Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

TransLantau - Hong Kong 2014

TransLantau 15km, 50km and 100km (Previously Raidlight Lantau50 & 100)

Date: 15-16 March 2014

Start: 14th March 100km @ 23:30 PM(Cut-off 32 hours)

15th March 50km @ 10:00AM (Cut-off 12 hours)

15km @ 10:00AM (No time limit)

TransLantau is a trail running event on South Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Participants have the opportunity to tackle this challenge solo or as a team of two. The Ultra 100km (+5,800 m elevation) and the 50km (+2,600 m elevation) cover three country parks on South Lantau with 90% on trails. The event starts and ends on Silvermine beach, Mui Wo.

The Explorer 15km starts on Silvermine beach, includes a 300-m climb towards Chi Man Wan country park, before heading back to Silvermine beach via single tracks, mostly on trails.

Registration fee:

100km
: HK$1080 before November 1, HK$1280 until December 31
Team of 2: HK$2160 per team before November 1, HK$2,560 until December 31

50km: HK$500 before November 1, HK$700 until December 31, HK$800 until February 15, 2014
Team of 2: HK$1000 per team before November 1, HK$1,400 until December 31, HK$1,600 until February 15, 2014

15km: HK$280 before December 31, HK$380 until March 1, 2014

http://www.translantau.com/index.html

Registration opens 1st October 2013

so this should be less taxing compared to Vibram 100K?

Actually, this is tougher than Vibram HK100 :).

Just to add. I have done the Lantau100 and the Vibram HK100 (twice) and soon the TNF100 HK in Dec. The Lantau100 was definitely tougher and from what I hear from some HK runners, the TNF100 is also tougher (plus a shorter cut-off of 26hrs). The Vibram HK100 is the easiest of the 3 100km trail in HK :)

Would you think the 50km race will be suitable for a first timer (as in the 1st ever 50km run)?

If you have done a few long races and are comfortable on trails, the 50km would a good start. The Lantau event offers distances of 15, 50 and 100 (with different cut-off times). The Lantau50 can be done quite comfortably if you are prepared for it. Not as difficult as the Lantau100 but still require some preparation. Lots of climbing of steps as in all HK trails :) Still plenty of great sceneries and though it will be getting warmer in HK by March, it will still be quite pleasant temperature in the low to mid 20s C.

I'm considering doing the 50k next year. Just slightly worried on going alone since I'm not that familiar with the language + places to eat.

I'm considering doing the 50k next year. Just slightly worried on going alone since I'm not that familiar with the language + places to eat.

One thing in HK is that it is very easy to get around. Language will not be a problem as most will also speak English. As for food, it is one of the food haven in Asia. Well at least to most people I know. :) You can have fancy restaurants or just eating a simple bowl of noodles in a small shop. And as there are a lot of overseas expats working there and being once a British colony, there is still some western influence. Language, food and travel in HK would be the least of the problems. Even getting to the start point on Lantau Island from HK or Kowloon would be a breeze. As for accomodations, there are hostels and there are 5-stars hotels. You pick your budget and location. Even staying in a quiet surroundng near the start is also possible.

If you like trails, it's worth the trip. Go not just for the run but the food and shopping is rather good too. So going alone, is nothing to get worried about. You won't get lost or starve in HK for sure :)

for first timers, can read the Lantau 2013 thread

i did the 50km race and completed just below 13 hours (2013 cut-off time was 13hr, while 2014 will be 12hr)

if you are average runner like me, here are a few points to put things in perspective:

- 50km in Lantau is much tougher than 50km anywhere in singapore - i did the MR25 ultra (50km) in 8+hrs

- the total elevation for Lantau50 is 2700m (Bukit timah hill is 160m)

if you decide to sign up, your training should include lots of bukit timah hill climbs as well as stairs climbing...you need that more than long runs/LSD

good luck!

Thanks for the replies! Will look at it. I'm sorta concerned if i can find Muslim food there. I'm thinking of doing the 50k as a UTMB qualifier, and also a race just one month before the Sabah Adventure Challenge in April (done that this year as my first staged-race).

