Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

Vibram HK100, 2014

Registration was full within 3.5 hrs of it opening. Still one of the most sort after ultras in HK :)

Hi, anyone can give any advice on the lodging and the race itself ?

What to look out for and to prepare myself for this race am flying over there alone.

As this my 1st time/attempt on HK Vibram 100, *keeping my finger cross* that i can complete within the cut-off time.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

What to look out for and to prepare myself for this race am flying over there alone.

As this my 1st time/attempt on HK Vibram 100, *keeping my finger cross* that i can complete within the cut-off time.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

train stairs! over and over again! there's like endless of them. no kidding.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

Cassie is spot on! Steps will be you biggest nemesis!. There will be countless steps up and down.

I went unprepared the first time in 2012 and was cursing every step. Prepared myself a bit better in 2013 and found it quite enjoyable. Regardless, the trails are simply fantastic (imho). Best place to train in Singapore is Bukit Timah Hill. The trails at BTH has lots of steps. It may not equal that of the HK trails but it's as close as we can get here. Just do repetitive climbs up and down. Key here is doing repetitive climbs. Doing just once or twice is not going help much. If you really want to ease the passage of the trails in HK100, start now! If you can't get to BTH regularly, alternatively is to use HDB flats and just climb the stairs.

As to your other queries, accomodations are sparse with sort of a camp/dormitory style 5 mins walk from the start line. No facilities on site according to those that stayed there. Some friends and I decided to stay in Sha Tin (about 20mins taxi ride and HK$120) in a proper hotel, With 3-4 people sharing, cost is not too bad and you have some comfort and eateries nearby to enjoy before the next 20-30 hours on the trail :) Check on the website under 'Event Info - Accomodations'. It will give you some idea where you can stay.

On the actual race itself, carry only the mandatory gears and only supplements that you cannot do without. If you can do with any type of food and drinks, then minimise what you need to carry as the Checkpoints are well stocked and has service with a smile :). You will be well taken care of at the CPs. You will also find a list of what drinks and food they provide at CPs in their website.

Attached is from my Vibram HK100 photo album in FB. I didn't do much write-up at that time but the pictures will give you a better idea what to expect.

https://www.facebook.com/david.wong.9803#!/david.wong.9803/media_set?set=a.273793582749811.64335.100003575148086&type=3

Just go there prepared for the climbs and you will thoroughly enjoy the trails. Have fun :)

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

Cassie is spot on! Steps will be you biggest nemesis!. There will be countless steps up and down.

I went unprepared the first time in 2012 and was cursing every step. Prepared myself a bit better in 2013 and found it quite enjoyable. Regardless, the trails are simply fantastic (imho). Best place to train in Singapore is Bukit Timah Hill. The trails at BTH has lots of steps. It may not equal that of the HK trails but it's as close as we can get here. Just do repetitive climbs up and down. Key here is doing repetitive climbs. Doing just once or twice is not going help much. If you really want to ease the passage of the trails in HK100, start now! If you can't get to BTH regularly, alternatively is to use HDB flats and just climb the stairs.

As to your other queries, accomodations are sparse with sort of a camp/dormitory style 5 mins walk from the start line. No facilities on site according to those that stayed there. Some friends and I decided to stay in Sha Tin (about 20mins taxi ride and HK$120) in a proper hotel, With 3-4 people sharing, cost is not too bad and you have some comfort and eateries nearby to enjoy before the next 20-30 hours on the trail :) Check on the website under 'Event Info - Accomodations'. It will give you some idea where you can stay.

On the actual race itself, carry only the mandatory gears and only supplements that you cannot do without. If you can do with any type of food and drinks, then minimise what you need to carry as the Checkpoints are well stocked and has service with a smile :). You will be well taken care of at the CPs. You will also find a list of what drinks and food they provide at CPs in their website.

Attached is from my Vibram HK100 photo album in FB. I didn't do much write-up at that time but the pictures will give you a better idea what to expect.

https://www.facebook.com/david.wong.9803#!/david.wong.9803/media_set?set=a.273793582749811.64335.100003575148086&type=3

Just go there prepared for the climbs and you will thoroughly enjoy the trails. Have fun :)

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the advice Cassie, will keep that in mind counting stairs from this weekend onwards haha.

Thanks and Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the advice and input David really appreciate that.

Will start training stairs and BTH till the race day haha...

Was still thinking whether to book the camp/dormitory or the hotel.

Based on your feedback think i will just go for the hotel since still can get to the race site on time haha...

Assuming at the same route, which are best hotels to stay?

Link from Vibram HK100 webisite regarding accomodations.

http://www.hk100-ultra.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1〈=en

There is not exactly a 'best' hotel to stay in as it depends on what you want.

