Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Run Wild, Run Free

Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2013 (Sunday 01-December)

Everyone runs for a reason. What irks me is that Mr Tam showed absolutely no remorse nor felt embarrassed about the whole thing.

What happened to moral education?

Haiz....

Mr Tam also ran for a reason - "to lay his hands on the medal and finisher tee by cheating". :P

Next year his reason will be "lay his hands on the medal and finisher tee... WITHOUT getting caught for cheating"

you will not attract any new runners or leisure runners that means reduce income from registration.

the community we are residing in is full of pride. i have a colleague whom is wearing all sorts of finisher everyday, EVERYDAY. zz

Nowadays, my finisher T is reserved for Chinese New Year, that way I dun have to buy new T-shirts to wear during CNY.

I once saw a walker in a 10km race around 2km mark wearing a FM finisher T. I was like "how he managed to finished FM when he is walking for 10km???"

Don't like that leh... I also wear my finisher tees to work. Not to show off though. Cos my work place and home so near and it is an ulu place. Wear nice also no one see. So most of time I wear lok-lok. Recently decided to take out these tees from my bursting wardrobe. Give chance lah....

Double Like!! :)

You know this whole Tam episode can actually be turned into a profitable scheme for the enterprising fellow.

For example, a patch like the following can be made and sold. And those inclined to do so can sew it to their finisher tee or something.

100Genuine_zpsbc580567.jpg All rights reserved.

Why stop at patches? You can do tee-shirt, buttons, mugs etc.. the sky the limit. All up to your imagination!

What do you guys think of the idea??

Have you started selling those patches already? Can I buy one and commission you to sew it onto my finisher tee? :D :D

One may also print out the map course from the app and paste on the back of finisher tee .. eg mapmyrun or other app you are using to prove it further that

U ran the whole course...

Great idea!! Now where's my colour printer gone again... :P

Oh yah there.

Now to download my race course map from Runkeeper... LOL.

Those who complete the race will have an option to purchase the finisher tee at a price equivalent to what the cost of the reduction of the race fee will be. eg. this yr FM is $85. Reduce the fee to $65 and let those who complete to pay $20 for the finisher tee. So net net its the same price.

This is a win win for all. Those jaded and seasoned runners who dun want another finisher tee can opt not to purchase it. Those first timer or runners who want a commemorative tee to celebrate their achievement can opt to buy one. And those who DNF or disqualified will not be allowed to purchase one.

Yes. We will have to wait a bit longer for the finisher tee but its one way of protecting the integrity of the finisher tee.

What do you guys think of the above idea??

It will never happen bcos that would mean the organizers straight away LOSE $20 !

there is no net sum here ...

the finisher tee is said to be worth eg $20 by organizers ...

but the truth is they did not pay the maker $20 for each of the tee

besides, there just isn't enough time to compile how many finisher tees of various sizes to send to the manufacturer and have them all back in one or 2 weeks

that's why registration opens early n closes way before the event

and more importantly it is this reason why SC doesn't entertain a change in shirt size once you've registered

furthermore the registration fees is always on the rise ... n the event & finisher tees can be used as excuses for rising costs amongst other things

it ain't easy taking candies off babies mouth ! lol

My opinion is that they don't have to reduce the registration fees of Full Marathon by a lot. Just cut back by $10 or $15. Then give runners an option of having to pay a premium price for T-shirts and medals if they want it.

Marathon photos are still around despite the very expensive prices they quote for taking your photos. This shows that there are still people around who want to pay for such premium products to commemorate their achievements. Waiting time shouldn't be an issue - people are willing to wait for organisers to place orders and deliver long after their event as long as they get them evenutally.

I think this is a good idea that may work out better for all parties, possibly more profits too. But I also agree that no organisers will ever consider doing it as they will always consider money making at first glance.

Yup. There are people who will pay for these finisher tees. And those who can't stand the sight of finisher T any more, they don't need to flood their cupboard with them any more. I think this is a great idea too, and I second it....

Everyone runs for a reason. What irks me is that Mr Tam showed absolutely no remorse nor felt embarrassed about the whole thing.

What happened to moral education?

Haiz....

