Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dalstonl

Garmin Forerunner 10

I had problems with Garmin watches as well. My first Garmin- the 110 - the strap disintegrated into several parts (!) and there is no replacement.

My next Garmin- the 610 has the same problem- the strap unhinges itself.

I think the problem is the humidity of Singapore's weather. Garmin's watches, as much as I love them, are not designed for a tropical country.

Forerunner 10 has replaceable straps, unlike previous models of Forerunners.

I think all Garmin watches have replaceable straps.The problem is that the local distributor can't do it and need to send back to Taiwan for the replacement. So if FR10 straps cant be replace locally, then it will be the same problem.

Actually if we think about it, I think all sports watches will have the same issue of straps breakage after a while. Imagine all the sweats and abuse the watches has to go through when we go for our runs, cycling or swimming. So perhaps the crucial question to ask before we part with our money (and those watches are not cheap) is to ask about the issue of straps replacement locally.

DC Rainmaker has an in-depth review of this watch on his site: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

One of the thing that caught my attention in his review was the short active battery life of 5 hours for activities. So not one to take for the long run or cycling.

Hmm, found this on garmin website.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pID=117570&img=productImageLarge

Seems like the watch strap can be replaced on our own? If this is solved, would it be a good decision to buy? What do you guys think?

Yea this model, like other newer series of Garmin Forerunner watches, has separate straps; unlike previous models where the straps are one with the centre part.

But i think the concerns of other guys is that, we buy our watches, but we can't freely execute the services of our warranty (replace strap f.o.c or etc) coz the watch has to be sent back to Taiwan for repair.. Did i guess ur minds correctly guys..?

I just sent in my Garmin 610 for strap repair- they have a service centre at Orchard Central. I was told that it takes 3 - 5 weeks (!) for repair so I have no watch for now! :(

Guess I'll have to check out the other brands...

I just sent in my Garmin 610 for strap repair- they have a service centre at Orchard Central. I was told that it takes 3 - 5 weeks (!) for repair so I have no watch for now! :(

Was your under warranty still? Mine just expired a week ago and the strap came off couple of days ago. Talk about perfect timing! Wondering how much they charge to change the strap. Also headache about when I should repair them. Guess I have to stick with scotch taping for the time being.

Guess I'll have to check out the other brands...

Shoots, that's tough luck. Mine was a few days from an expired warranty!

The shop does sell replacement straps for the watches. I cannot remember the price but it's around the range of $50-70.

Another cheaper, but more unsightly solution is to get those black gaffer tape from DIY stores.

Shoots, that's tough luck. Mine was a few days from an expired warranty!

The shop does sell replacement straps for the watches. I cannot remember the price but it's around the range of $50-70.

Another cheaper, but more unsightly solution is to get those black gaffer tape from DIY stores.

You mean there are replacement straps for Garmin 610?

Went to shop at i12 just now and decided to pop by parisilk at eastgate.

And saw that they are selling the FR10! Price tagged at $219 though.

Abit ex for this entry level GPS watch?

Qoo now selling this fr10 at £159 for limited sets, inclusive of delivery. Normal price £199 on qoo

I just got one, backup for my current fr210 - almost 1 yr old.

Thanks kaeyes for sharing the info. I just ordered one today from the qoo10 today, will receive on Tuesday.

Did more online research yesterday, good reviews on the amazon.com. can't wait to try it.

Haha, I thought I got a rare deal from qoo10 and found out about the challenger promotion today. Actually the qoo10 seller is also navicom.

I would think it's more convenient to get it from challenger if you have membership.

I have only tested it with a walk. Easy to get gps location outdoor, simple setting, easy to use.

After software update on the garmin website, the watch can also measure average pace, a function that it lacked previously.

Qoo now selling this fr10 at £159 for limited sets, inclusive of delivery. Normal price £199 on qoo

I just got one, backup for my current fr210 - almost 1 yr old.

It is actually $159.If it is in pounds,i won't be buying it either ^__^ll

Qoo10 is having another promotion on the Forerunner 10 at S$159 with delivery.

Grab it here if interested.

That was what i did =) Good delivery and packaging from Navicom.

Haha, I thought I got a rare deal from qoo10 and found out about the challenger promotion today. Actually the qoo10 seller is also navicom.

I would think it's more convenient to get it from challenger if you have membership.

I have only tested it with a walk. Easy to get gps location outdoor, simple setting, easy to use.

After software update on the garmin website, the watch can also measure average pace, a function that it lacked previously.

DCrainmaker has a comprehensive review for Garmin FR10.

I have tested the FR10 for 2 runs (one 4km at http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/276745891

and 18km at http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/277356655). I really love that the FR10 can pick the running pace instantly and accuracy is good here :thumbsup:

Uploading of running data to Garmin Connect and Mapmyrun which i use is also very very easy and i love the detailed analysis of each workout done! :)

I agree that the FR10 is a good value-for-money entry GPS watch. I wish the battery life is a tad longer. Of cos 5hr is probably enough for 90% of our workout. However for all of us aspiring marathoners, it will probably/definitely not be enough for the race.

I agree that the FR10 is a good value-for-money entry GPS watch. I wish the battery life is a tad longer. Of cos 5hr is probably enough for 90% of our workout. However for all of us aspiring marathoners, it will probably/definitely not be enough for the race.

This is true for an entry level GPS watch.

If we were to use for a full marathon 42km,this watch will probably die out by 5 hours of GPS usage (unless we are capable of clearing of clearing below 5 hours).

Even acknowledging its limited GPS battery life,i will recommend this to my running friends who are really serious into training and need information on each run done =)