Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

Raidlight Lantau 50 and Lantau 100, 2013 Hong Kong

went Hk for short business trip, had 1 night free so grabbed my jacket, headlamp, laced up and went in search of the infamous HK/ wilson trail. heard a lot about the kind of concrete terrain and indeed serious ascent and steep descents in store in HK......now after 3 days ankles still aching. time to go for some stair climbing sessions....

"At the finish one freshly cooked pizza is served to each participant".....Yeah!

really?? that would be the best tasting pizza after a helluv a race!!

The elevation for LT100 looks daunting. Looks like I have bitten off more than I could chew.

you can do it! :showoff:

for those who did last year's edition, after the race, did you guys take the ferry / MRT back to hotel (all tired and smelly)?

for those who did last year's edition, after the race, did you guys take the ferry / MRT back to hotel (all tired and smelly)?

Took the ferry back straight after the race from DB last year. Won't be all that 'smelly' as the weather was still cool and wasn't that sweaty. Not sure how it will be this year. Quite common for them to see people looking a bit rugged and all, with back packs and hiking poles as it is also a popular hiking destination for locals and tourists. Don't worry, you will not be "stared" at :)

Just did the 51km route that the organizer has mapped out for this year's race. This is slightly different route from what we had last year.

There will be some bush-bashing around the 10~15km mark .... my calves compression are totally "disfigured" after going through the low-lying branches. So, if you are thinking of wearing your expensive compression for this race, think twice. (don't bet on it that the branches will go away after all these human traffic during the race)

There are few parts that I almost need to go on my butt and have to sit down to go down some slopes (a couple of times). (you can probably imagine how steep those slopes are)

The part of going up Sunset Peak is both nice (view) and tiring. Steep and long. The part about going up Lo Yan Shan is really tough mentally. (both of these mountains are also part of last year's race).

The last ~10km is undulating and mostly concrete path by the beach that leads back to Mui Wo Ferry Terminal. At this terminal, you can look forward to the big M and also some outlets for beers and smoothies.

I hiked and did some quick marches instead of running and I completed within 12 hours; I had lots of rest and pit-stops too. So, it's do-able (within the 13hours cut-off) as long as you are not defeated mentally.

If you have not been to hikes in HK, then PLEASE bring along your camera for lots of photos before sun-set!!! Enjoy and good luck!

thanks for the field report, rubencht

will be my first time hiking in HK - really concern about sunset peak and the cut-off times at various checkpoints

how is the weather and what time does the sun set?

Weather? I got both slight sun burnt as well as feeling freaking cold up in the mountain, last weekend.

In March, I would expect the max temp to be around mid 20s.

As for sunset? It will be 6:33pm.

If you really need an extra pair of shoes to change and have a supporter, CP3 would be a good point for your supporter to wait for you. Pak Kung Au is easily accessible by public transport.

If you really need an extra pair of shoes to change and have a supporter, CP3 would be a good point for your supporter to wait for you. Pak Kung Au is easily accessible by public transport.

if u read the rules carefully, it mention that only food and drinks can be provided by supporters at aid stations. No provision of extra gear/socks/etc.

My bad for the wrong info on trying to get any change of attire at CP3.

I know it will not affect me as I have not really needed any changes (or additional items) from the CP in my previous races.

Brokie, you worried? Why so? Unless you have higher expectation to get up the podium or set yourself a stiff time limit, I know you will be ok (to complete the 50km) in respectable timing.

Just make sure your camera has enough battery juice at the start.

One more point ... maybe you already know this .... don't run and take picture in this course. On some portion of the trails, it is really runnable and you could actually see lovely view as you on this portion. Tempted to shoot and run? Don't. Because one mis-step and you will roll down the hills.

So, to all, have fun, takes lots of pictures and bring along your common sense too.

thanks rubentcht for your tips...

just to confirm, from Mui Wuo jetty, it is just a short walk to the start point?

(i am planning to reach Central Pier6 at 7am - will be in time right?)

trekking pole help or not? i borrowed a pair and tried climbing stairs with it - found that it does help quite a bit - but not sure of the effect of carrying them the whole distance...also considering using 1 instead of both

cheers

I'm not sure where exactly is the starting point. If it is just outside SilverMine hotel, then it is like 10min leisure walk from the terminal.

For Saturday, the earliest (fast) ferry is 7:10am. It takes about 40min. The reason the race starts at 9am is mainly, I believe, to cater for runners coming from Central on this ferry. Fret not, even if you have to take the next ferry at 7:40am, you should still be ok for the race. (a bit tight on schedule but still ok, nevertheless)

trekking poles? The only question is ... have you trained enough with them? both up hill and down hill?

Personally, I don't use them ... not that they are not useful, but simply because I don't know how to use it. But I know many runners swear by it and if use probably, it will definitely help with the climb by taking some load off the legs. During the downhills, if extended further (longer than uphill), it will also be good to provide the stability and giving you the firm "holding" as you look "dauntingly" downhills. So, either up or down, it may be useful.

Now whether one stick or two sticks ... again, I think both have its pro-con. Try either method and see what suits better. Advicing you without actual assessment (and observing on how you use them) will be very irresponsible (on my part).

Do note that we have been repeatedly warn by the organiser that some part of the trails are quite "virgin" with lots of undergrowth ... need to do some bushwhacking. So, in this case, the poles will be quite troublesome. Problematic but not insummountable. I'm not very expert with trail running ... so, please take this piece of comment (of mine) with a large pinch of salt. I think there are others on FB that have also and actually done the actual 100km recce. Maybe you can look up for these people and ping them/him.

Cheers and introduce yourself if we do get to meet on race morning.

Die!! I haven't trained with my poles. I always forget to bring them. Erm... If I am good during training without the poles, I should be good during the actual race without it? (thinking aloud)

Die!! I haven't trained with my poles. I always forget to bring them. Erm... If I am good during training without the poles, I should be good during the actual race without it? (thinking aloud)

Don't sweat the small stuff, just have fun at the trails there!!