Most convenient in terms of location will be the camp/dormitory, as mentioned in above posts, which is literally next to the start point. However, there are no food facilities and very basic amenities (as i gathered from runners that have stayed there). If you just want to be near the start point, that would be your choice. I have not stayed there before so can't really comment much on it.

The past 2 times, I stayed in Sha Tin (a small quiet area) at the Regal Riverside Hotel. Pricier but if you have 2-3 people sharing, it is quite reasonable. There are eateries and mini markets around and the rooms are big and comfortable. Again as mentioned, it's a 15-20 mins cab ride and about HK$120 away.

If you want to party and shop, there are lots of hotels in the city area depending on your budget. It is not difficult to get to the start point by cab but travelling time will be about 45 mins to an hour and cab fare substantially more.

This was my race report for the year 2012. My first attempt at the Vibram HK100. Just to give those going for the first time a little idea of what you can expect :)

Completed the HK100 in 25hr 08min. Winner, Ryan Sandes (S.African), finished in 9hr 54mins. What a world of difference from an elite trail runner to an average joe like me.

100km of trail that consist of rocks, sand, steep hills and lots of uneven steps. I didn't know what to expect before the start and was totally unprepared for all the climbing up and down of steps. That really took a toil on the knees and ankles. Getting through to checkpoint #5 (completing 52km) was OK. Made it on my scheduled time to to complete around 20hrs. However, the 2nd half was a killer. Maybe I underestimated the terrain and did not cater for the steep ascents and descents with numerous steps with the tiring legs and aching knees. I overshot my schedule by 5 hours. The most difficult section was from checkpoint 8 to 9. Three very steep climbs.

The trail was difficult in most places and the hills, steep. MacRitchie trails and Bukit Timah Hill are child's play compared to this. During the run and right after the run, I told myself I would not want to go through that again!

However, there are many positive sides to this run.

First, the organisers were top notch. Runners were well taken care of. Race pak had quite a few goodies that were very useful. Bag deposit at the start was efficient and retrieval at CP5 and the end was a breeze. Check points were well manned and stocked. The young volunteers were very enthusiatic in looking after the runners. The moment you arrive at the checkpoint, one would come up to you and asked if there was anything we needed. On offer were fruits, water, energy drinks, coca-cola, coffee, tea, cakes, sandwiches, biscuits, cup noodles, miso soup and the lists goes on. Food and drinks were never a problem. Whatever you fancied, they will go and get for you. Now that's what I call service!

The trail itself was very well marked with reflective, directional signs and also there were pink ribbons along the route to make sure you were on the right track. Mostly the trail is up and down the hills but there are some place we ran through that is seldom seen of HK. There are nice white sandy beaches, some rural places with quaint houses and lots of cows roaming around quite freely and poo-ing quite freely also !! As you ran through the night, there are times I enjoyed the solitude running through the hills and forested area. So peaceful.

The final stretch was from the summit of the highest peak in HK, Tai Mo Shan, it was a 4km downhill run, on road, to the finish point at the Rotary club. As I made it beyond the 24 hours mark, I did not get a medal. Instead, just a certificate of completion (within 32 hours) and a rather nice hooded sweater.

After a few days rest and reflecting back upon the run, I ask myself the same question. Would I do this again?? Most definitely...there is still the matter of getting my medal!

Photos from my 2nd attempt in 2013:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/david.wong.9803/media_set?set=a.273793582749811.64335.100003575148086&type=3

Just so you know what to aim for :)

PRIZES:
  • Trophies will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each of the male and female category
  • A Gold Award will be presented to runners finishing in under 16 hours
  • A Silver Award will be presented to runners finishing in under 20 hours
  • A Bronze Award will be presented to runners finishing in under 24 hours
  • A unique souvenir warm garment (hoodie-style) will be awarded to all finishers
  • Certificates will be awarded to all finishers

They only started giving out Finishers' Medals (those completing after 24hrs and within the cut-off time of 32hrs) this year in 2013. Prior to that, only a certificate for those that finished after 24 hours.

that's a very good race review, succint and inspiring. BTW, where is the starting point?

Also -being tropical creatures, what are the essential stuff to wear & bring over there?

that's a very good race review, succint and inspiring. BTW, where is the starting point?

Also -being tropical creatures, what are the essential stuff to wear & bring over there?

The start point is in Sai Kung at a place called Pak Tam Chung.

Below is a extract from their website:

DIRECTIONS How to get to the Starting Point
The Start is located at Pak Tam Chung in Sai Kung on Tai Mong Tsai Road.

