Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

socrates

Preparing for Sundown marathon in 1 months time

About a month ago, decided to combine my end of year holiday with a marathon at Mt Fuji ! 1st time doing 2 marathons in a year and after the good experience of running in good cool weather in perth, decided to give it another go. Been doing my usual runs from June along with saturday 20 km runs. Just did a 30 km run today.

About a month ago, decided to combine my end of year holiday with a marathon at Mt Fuji ! 1st time doing 2 marathons in a year and after the good experience of running in good cool weather in perth, decided to give it another go. Been doing my usual runs from June along with saturday 20 km runs. Just did a 30 km run today.

Does Mt Fuji marathon requires some climbing???

Thanks lazyitachi

The marathon is actualy around 2 lakes which are near Mt Fuji. This is the course map

http://global.fujisan-marathon.com/en-us/Full-Marathon/Course-Map

Was thinking of trying to break my 3 hr 30 min target but looks like some steep climb at the 24 km mark which is going to be a massive challenge!

My perth marathon had 700+ runners this one is a massive 12000 + runners. Hopefully wont be crowded out to run properly..

Autumn runner are you going for any marathons in the coming months?

Wow.. just read your race report in detail..

Good to know that humidity and the climate makes such a big difference

Seems a lot of good things happening = PB ;)

I hope to soon enjoy a run outside of the humidity and not be a sweaty mess as well :D

I am gonna do the Chiang Mai marathon in dec but will still be humid (but not as hot) with an early 3 am start...

lazytaichi.... i am running the osaka marathon next weekend..... sounds so near..... now is tapering period....

go for your pb.... if there is only 1 climb along the route, then it sounds do-able...

lazytaichi.... i am running the osaka marathon next weekend..... sounds so near..... now is tapering period....

go for your pb.... if there is only 1 climb along the route, then it sounds do-able...

Nice :clapping:

Taper well and gl for the coming race!

Nice :clapping:

Taper well and gl for the coming race!

thanks.... trying hard to control the lower mileage and to stay injury free.... very impt.....

All the best for the Osaka marathon. Do give us a report on how the experience is like. I am sure it will be a good run for you. I hope you will also enjoy a holiday there at the same time.

thanks Socrates...yup... will definitely produce some good race review.... i wasn't confident that I can produce it on the same day of the race though...hahah......

Wow.. just read your race report in detail..

Good to know that humidity and the climate makes such a big difference

Seems a lot of good things happening = PB ;)

I hope to soon enjoy a run outside of the humidity and not be a sweaty mess as well :D

I am gonna do the Chiang Mai marathon in dec but will still be humid (but not as hot) with an early 3 am start...

Chiang Mai at that time in December can be quite cold especially with a start at 3 am. Be prepared to run with 2 shirts and even gloves at least for the start. Might be best when you get there to see how cold it might be early in the morning. I am sure you will find it very different running in the cooler climates. Enjoy it.

Just 15 days to go for the fujisan marathon. It has not been easy training for this marathon with haze and my own boredom with long runs. Have been finding windows during the haze period to go for runs in order to keep going. Thank God there were days or times during the day where the haze cleared for a while.

Since July to now I have done my usual 4 -5 weekday runs of 10 to 15 km runs and about 14 Sat runs which is about 21 km. Also did 3 long 30 km to 33 km runs. I have not been so intense in my training as compared to the other 4 previous marathons preparations. in all my long runs I have taken 2 or 3 drinking breaks where I just sat down, taken off my shoes (to relief to aching feet from the heat expansion from long runs) and rested for 10 to 15 mins something which I hardly did in the past. I am not too sure how this will affect my marathon preparations but the result I have very much less body aches from continued long running.

The best was 2 Saturdays ago when I ran to Marina barrage and found that there was some pet event going on. I had already ran 15 km to get there and took the chance to look at pets and discovered they were giving free muah chee and nuts to anybody. So I rested for about 30 mins and ate my 'energy bar of muah chee' before going on another 10 km to St Wilfrids in Bendemeer for a drinking break from there I made another 8 km to reach home to total 33 km.

The last 30 km run was on deepavali holiday where I ran the pongol and serangoon park connector. It was crowded with so many cyclists and people on the connector especially visiting coney island. Ran for 15 km before taking a break with my shoes off and then did another 10 km to reach a small McDonalds in ang mo kio to reward myself with an ice cream cone and again rest my aching feet. After that finished with another 5 km. Was so happy to know that I have finished my final long preparation run.

