Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

Raidlight Lantau 50 and Lantau 100, 2013 Hong Kong

The 2nd edition of the Raidlight Lantau 50 and 1st edition of Lantau 100

Date: 16th March 2013

Start Time: 9 AM

http://www.lantau50.com/index.html

The Raidlight Lantau 50 is a trail running event on South Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Participants have the opportunity to tackle this challenge solo or as a team of two. The 50-km course covers three country parks on South Lantau with 90% on trails and a cumulative elevation gain of 2,600 meters. The event starts and ends on Silvermine Beach, Mui Wo.

The 100-km challenge will cover the most scenic trails on South Lantau, for a cumulative elevation gain of 5,000 meters. This is a challenging trail run which requires adequate training to complete the full route within 30 hours. The route includes steep climbs and downhills, the highest climb being the Lantau peak (934m). The race is semi-self sufficiency with 10 refreshment posts along the way. To enrol for the Lantau100, you must be a finisher of a 100km Trail race OR a 50km trail race in <12hrs within the last 2 years.

The Explorer 15km starts on Silvermine beach, includes the climb of the Lo Fu Tau (Tiger head, 450m) before heading back to Silvermine beach, via single tracks, mostly on trails.

Registration starts 31st October 2012

2012 was a great race. A bit lost at the end due to lack of lights leading to finish line but great experience nevertheless. 9am start means that you can take the CX overnight flight and bus to the start line without issues.

Dvdwng, got 15km leh! Hahaha. SCM HK problem is the 15th day of CNY. So thinking if this will be a good choice just to try trail run. What u think?

Dvdwng, got 15km leh! Hahaha. SCM HK problem is the 15th day of CNY. So thinking if this will be a good choice just to try trail run. What u think?

Yes icebaby. Got 15km. Good place to try trail indeed. It will be harder than MacRitchie trails but at least the weather will be cool and also quite scenic. Registration opens end September so can think about it.

Hi icebaby. Just looked at the Explorer 15 of the Raidlight Lantau50.

All events starts at Mui Wo Beach. Last year's was at Discovery Bay. Both are on Lantau island itself. The Explorer15 starts at 10am so plenty of time to get there from HK side. If I'm not mistaken, there should also be direct fast ferries from HK Central piers so that makes it easier to get there. Don't need to stay on Lantau itself.

The highest peak you will have to climb is Lo Fu Tau (450m) but the view is quite nice from there. Can bring along camera for a run/hike experience. The enitire trail itself will be all trails with some steps to climb. You should have plenty of time to complete the course before it gets dark.

If you are interested in getting into trails (of course at home there's MR and BT) this has the added advantage of being cooler, can shop and eat before/after and take it as a short holiday. Of course it will cost more to make the trip as oppose to MR and BT.

Interested to go..but from HK how to get to Lantau? That's my biggest concern :)

It's actually quite easy. Hong Kong Central Pier 3. There are fast ferries running to Discovery Bay every 30 mins or so and cost is about HKD30+. However, next year's edition is at Mui Wo Beach (Silvermine) and I believe that there are fast ferries direct to that location.

http://www.hongkongextras.com/ferries_outlying.html

They have added a new category.

Lantau100.

For those that have missed out on the HK100, another opportunity to do a 100km trail in HK. Overall, it has more elevation gain as compared to HK100 and a slightly shorter cut-off time of 30 hours (HK100 is 32hrs). Another point to note that it is in mid March so weather wise, should be much warmer than HK100 which is towards end Jan.

Registration is opened! However, paying by card requires a 2-step registration process and part of it was in French!! :startle:

i'm in for the 50k. anyone else doing the 50?? or most doing 100??

There's a list of participants on the "registration" page. See anyone you know? In terms of Singaporeans, most seems to be doing the 100km. Both 50km and 100km have a lot of familiar names :)

threw my name into the hat for the 100k.

bag drop at 8am, race start at 9am.....i am not familiar with HK, so can anybody advise if i should stay on lantau itself (just book through the recommended hotels/ guesthouses from the race organizers) or is it ok for me to stay on HK island? if so which area is best to minimize travelling time to lantau?