Mr Tam also ran for a reason - "to lay his hands on the medal and finisher tee by cheating". :P

Next year his reason will be "lay his hands on the medal and finisher tee... WITHOUT getting caught for cheating"

you will not attract any new runners or leisure runners that means reduce income from registration.

the community we are residing in is full of pride. i have a colleague whom is wearing all sorts of finisher everyday, EVERYDAY. zz

Nowadays, my finisher T is reserved for Chinese New Year, that way I dun have to buy new T-shirts to wear during CNY.

I once saw a walker in a 10km race around 2km mark wearing a FM finisher T. I was like "how he managed to finished FM when he is walking for 10km???"

Don't like that leh... I also wear my finisher tees to work. Not to show off though. Cos my work place and home so near and it is an ulu place. Wear nice also no one see. So most of time I wear lok-lok. Recently decided to take out these tees from my bursting wardrobe. Give chance lah....

everyday lei. wa lao today wear scms 2013, tmr 2012, next day sundown , next day AHM

:s really no tee to wear meh. once in a while ok la.

When it comes to cheating at races, our Chef Tam here who cheated just to get his hands on finisher tees and medals is only an amateur compared to these 2 cheaters at the last Penang Bridge International Marathon. These 2 guys came up with 'the perfect' plan in switching bibs so that one can go onto podium for 21km, and the other to qualify for Boston. Their plan is so technical and elaborate, that each must start at a certain time and run at a certain pace so that both can meet at a point where 21km and 42km runners meet at the same time to switch bibs.

http://www.tristupe.com/2013/12/penang-bridge-international-marathon.html

But when there are so many photogs snapping away along the race routes these days, photos of the same runner starting and finishing in different category and different bib number altogether raised a lot of suspicion. That's when the investigation started, and the cheaters were caught. So you can cheat, but you can't hide!!!

at least those guys are smart ....

our 'friend' is so toot that he becomes the fastest local runner

self-pwned :lol:

wah i tot i seen some the best dressed SCSM runner ...

but this one takes the cake !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=618489638199312&set=np.47645869.100000072456216&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2F1455978_618489638199312_2132180067_n.jpg&size=639%2C960

wedding ... or is going to propose ?

I've got a feeling that he might probably be enjoying the sudden spotlight on him!! There's the saying, "If you can't be famous, be infamous!". Well, Tam here definitely brought the infamy of cheating to an all new level. Look at the amount of coverage he received this week from his picture 'imperfect' finish crossing the finishing line, having his name bandied around as the winner at first, the press looking for him and his picture plastered over the sports section, the Internet buzzing with his name, all the way to a filmed interview with ST and articles dedicated on how and why he cheated. Even the Kenyans winning the Marathon don't get such extended coverage LOL!!!

If he had really intended to become infamous, I think he's quite successful. Coz I googled his name, and I see his infamous act reported in not just local, but also international websites - Philippines, India, France, Sweden.....

Wow, Mr. Tam is on Runner's World, he is really very famous sia! :lol:

RW's Remy list has him in it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/the-list-friday-december-6

he sia sway us SINGAPORE !!!!

hope he gets banned from major runs !

he doesn't deserve anymore chances ... he afterall cheated before

once a cheat, always a cheat ... or will try to be when opportunity offers itself

btw, he really got the medal and T ah ?

how come not asked (or demanded) for return ....

i saw a photo posted on hwz of him with it at his doorway of his house !

How is everyone's week zero? Mine is cross training till 16th when new season of training starts again for the Sundown 2014 :D

How is everyone's week zero? Mine is cross training till 16th when new season of training starts again for the Sundown 2014 :D

Relaxed run at macritchie today. Nice weather.

p.s. think I spotted prisangel. But couldn't be sure so didn't say hello.

Haha. It was me. Which one was you?

And yup it was definitely a good, slow, fun run with plenty of pics lol. Nice and cooling too.

And yup it was definitely a good, slow, fun run with plenty of pics lol. Nice and cooling too.

Haha so it was really you. I wasn't in the group that you ran with. I was waiting for a friend who took the concept of recovery too seriously - he overslept. I walked past you at about 6.50am when you were leaning against a pillar. I was wearing a red/black army singlet.