Thanks for the replies! Will look at it. I'm sorta concerned if i can find Muslim food there. I'm thinking of doing the 50k as a UTMB qualifier, and also a race just one month before the Sabah Adventure Challenge in April (done that this year as my first staged-race).

50k only gets u 1 point. u need 7 points in max 3 races to qualify for UTMB. better to do the 100k and get 3points in the bag.

Just to add. I have done the Lantau100 and the Vibram HK100 (twice) and soon the TNF100 HK in Dec. The Lantau100 was definitely tougher and from what I hear from some HK runners, the TNF100 is also tougher (plus a shorter cut-off of 26hrs). The Vibram HK100 is the easiest of the 3 100km trail in HK :)

Why is Lantau 100 tougher than HK 100? more stairs?

Why is Lantau 100 tougher than HK 100? more stairs?

In terms of elevation gain and cut-off times, HK100 has only 4,500m compared to Lantau100 which has 5,800m. Means more climbing. HK100 is more generous witha cut-off time of 32 hours whereas Lantau100 gives only 30 hours. In other words, more climb with less time. As for the terrain. I find the trail for the Lantau narrower being mostly single tracks as compared to HK100. For Lantau, certain sections, one has to make your way through thick foliage so it not exactly a clear cut trail.

Where do most people stay? Hong Kong island or on Lantau Island itself? Is there a hotel you would recommend?

If you want quiet and peaceful surroundings, can stay on Lantau island itself. There are various accomodations in Lantau as listed in their website. If you want shopping and all, staying on the mainland is fine as the ferries to the island are easy to take and quite regular. Journey takes 40-50 mins. You have a whole wide range of choices if you stay on the mainland or HK island.

Slight changes in the start time and cut-off time for the Lantau100.

Starts on 14th March 2330hrs (11:30PM) instead of 1:00AM on 15th and more generous with the cut-off with 32 hours instead of just 30 hours :)

No changes in the Lantau50 and Explorer15.

50k only gets u 1 point. u need 7 points in max 3 races to qualify for UTMB. better to do the 100k and get 3points in the bag.

I'm thinking of doing the 50k to get 1 point too for a start.

Anyone can advise the max 3 races 7 points, are we not able to submit any 3 races with min. 7 points within the period?

I'm thinking of doing the 50k to get 1 point too for a start.

Anyone can advise the max 3 races 7 points, are we not able to submit any 3 races with min. 7 points within the period?

you can. it just means that your remaining 2 races will need to earn you 3pts each. so, you can start with a 50k, but must make sure your remaining 2 races need to be 100k or above to secure the necessary points.

all the best!

Thanks Daveid for the reply, on the other hand, we can also do a 1point, 1point, 3points 3points = 4 races?

My idea is if i'm not ready for 3 points races, i hope to do a couple of 1 point race, but eventually, with any of the 3 it still adds up to 7 points ^_^

Thanks Daveid for the reply, on the other hand, we can also do a 1point, 1point, 3points 3points = 4 races?

My idea is if i'm not ready for 3 points races, i hope to do a couple of 1 point race, but eventually, with any of the 3 it still adds up to 7 points ^_^

There many races in and around Asia that offers points to qualify for the the UTMB, IF that is your intention. As you already know, you need 7 pts in a max of 3 races to qualify for the draw for UTMB. If your plan is to do some 1 pointer races, you will not get that 7 points in 3 races. Only way to get that 7 points IS to do a couple of 3 points races, as pointed out by daveid. However, reading your post and you yourself stating that you may not be ready for 3 points races, what makes you think you will be ready for UTMB so soon? The UTMB is 168km with a +9600m elevation gain and a cut-off of 46 hours and could be in difficult weather conditions.

I do not know your experience level so I cannot judge but my suggestion is to try out the shorter trail runs like 50km and progress from there. Build up your experience level and eventually, the 3 points races would be easy enough.

However, if you are set on going for the events at UTMB, there are the shorter distances that requires lesser points. The CCC (101km) and TDS (119km). Both have different elevaton gain and cut-off times but both only requires 2 points within 1 or 2 races :)

Great, am just starting & happen to see this so hijack this post to clear my doubts on this 7 points from 3 races criteria.