PS: if anyone is heading up to HK alone and looking to book air tix, SQ has promo at 338 but minimum 2 to go....i am looking for one more lone ranger to enjoy this deal..

bag drop at 8am, race start at 9am.....i am not familiar with HK, so can anybody advise if i should stay on lantau itself (just book through the recommended hotels/ guesthouses from the race organizers) or is it ok for me to stay on HK island? if so which area is best to minimize travelling time to lantau?

PS: if anyone is heading up to HK alone and looking to book air tix, SQ has promo at 338 but minimum 2 to go....i am looking for one more lone ranger to enjoy this deal..

rats, i booked mine thru jetstar already, if not will rather fly SQ for 30dollars more...lol

If you want a quiet stay, then should stay on Lantau island but because of the late start time, you got plenty of time to get to the start point from HK itself. From HK Central piers, there are ferries to Discovery Bay and also direct to the start at Mui Wo. Check out the pier number where the ferry departs. Most operates 24 hours with 20-30 mins intervals or thereabouts. Journey should take 30-40 mins on a comfortable ferry. So if you want some shopping and eating spree, stay on HK or Kowloon side and you will still have enough time to get to the start point on race day.

rats, i booked mine thru jetstar already, if not will rather fly SQ for 30dollars more...lol

you are fast!! anyone else looking to hook up on SQ to HK ?? pls reply to this thread...i will book by this friday..

If you want a quiet stay, then should stay on Lantau island but because of the late start time, you got plenty of time to get to the start point from HK itself. From HK Central piers, there are ferries to Discovery Bay and also direct to the start at Mui Wo. Check out the pier number where the ferry departs. Most operates 24 hours with 20-30 mins intervals or thereabouts. Journey should take 30-40 mins on a comfortable ferry. So if you want some shopping and eating spree, stay on HK or Kowloon side and you will still have enough time to get to the start point on race day.

thanks for the advise dvdwng, personally i prefer to stay on HK itself because its more convenient to do anything (like shop for gear ahahha)....so i think i will start looking at suitable accomodation on HK/ Kowloon. i gather you are a HK resident? are you doing lantau 50/100?

thanks for the advise dvdwng, personally i prefer to stay on HK itself because its more convenient to do anything (like shop for gear ahahha)....so i think i will start looking at suitable accomodation on HK/ Kowloon. i gather you are a HK resident? are you doing lantau 50/100?

I'm from Singapore but been to quite a few runs in HK. I did the Lantau 50 early this year and will be upgrading to the Lantau100 :) Just be prepared for all the hill climbing.

I'm from Singapore but been to quite a few runs in HK. I did the Lantau 50 early this year and will be upgrading to the Lantau100 :) Just be prepared for all the hill climbing.

heard the hills are more trails type compared to concrete steps for vibram hk100, is this true for lantau??

heard the hills are more trails type compared to concrete steps for vibram hk100, is this true for lantau??

I have done both the Vibram HK100 and the Lantau50. There are trails and there are lots of concrete steps as well in the Lantau 50. However, I find the steps in Lantau 50 easier as they are of more 'normal' size as compared to HK100 which are higher steps. The trails are narrower also in Lantau 50 as again compared to HK100.

These are just some photos I took in March this year of the Lantau 50.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.138644329598071.24472.100003575148086&type=3#!/media/set/?set=a.138644329598071.24472.100003575148086&type=3

I have done both the Vibram HK100 and the Lantau50. There are trails and there are lots of concrete steps as well in the Lantau 50. However, I find the steps in Lantau 50 easier as they are of more 'normal' size as compared to HK100 which are higher steps. The trails are narrower also in Lantau 50 as again compared to HK100.

http://www.facebook....75148086&type=3

tks for sharing!! narrow is good, i do better in tight pack single track trails

wow great photos of the ground! love your friend in the SAF no 4 slacks jungle hat and camo....

wow great photos of the ground! love your friend in the SAF no 4 slacks jungle hat and camo....

Haha...Everyone knows Sky...Singapore Mad Runner.