Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeaCeFOol

Great Wall of China Marathon 2013 - 1st May 2013 (Wednesday)

Who is game for a race on one of the wonders of the world?!

The Great Wall of China Marathon in 2013 is being held on 1st May 2013, which is a public holiday in Singapore.

It falls on Wednesday by the way.

p/s: I am seriously considering of going for the full marathon, looking for some kakis to run and enjoy the experience together! ^_^ reach me on my facebook at peacefool@hotmail.com to contact me there too! :camp:

NOTE: THERE ARE 2 GREAT WALL MARATHONS, THE OTHER MARATHON CAN BE FOUND IN THIS THREAD: http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17868

I am also considering the full marathon for this event....double achievement of doing a marathon and scaling one of the wonders of the world.

The website tour package din seem to indicate it is applicable for Singapore runners. How should we go about signing for this?

I am also considering the full marathon for this event....double achievement of doing a marathon and scaling one of the wonders of the world.

The website tour package din seem to indicate it is applicable for Singapore runners. How should we go about signing for this?

I just bumped into another site after discussion with Brokenrunner! http://www.facebook.com/greatwallmarathon; http://www.great-wall-marathon.com

Need to consider either one!

Both marathons are pretty good. The Great Wall China Marathon held on May 1st is more of an adventure marathon and tours are not required. You'll run almost complete on the Great Wall itself, there are some parts on the full marathon course where you'll have to exit the Wall and run on the trail due to extreme hazards. You'll encounter loose and crumbling steps, missing stones/steps, trees and branches. You'll run on restored parts of the Wall as well as parts that are in its natural state and in ruins. It's a smaller marathon with about 200-500 runners each year. They offer a 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon and a Full. www.greatwallchinamarathon.com if you want to use a credit card or www.greatwallmarathon.com.cn if you would prefer a bank transfer for a 50$ discount. katie@greatwallchinamarathon.com

The Great Wall Marathon that is held mid May each year will require you to sign up for a tour unless you live in China. The race is well organized, I've run it twice myself. The run about 3.5 miles on the restored part of the Wall. The rest are run through the local villages and towns. If you are running the full you'll want to kick it into high gear when going out. You'll have a two mile up hill trek to get to the Wall as you hit the Wall you'll want to go as fast as you can due to bottlenecking on the Wall which will bring you to a standpoint due to 2000 runners. As you make your way off the Wall and head down to the village you could run into runners coming up the mountain and hit a bottleneck again. This happened last year, 2012, stopped me from completing the full marathon as i was not able reach the cutoff time before they closed off the Wall and was directed to the finish line. It was not a big deal for me since i live in China but other had spent thousands of $$$$ and were disappointed that they couldn't finish the full marathon. They offer a mini marathon, 1/2 and full marathons.

Both races have their good points and their bad points, and each runner should always pick what race is best for them. But i recommend them both. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at katie@greatwallchinamarathon.com

Hmm very interesting.

I am considering to participate in the 1 May 2014 China Great Wall marathon! High chance i am going :)

I heard a group of more than 80 Taiwan/Malaysia/Singporean runners have already registered (group early bird).