Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unidentified

Advice for Prescription sunglasses

Have been looking and asking around shops in Singapore and most don't make prescription lens for those 1 frame sunglasses

Was eyeing on Oakley M frame , Radar but cannot make prescription for 500+ degree

And was suggested to rudy project maya

Is is possible to make 500+ degree prescription for Oakley , or any other model can recommend me ? Prefer those 1 frame sunglasses , thanks

Oh , and I'm curious , do people wear sunglasses for marathon which start about 2-5am or they carry until the sun rise then wear it ?

Have been looking and asking around shops in Singapore and most don't make prescription lens for those 1 frame sunglasses

Was eyeing on Oakley M frame , Radar but cannot make prescription for 500+ degree

Is is possible to make 500+ degree prescription for Oakley , or any other model can recommend me ? Prefer those 1 frame sunglasses , thanks

Oakley does but very ex. I m not sure how much. Remy Ong prescription sunglass is oakley factory since Oakley sponsors him.

I wear Rudy Project Ekynox with Prescription insert.

Oh , and I'm curious , do people wear sunglasses for marathon which start about 2-5am or they carry until the sun rise then wear it ?

I wear Sunglass from start of race.

Oakley does but very ex. I m not sure how much. Remy Ong prescription sunglass is oakley factory since Oakley sponsors him.

Call up a few dealer but some say up to 300degree some up to 400 degree , ruddy project got think before but don't like as nice as M frame , do you know any place I can do for above 500 degree

And if marathon start at 2am and you wearing sunglasses in the dark , won't it be very dark

for me i use the radar, but degree not as high as yours. I use it for cycling too. I use the yellow lens for early morning runs and cycle.

Mine is prescriptions sunglasses using Oakley Whisker frame. Degrees is 200+, still doable, but I'm not quite sure about the higher power. Mine is full frame, so easier to do, those half jacket kinda tough, or at least to those shop I asked.

Apparently, the yellow black, armstrong model? can be done as well. Looks sporting enough.

Mine is prescriptions sunglasses using Oakley Whisker frame. Degrees is 200+, still doable, but I'm not quite sure about the higher power. Mine is full frame, so easier to do, those half jacket kinda tough, or at least to those shop I asked.

Apparently, the yellow black, armstrong model? can be done as well. Looks sporting enough.

which shop/outlet do you get them fitted? my degrees is about the same as yours.

The Oakley range are really nice but quite ex.

Because of the sporty curve profile, the optician advised that there maybe distortion in term of line of view. How is your experience?

But I really like some of the Oakley designs :)

I used before Rayban RB series (conservative design) but lost it in the beach just into 4 weeks.

Currently I'm using Swissflex Champ. They are really light and I like it very much!

Also quite conservative design...simply because I conservative lor :)

But I only use it for Tri - Bike and Run brick or race.

For some reasons, I don't wear shades if purely running event or during training.

Well, please continue to contribute here because I also like to know what is available in the market. Thanks! :)

Call up a few dealer but some say up to 300degree some up to 400 degree , ruddy project got think before but don't like as nice as M frame , do you know any place I can do for above 500 degree

And if marathon start at 2am and you wearing sunglasses in the dark , won't it be very dark

I am about 800 degree. Even insert is challenging because of the curve. Maybe u check wif Oakley directly.

If marathon starts from 5am till day break, I will wear it.

So usually what color is suitable for the dark before the sun is up ? So that whatever you see is not pitch black

If not think I will have to go with Maya flip up , spec mode before sun rise , shade mode when sun is up

Go for lasik and after that can wear whatever sunglass you want as and when without problem. And cheaper too in the long run

So usually what color is suitable for the dark before the sun is up ? So that whatever you see is not pitch black

If not think I will have to go with Maya flip up , spec mode before sun rise , shade mode when sun is up

I think it is ok lah. Juz trust ur instinct when u run.

after much consideration , i think i will be choosing genetyk

Thinking shd i get a blue yellow combination or blue white

Considering that if the frame fit other color lens

What do you call the lens that cannot see thru your eye , like mirror like that ?

I am about 800 degree. Even insert is challenging because of the curve. Maybe u check wif Oakley directly.

If marathon starts from 5am till day break, I will wear it.

For your Ekynox, is the prescription those of the clip-on type? Is there any distortion? I m about the same degree as you and I have trouble finding sunglasses that suits my needs.

For your Ekynox, is the prescription those of the clip-on type? Is there any distortion? I m about the same degree as you and I have trouble finding sunglasses that suits my needs.

It is a clip-on. There is some form of distortion. As i am used to it, it is fine with me.

I did mine at Capital Optical IIRC at Tebrau City Jusco in JB.

But you can try asking the guys here in Singapore. I believe they do have a branch here as well.

which shop/outlet do you get them fitted? my degrees is about the same as yours.

Anyone here uses transitions lenses for running as an alternative to sunglasses? Does it work as well as sunglasses?

Anyone here uses transitions lenses for running as an alternative to sunglasses? Does it work as well as sunglasses?

I personally wear transition lenses... If you're looking to shield your eyes from the brightness of the Sun, don't bother with transition lenses, get real sunglasses.

I personally wear transition lenses... If you're looking to shield your eyes from the brightness of the Sun, don't bother with transition lenses, get real sunglasses.

Thanks but cant wear contact lenses so sunglasses is not really an option unless if I opt for inserts which are kind of heavy and there will be distortion. Also wearing sunglasses with inserts will be a little too dark for runs that start at 5am, so thought transition lenses might be a good compromise.

Ongaku: 2 options:

1. Put on contact lense then you do not need any prescription sung;lass. Any sunglass will do.

2. Go get lasik. In the long run, I would think that is more convenient for sports.

Nowadays lasik is safe and suitable for almost everybody. There are various options available even for those with super high degree. The average cost of lasik is about $2500 to $3000 and lasik is good for almost a life time.

Compare this with having prescription glasses which nowadays average about $400 and have to be replaced every 2 years. Plus one probably need a spare pair in case of breakage etc. Add to that, the fogging of the glasses when transiting from cold to hot places, eating noodles or even from sports activities. And of course the problem of wearing sun glass. Even contacts will cost about $300.00 a year so the cost of the lasik can be easily justified over 5 years.

some basic question to ponder.....is sunglasses really needed? I used to think so until i got one recently. I wear normal glasses (~200deg) during my runs which start at about 6.30am. Just after 8 (on a relatively sunny day), the sun starts to come out. I changed to sunglass (with inserts) but just couldnt really get used to it. Reasons?

- Much bigger than my normal glasses (for more protection)

- because of the size, i cant wipe the sweat from my face so easily as the access is blocked by the big shades

- insert does bring a very slight distortion mainly

- hug a bit too tight to my face especially near the ears area which can result in some discomfort vs the 'loose' fitting normal spec

So, my sunglasses are mainly used for my rides which I feel is much more essential as the sun can really get into your eyes when riding and safety and control can become an issue.

Any regular sunglass wearer can comment?