the next (due to steep climb, etc) even though the map shows only ~10+km.

for me personally, i prefer to be conservative, and always have 1.5L on me, refilling at checkpoints along the way.

enjoy the race and trails of HK -- really beautiful! :)

Hi Daveid and rebencht, thanks for the tip. You have a point, its not about the distance, time between cp matters too.

I think i will bring enough bottles to carry (and start off) with at least 1.5L. Then, adjust along the way!

Went to look for hydration vest for this event. Prefers bottles in front, bladder be around 2L, still finding.

Hi Max, I'm doing the 50km. hows your training so far?

For hydration vest, you could also consider runningwarehouse.

Sometimes even with shipping it could cost less.

any reason you prefer the bottles in front type? never tried it, would it bounce?

How are trails conditions like? Smooth, rocky, gravel or muddy? Basically traction.

Will road shoes work or trail shoes a must?

Thanks

It is anything but smooth :) Rocks of all sizes is the norm so you need protecton underfoot which most trail shoes will provide. There will be sections where it can also be slippery. Ground can be very uneven so watch your footing. However, take some time to enjoy the trails and views. It will take you through some parts of HK you never knew existed. Have fun :)

Hi Danx, I'm doing the 50km too, great to know someone in this, my 1st time, my 1st 50km.

Clocking about 90km per week, bulk of it is Sat 2-3hours run and Sun 3-4hours run.

How much hydration does your vest carry ?

Just personal preference to pour from bottle, also able to add tablets to the bottles which will be easier to clean than bladder, which the bladder i can use it purley for water only.

Never tried it, but i reckon it should be fine.

any reason you prefer the bottles in front type? never tried it, would it bounce?

I use the ultraspire surge - comes with about 1.8 L bladder.

But I intend to use it with a 1L platypus (collapsible bottle) on the back and 600m bottle infront to balance the load.

Hi Danx, I'm doing the 50km too, great to know someone in this, my 1st time, my 1st 50km.

Clocking about 90km per week, bulk of it is Sat 2-3hours run and Sun 3-4hours run.

How much hydration does your vest carry ?

Just personal preference to pour from bottle, also able to add tablets to the bottles which will be easier to clean than bladder, which the bladder i can use it purley for water only.

Never tried it, but i reckon it should be fine.

Ask yourself ... what do you have now? If hydration bag now, would you want to invest in one that holds the bottles in front?

Are you going for (finishing) time? Do you have a support crew at the aid stations?

So if you only have hydration bag and not sure if you want to invest more and not going for time and do not have a support crew, then go ahead and stick to your current hydration bag.

If you want to invest more to buy another bag that holds the bottles in front, by all mean do so. They won't bounce.

How are trails conditions like? Smooth, rocky, gravel or muddy? Basically traction.

Will road shoes work or trail shoes a must?

Thanks

It is anything but smooth :) Rocks of all sizes is the norm so you need protecton underfoot which most trail shoes will provide. There will be sections where it can also be slippery. Ground can be very uneven so watch your footing. However, take some time to enjoy the trails and views. It will take you through some parts of HK you never knew existed. Have fun :)

some years back, I ran the some of the trail races with SAF NB shoes and then a cheap Nike Air. These worked for me. But through the years, I know a proper trail shoes would do you good and better than a road shoe.

If the route for this year has not changed much, then I would strongly suggest one trail shoes with good traction for this year's race.

Again, I'm not asking you to buy. You could still run/hike/trek with a pair of running shoes too. After all, during the race, you may even see the local folks in their normal shoes trekking the trails as your run. So, it is do-able.

And if you are now buying a new pair for this race with the upcoming CNY discount, then make sure you buy a pair that is half size bigger, it will help as your feet will swell during those long hours and your toes will thank you for the extra space when you run downslope or down the stairs.