Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luke Low

Chiang Mai Marathon 2013

Already booked return air tickets from SG to Bangkok. from/to Bangkok to Chiang Mai will be using overnight train.

But recently got train derail on same route so i don't know if its now safe to travel by train..... got travel insurance but does not mean i want to use this option....if really cannot then domestic flight to chiang mai then. cost more but should be safer.... a bit.

Those who went previously might wish to share other methods of transport? Example travel to bangkok take train or etc. :)

Airasia is now promoting its inaugural daily flight to Krabi. It also has a daily flight from Krabi to Chiang Mai. This looks like to be cheapest way to fly from here to Chiang Mai. But, there is a risk: the flight from S'pore is scheduled to arrive Krabi at 1355hrs whereas the flight from Krabi to Chiang Mai takes off at 1500hrs - very little room for flight delay. Tigerair also flies to Krabi but their price is ridiculous.

It will be not be possible to catch the connecting flight on the same day for the return leg due to the flight timing. So it's either a layover at Krabi or go to Phuket, Hatyai or even Bangkok.

Those who went previously might wish to share other methods of transport? Example travel to bangkok take train or etc. :)

Airasia is now promoting its inaugural daily flight to Krabi. It also has a daily flight from Krabi to Chiang Mai. This looks like to be cheapest way to fly from here to Chiang Mai. But, there is a risk: the flight from S'pore is scheduled to arrive Krabi at 1355hrs whereas the flight from Krabi to Chiang Mai takes off at 1500hrs - very little room for flight delay. Tigerair also flies to Krabi but their price is ridiculous.

It will be not be possible to catch the connecting flight on the same day for the return leg due to the flight timing. So it's either a layover at Krabi or go to Phuket, Hatyai or even Bangkok.

great analysis of flight timing.

My friend who frequently travel to Bangkok says recently the airport custom has slowed down in processing arrival so connecting flights run the risk of missing the connection. It seems we will need to arrive, exit then re-enter airport again. There is no direct connecting booth available.

I am flying in to Bangkok n going town to collect train tickets to take train to chiang mai. its overnight train so will arrive around next day morning. In time to have breakfast in chiang mai. :)

Anyone has done Chiang Mai marathon before to advise on what to expect?

My friend who frequently travel to Bangkok says recently the airport custom has slowed down in processing arrival so connecting flights run the risk of missing the connection. It seems we will need to arrive, exit then re-enter airport again. There is no direct connecting booth available.

I am flying in to Bangkok n going town to collect train tickets to take train to chiang mai. its overnight train so will arrive around next day morning. In time to have breakfast in chiang mai. :)

Anyone has done Chiang Mai marathon before to advise on what to expect?

Running in the dark. Then the most 'siong' part is that 60% of route is go towards expressway. In the dark.

Then when reach u-turn, running back the sun will come up and it's really scorching and traffic density on expressway increase and the air will be filled with noxious fumes.

Upon entering old Chiang Mai city, traffic will be super jam and no more road closure. Almost got lost and the signages towards finishing line gone!

Luckily I found my way back.

True story from a 6h+ finisher due to heel injury after 10km mark 'cause of wearing wrong shoes.

Of course if you can run sub-6 or sub-5 or with the kenyans in the front pack, the story is likely to be different.

My advise is to run with the race route map just in case and a cap.

Moi did it once and quoth the raven..... nevermore :startle:

is the race really so few runners.

Thought there were quite a few singaporean runners

One possible reason is the absence of cheap airfare from here. Airasia had a cheap flight two years ago and even though the timing was not ideal (arriving Chiang Mai late at night) I believe there were quite a few who took it. Tigerair recently resumed flying there but their prices are ridulously high, higher than Silkair after adding all the extra charges. All the budget airlines tried to take advantage of the holiday season by quoting very high prices this year but I think it backfired and they now have to 'lelong' their tickets for travel before year-end. I've not checked if the Chiang Mai ticket prices have been reduced.

One thing to note is that the registration for the 42k and 21k for overseas participants is now closed - don't know if this is because the the dateline has passed or the registration is full.

Just completed HM yesterday. Route is super flat and temperature is chilly at ard 13 degrees. Like the small town carnival atmosphere and it's a unique experience running past street food breakfast stalls and saffron roped monks going through their alms morning rituals. There are sufficient water points and water melons served along route. Hot porridge and drinks were well appreciated at the end point. Note that air can be bad after 7 am when traffic starts to build up. Only complaint is that HM route is definitely longer by at least 1.5 to 2K! Going by my RUNKEEPER which measured 23.5k and also the pace which I was maintaining....

All in all a good experience as it was part of family holiday which included visits to elephant camp, tiger park and hill retreats

One possible reason is the absence of cheap airfare from here. Airasia had a cheap flight two years ago and even though the timing was not ideal (arriving Chiang Mai late at night) I believe there were quite a few who took it. Tigerair recently resumed flying there but their prices are ridulously high, higher than Silkair after adding all the extra charges. All the budget airlines tried to take advantage of the holiday season by quoting very high prices this year but I think it backfired and they now have to 'lelong' their tickets for travel before year-end. I've not checked if the Chiang Mai ticket prices have been reduced.

One thing to note is that the registration for the 42k and 21k for overseas participants is now closed - don't know if this is because the the dateline has passed or the registration is full.

I may be wrong about the absence of cheap airfare being the cause of the low participation. It seems that not only the registration for the 42k and 21k were full, even the 10k was full on the eve of the run. Looks like the number of participants is restricted either by the organiser or the town authorities.

Heard this year the weather was much colder than the previous years.

Anyone did a few years care to comment or share ?

The temperature is normal for Chiangmai this time of the year. There were a few years (like two years ago) where it was warmer but those can be said to be abnormal.

Just want to check if any of you received the your pics at finishing point from the organiser? The website says that pics were sent on 1st February 2014... But haven't received anything so far and neither have I seen any pics on their website