Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AhXiong

Need Advice: GPS Watch

Currently I'm looking for a GPS watch. My budget is below $350. My understanding there are many brands out there. However I'm currently looking at Soleus GPS FIT 1.0 which suits my budget. Here are my questions:

1. What do you guys think of Soleus GPS FIT 1.0?

2. Any other recommendation?

3. Which shop can I get GPS watch with good price?

Please advice. Thanks :)

Currently I'm looking for a GPS watch. My budget is below $350. My understanding there are many brands out there. However I'm currently looking at Soleus GPS FIT 1.0 which suits my budget. Here are my questions:

Soleus 3.0 is already out in the market and is quite close to the budget of $350.00. Go for this instead of the 1.0 Soleus watch is available at Crystal Times authorised reseller.. But personally I suggest you go for the Garmin 210 or the Timex Run Trainer instead. This are within your budget if you buy online.

Hi guys,

I don't mean to start another topic but I also would like to find out where I can buy the Timex Run Trainer?

Here's the link: http://global.timex....er-gps-t5k549f5

Thanks thanks guys :)

Timex Run Trainer is currently still not available in Singapore. Buy it online. It much cheaper but if you don't mind 2nd hand, there are a few fellas selling in the forum. Look up the threads

DCRainmaker got a comprehensive review of the Soleus GPS FIT 1.0.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/12/soleus-gps-10-90-running-watch-in-depth.html

I know its unavoidable that Garmin will come up as recommendation but you should be aware that their after-sale warranty is less than stellar. Read my post in another thread for details.

http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18029entry458314

As for places to shop for watches, the shop watches at Benchoolen sell Soleus and Poar GPS watches.

Hi guys,

I don't mean to start another topic but I also would like to find out where I can buy the Timex Run Trainer?

Here's the link: http://global.timex....er-gps-t5k549f5

Thanks thanks guys :)

I know a lot of people says the watch is not available in Singapore. I make an inquiry to Timex sg distributor - RSH Limited and was told that the watch is available at Stadium Ngee AnnCity #B2-15-23. I have yet to verify this for myself or the retail price.

You should get Soleus GPS 2.0 or 3.0 if you want a heart rate monitor. I believe 2.0 is within your price range and 3.0 is just slight above.

I just gotten a Polar RC3 GPS watch recently. Prior to that I was considering Soleus GPS 2.0, but was concern about the battery life since it stated 8 hrs usage on GPS mode.

The Polar RC3 GPS has 12 hrs battery life on GPS mode. However the downside for Polar RC3 is that it's not waterproof for swimming. The makers stated that the watch will not be affected by rain or washing but it's not rated for swimming. Since I'm just using it for running, it's not an issue for me.

RunningLab at novena currently has a promo going on for participants of Stanchart Marathon. They are having a 15% discount for SCMS runners and the discount covers GPS watches as well. Without discount the Polar RC3 is priced at $399, so 15% should be about $340.

Hi Runners: Any possible to get running watches less than $100. around around budget 100 - $140?

thanks

Hi Runners: Any possible to get running watches less than $100. around around budget 100 - $140?

thanks

In Singapore? GPS watch? Not possible. Normal sports watch definitely.

thanks

If you want just a watch with stopwatch or better still, with a Heart Rate Monitor, is possible. Running watch with GPS, dun think so unless your $140 is in Aussie dollar or something else.

BTW, for a few yrs, I used MapMyRun or Endomondo app on my smartphone. Free GPS running app. You can track & view online your runs including a map of your route, distance covered and time taken. Some got lap time per km. Go take a look. Just go smartphone App store or Google it.

Any recommendation of a watch which has GPS capability and able to map our runs onto Facebook? :turned:

You can import your runs from Garmin into MapMyRun or Endomondo, and share it that way.

Highjack this thread to ask about Polar watches.

I have been using RS300x SD for about 3 years to track my long runs and is quite happy with the watch. Now that Polar has launched the RCX 3 series (GPS, Run, Bike...), thinking of upgrading as the design looks nice but I guess the functionality is the same (but having a much smaller footpod and GPS rec). Anyone upgraded in the same way? Any comments?

I am a bit concern of the large glass area vs the RS300. Will it get scratches easily?

Note: I am not so keen to get a integrated GPS watch due to the size and short battery life. With a stand alone watch, I still can wear it like a normal watch.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I finally got my Garmin Forerunner 10 a few weeks ago in Sitex. It suits my budget and I'm very happy with it. I got it from www.allbright.com.sg for the price of $180. Tried it a few times, the GPS detection is fast (less than 20s in good weather). However during my first usage it took about 5 minutes to detect. Initially I thought the unit that I got have some problem, but after checking with the seller they told me it's normal for the first time. As for the strap issue, I found out unlike other Garmin model, the start is not molded to the body. Therefore in future if need to change the strap, it's much more easier.

Hope this information help to all budget runners like me :)

Hello everyone,

My Garmin FR110 is beginning to show some issues, it's a replacement unit after the original one failed at the 11th month. I am not sure the replacement unit is a brand new or refurbished, but it's also crossed the one year period too. Just to get some inputs on what's the typical lifespan of a Garmin? Or should I go ahead and look for my next purchase? Thanks.

Mine is FR210 and approximately 1 year 5 months old. Right before SCSM2012, I charged it and then shut it down. In the morning of the run, it refused to to be turned on. I was pissed!. Left for holiday after the marathon and came back nearly 3 weeks later. I tried again and it turned on! It was flashing low-battery. I quickly charged it. Now, I will not let it turned off, even though I am taking a 3 month break to recover from injuries.

I would suggest you use it as much as possible till it finally gives up on you. If you still prefer the watch GPS, You can read DC rainmaker and give yourself an idea what to get next. For me, I would go for the Timex Run Trainer as it water resistant till 50m.

Several mentions of 3-year use, and still going strong, so if budget is the OP's main limit, perhaps an older model second hand might be a consideration?

Just curious, do people here own more than one working GPS watch? For rotation? :)

Sport watches is in Stadium MRT. Almost all sport watches are there, but expensive. The Timex run trainer there is being sold by 450sgd. I can sell this by 350sgd only though no receipt warranty in timex is in the box. I can also sell the Timex run trainer 2.0 for 550sgd the newest model. SMS me if interrested 92480078