Just doing some light runs after SCM, while I didn't do HM/FM for this run, funny that this portion of my right foot (right foot, upper side near the round bony thing) started aching since last wednesday that I just felt while wearing my running shoes before running in the treadmill. I limp from time to time but still can run a bit and can't feel much pain while running. But it's been how many days already and the pain is still there so I'm heading to the polyclinic tomorrow to get a referral for a podiatrist or a sports doctor. I hope it's nothing serious :(

P.s.

tried to google about it and it says I might have peroneal tendonitis. Still crossing my fingers it's just a minor swelling. :nurse:

Haha so it was really you. I wasn't in the group that you ran with. I was waiting for a friend who took the concept of recovery too seriously - he overslept. I walked past you at about 6.50am when you were leaning against a pillar. I was wearing a red/black army singlet.
So what time did your friend turn in the end, haha.

The AHM run singlet?

Just doing some light runs after SCM, while I didn't do HM/FM for this run, funny that this portion of my right foot (right foot, upper side near the round bony thing) started aching since last wednesday that I just felt while wearing my running shoes before running in the treadmill. I limp from time to time but still can run a bit and can't feel much pain while running. But it's been how many days already and the pain is still there so I'm heading to the polyclinic tomorrow to get a referral for a podiatrist or a sports doctor. I hope it's nothing serious :(

P.s.

tried to google about it and it says I might have peroneal tendonitis. Still crossing my fingers it's just a minor swelling. :nurse:

Yup, don't push yourself if it feels there's something wrong. Hopefully there'll be good news when you return from the polyclinic. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

So what time did your friend turn in the end, haha.

The AHM run singlet?

P.s.

Yup, don't push yourself if it feels there's something wrong. Hopefully there'll be good news when you return from the polyclinic. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Yes, AHM singlet. My friend went back to bed. So in the end I ran alone. Haha!

Yes, AHM singlet. My friend went back to bed. So in the end I ran alone. Haha!

I see. :)

At least I'm glad you didn't let it affect you and you still had a great run.

P.s.

Thanks! Pain subsided already but swelling is still there. Good thing it's not a fracture and doctor said it's just some swelling but have to rest from running first. Going to see another doctor on thursday. Good thing this happened after SCMS!

P.s.

Thanks! Pain subsided already but swelling is still there. Good thing it's not a fracture and doctor said it's just some swelling but have to rest from running first. Going to see another doctor on thursday. Good thing this happened after SCMS!

could it be that you had just changed to a new pair of shoes?? I am switching from shoes with a high drop to about 6mm drop and the running gait totally changes when i wear different types of shoes. and with the 6mm shoes, i will tend to use more of my mid foot to land and it too causes my ankle area to feel pain.... not sure if this could be a cause... and your foot is still trying to get used to it.

^No new shoes. Really weird how I got the injury... Must be something to do with me being flat footed :nurse: The doctor at the polyclinic suggested I do some basic feet strengthening exercises. Still have to reschedule my doctor's appointment again with the doctor that the polyclinic referred as I'm currently quite busy due to the holidays...

^No new shoes. Really weird how I got the injury... Must be something to do with me being flat footed :nurse: The doctor at the polyclinic suggested I do some basic feet strengthening exercises. Still have to reschedule my doctor's appointment again with the doctor that the polyclinic referred as I'm currently quite busy due to the holidays...

ok... some injuries go off with time.... you just keep a close watch ba.....

^Pain is gone already, thanks for the concern. But will definitely see a sports doctor to have a check up just to make sure everything's okay 'coz I really find the pain I got in my right foot quite odd. And after playing sports for quite some time already I think I'll be needing to do this for my own safety as well :)

^Pain is gone already, thanks for the concern. But will definitely see a sports doctor to have a check up just to make sure everything's okay 'coz I really find the pain I got in my right foot quite odd. And after playing sports for quite some time already I think I'll be needing to do this for my own safety as well :)

Glad that the pain seems to have gone. Yup it's always best to check with a doctor, just to ensure that it's nothing serious. Better safe than sorry. ;)