Click here for the Google map showing its location

By taxi

You may want to print the following address in Chinese and show to your taxi driver: 西貢大網仔路北潭涌

From Hong Kong island a taxi to the start will take less than an hour and cost a little under HKD300 (about USD40). From Kowloon the journey will take about 45 minutes and cost about HKD200 (about USD 25).

By public transport

If you are taking a bus or minibus to the Start, it involves a change in Sai Kung Town.

The following schedule is for reference only and is subject to change by the relevant transport companies. Please check with the relevant transport companies for the most up to date information.

Part (1) - To Sai Kung Town from various places in the city

From Kowloon

There are two options:

(A) Bus no. 92: From Diamond Hill MTR/Railway Station Bus Terminus. Starts from 6 am, every 10 - 13 minutes.

(B) Minibus no. 1A : From Choi Hung (MTR) Station. Starts from 6.30 am, leaves when full.

From New Territories

Bus no. 299: From Sha Tin Central Bus Terminus (New Town Plaza B1) near Sha Tin (KCR) Station. Starts from 7 am, every 15 - 17 minutes. From Hong Kong Island

There are two options:

(A) Take the MTR to Hang Hau (MTR) Station. From Hang Hau (MTR) Station, take Minibus no. 101M. 101M starts from 5.30 am, leaves when full.

(B) Take the MTR to Choi Hung (MTR) Station. From Choi Hung (MTR) Station, take Minibus no. 1A . 1A starts from 6.30 am, leaves when full.

Part (2) - From Sai Kung Town to Pak Tam Chung

Bus no. 94: Starts from 6 am, every 30 minutes

Minibus no. 9: Starts from 6.15 am, every 30 minutes

Taking bus on race day might not be a good option as the race starts at 0800hrs and there might be a queue for bag deposit if you get there close to start time.
What you wear all depends on individual. I only wear a pair of shorts and sleeveless top. Temp would be around 15-20s degrees C but it can get chilly at night and also on the hills, it get windy especially at night. During the night, I just put on a long sleeve top and a wind-breaker but still run in my shorts :) As long as you keep moving and climbing those hills, it will still make you work up a sweat. Bear in mind, that is just me. I tend to tolerate cold a bit better and like it colder on the runs. As you have a drop bag at the halfway point at CP5, you may want to put some warm clothings in there just in case. I carry the L/S top throughout the run as I wear it at the start till I get warm enough to remove. Wind breaker is also in my pack and all other mandatory gears. Others, I leave in my drop bag and will decide if I need them when I get to CP5.

A few other points for those interested to know:

Leaving the Finish Point
The Finish Point is located at the Rotary Club Park on Tai Mo Shan Road in Tai Mo Shan Country Park off Route Twisk (“Tsuen Wan into Shek Kong”).
Click here for the Google map showing its location

By taxi
Because of the remoteness of the location, taxis tend to have to be called to the Finish Point. A list of the taxi operating companies will be available at the event’s Control Desk at the Finish.

By public transport
Bus no. 51 stops at the junction of Route Twisk and Tai Mo Shan Road (about 3 minutes from the Finish Point) and goes to Tsuen Wan Railway Station, from where it is easier to get a taxi or other public transport. However, the service does not operate throughout the night – it stops at around 11 pm and resumes at 6 am. Every 30 – 40 minutes.
Past 2 year I was there, they also had a shuttle bus leaving every now and then to Tsuen Wan MTR station. However, you have to purchase a ticket at HK$20.

Ah thanks, very good info. I'd like the cold but I see that many runners in your pics are dressed to the hilt ...including sadly departed professor

This looks like a good race to go for in 2014.

Ah thanks, very good info. I'd like the cold but I see that many runners in your pics are dressed to the hilt ...including a sadly departed professor....

Ah yes. May he RIP but knowing him, he's still exploring places :)

All dressed up before the start is about right as we have not warmed up and morning temp would still be cold. Once we are on the move, it will warm up. I removed my top within 2km of the start and ran in shorts and sleeveless top and i was still sweating on the move. All depending on the pace you intend to move at. As said, wear what you can pack into your back pack so when you have remove it, it will fit in there nicely. It takes a couple of runs in this conditions to really know what one needs but better to have more than not enough. If any excess, can always put it in the drop bag at CP5.

Keep training the steps and you will have a great time on the trails. Bring a camera if you want. Lots of photo opportunities :) See you there.

Ah thanks, very good info. I'd like the cold but I see that many runners in your pics are dressed to the hilt ...including sadly departed professor

Yes ... HK100 2014 was still a good race to go to and I could only see the slot for the 2015 race be selling out faster than the previous 4 years.