Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yvonne7marathons7continent

ING New York City Marathon 2013

Registration to apply for the 2013 marathon will be open from April 24 to May 24 2013! Here's the Marathon's website: http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/

I ran the NYC Marathon in 2008 and 11 marathons down the road, it still remains the best marathon I've ever done. Moreover, it will always be a special marathon for me since I conceived the idea of running 7 marathons on 7 continents after running the NYC marathon! Here's why you should consider running the ING NYC Marathon in 2013:

1. It's New York City. Need I say more?

2. In terms of route planning, the race route takes you through all the 5 boroughs of the city and you get to see the city while running! It starts in Staten Island, goes into Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bronx and then ends off in Manhattan's Central Park.

3. The spectators are awesome. This is a big event in the city's calendar and the spectators (who outnumber the runners at around 2 million of them) do put up a great show.

4. It's a challenging race route. Well, most runners love a challenge no? Runner across five NY bridges is no joke.

Running the NYC marathon more or less confirmed my passion for running marathons and inspired me to pursue the dream of running 7 marathons on 7 continents. I'm realising the quest this year as I complete the final 3 continents while raising funds for the elderly who are supported by the Tsao Foundation in Singapore. Do check out the website for more information :)

http://yvonne7marathons7continents.com/the-dream

They use the time qualifier this year, even cruel than Boston, say under 39 2:45; 40-44 2:50. Inhuman...

maybe they should have a separate qualifying timing for hot countries like us lol. den again I'm far from that as well lol

They use the time qualifier this year, even cruel than Boston, say under 39 2:45; 40-44 2:50. Inhuman...

maybe they should have a separate qualifying timing for hot countries like us lol. den again I'm far from that as well lol

I believe the time qualifier is for guaranteed entries only - meaning if you achieve the qualifying time, you are guaranteed a race slot subject to a cap of number of such participants. For others, can still register as general participants and subject to balloting. Such participants should still form the majority. I recall the cut-off timing for New York is 7 hours.

>maybe they should have a separate qualifying timing for hot countries like us lol. den again I'm far from that as well lol

I believe the time qualifier is for guaranteed entries only - meaning if you achieve the qualifying time, you are guaranteed a race slot subject to a cap of number of such participants. For others, can still register as general participants and subject to balloting. Such participants should still form the majority. I recall the cut-off timing for New York is 7 hours.

2000 runners meeting the qualifying times will have guaranteed entry. Runners who don't meet the standards can still try to obtain entries via balloting but due to the fact that they have to accommodate 2012 runners (due to the cancellation of the run coz of Hurricane Sandy), the number of spots for runners via balloting is smaller.

Time Qualifying Standards (http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/guaranteed_entry.htm)

Runners who meet the following qualifying time standards in a half-marathon or marathon (results must be verifiable online) between January 1, 2012, and January 31, 2013:

Men Age Marathon 1/2 Marathon 18-39 2:45:00 1:19:00 40-44 2:50:00 1:23:00 45-49 2:58:00 1:25:00 50-54 3:06:00 1:29:00 55-59 3:14:00 1:33:00 60-64 3:24:00 1:39:00 65-69 3:35:00 1:42:00 70+ 3:46:00 1:48:00

Women Age Marathon 1/2 Marathon 18-39 3:10:00 1:30:00 40-44 3:25:00 1:37:00 45-49 3:35:00 1:42:00 50-54 3:49:00 1:48:30 55-59 3:52:00 1:50:00 60-64 4:10:00 1:58:00 65-69 4:26:00 2:06:00 70+ 4:50:00 2:17:00

wow! are you doing it again this year?

@Ripley, I would love to do it again this year but as I'm already doing 4 marathons this year, I'll have to rule it out.

hi Yvonne,

what a coincidence - i've run New York too (in 2010) :-)

completely agree with you about the spectators -- if the authorities were to allow spectators on the bridges, i'm sure they would have been there too! coming off the quiet Queensboro Bridge and into the deafening cheers of the crowd on First Ave was simply magical... it's a tough course (up/down bridges, many right angle turns around city blocks, and the killer undulating terrain of Central Park at the end...) but the spectators are like a jab of adrenaline that give you an unbelievable energy boost.

for anyone running NYC, i highly recommend reading "A Race Like No Other" by Liz Robbins. and i quite enjoyed the bus tour of the route (available during the race expo) which helped me anticipate the challenges of the route and also better appreciate the 5 boroughs.

the fees are getting more and more expensive, and the ballot can be frustrating, but it's totally worth it!

I will be in this race, and traveling solo. Let me know if anybody else is in. I'll like to purchase a 2 to go ticket on SQ and need a traveling companion.