Now realise how tough it is too train for 2 marathons in a year. Have had to do more than double the amount of long runs of 20 km + (compared to last year) non stop from Jan till now. It gets very boring and many times I have to just drag myself out but I am looking forward to the cool or cold weather of the fujisan marathon with beautiful scenery.

Leaving tomorrow morning to Osaka, will be there for a few days before going to the Mt fuji area for the marathon. Wonder anybody else in this forum going for this marathon.

Leaving tomorrow morning to Osaka, will be there for a few days before going to the Mt fuji area for the marathon. Wonder anybody else in this forum going for this marathon.

Not many sgrunners will be doing this event as it is still a small scale event by standard.

I only get to know this event when one of my run kakis did this event and had good review for it. Not to forget our forum's last year thread on Fujisan marathon which I get to know more about it.

All the best to your Fujisan race! Enjoy the nice sceneries and crowd support there!

Now in Osaka, went for a short morning 5 km run to recce the area and orientate myself to the surroundings. Spend the rest of the day touring, enjoying the sites walking and enjoying the autumn scenery. .

The weather is not as cold as I thought it might be but always so shiok running in this type of weather .

Did my last run yesterday along the river yodo Osaka. Ran for 10 km stopped a inert And there to take pictures. The rest of the time sight seeing, plenty of walking and eating quite a lot. Carbon load with a lot of yummy Japanese rice and udon!

Ran the Fujisan marathon at lake kawaguichiko on 29th Nov Sunday. This was not a run up Mt Fuji as some people thought when I told them about this marathon but around the lakes which are close to mt Fuji. Compared to the perth run I did in June this was a much bigger (and colder as well) run with 8000 + people taking part in the marathon.

The marathon itself started at 9 am but I was there at about 7.45 am. The temp then was about 3 deg and I was fully protected with my winter jacket etc. Only at about 8 10 am, did I change down to my running attire of 2 shirts, shorts, gloves, neck warmer and crucially a very large plastic bag. Had earlier read from a blogger about wearing a plastic bag or a light rain coat pre run to protect against the cold and I was glad that I managed to pick up 2 very large plastic bags at the airport. It certainly helped keep me a bit warm while waiting for the run to start. Was very far back from the start line with the big crowd but was just very glad to get going when the race was flagged off to start get going. My goal was always to try break the 3 hr 30 min target so I set upon myself to try to go at a 5 min per km pace. I was not so sure of my pace at the beginning with so many runners and new surroundings. As it turned out when I checked my garmin watch everybody was running at quite a fast pace. After about 2 km , ditched my plastic bag as the body started to warm up and took off my neck warmer. Really thank God that it was a nice blue sky day in the lake area and during the run had good views of Mt Fuji and the lakes around it which made the temp about 6 deg during the run. I cannot imagine doing a run if it was even drizzling a little which would have lowered temp a lot. Also had my own fun during the run, taking videos/ pictures of the surroundings with my phone as well as selfies with runners dressed a samurai warrior, a goat and a tiger. There was even an ostrich runner but could not catch up with him as he was just too fast! There were many water points throughout the run and as I had learnt from perth in cold countries , I did not have to drink too much just a cup every 8 km till the 28 km mark where I stopped drinking and focused on finishing the run. Was expecting energy gels but too my surprise we were supplied with chocolate. It was nice but if found it hard to eat chocolate on the run and a lot of it was stuck in my teeth. The community was also out in support, there were many standing by the roads cheering and encouraging . Even some 7-11, hotel staff, fireman, policeman stood outside cheering the runners on, waving little flags and others set up little tables to with energy drinks, tea, sweets for the runners. Hotels, shops, 7-11 shops etc also had signboards outside welcoming runners to use their toilet facilities as well. Really great feeling to have this kind of support compared to running in the dark in Singapore when most were asleep. I completed the 1st 21 km in about 1 hr 45 min and then came the steep 1 km or so climb at the 22 km which reduce my pace a lot.

After that at about the 28 km mark, was beginning to feel the strain on my left hamstring and a bit on my right but the most pain were coming from my toes once again. Did not have this problem with toes in the cool weather of perth but it occurs in Singapore during long runs where I would stop, take a break, take off my shoes and rest the feet for a while. Not so sure if it is due to shoes (was wearing the same brand as in perth) over exercise or just my feet. Anyway had to push on with the run and was afraid that if I stopped I would get cramps and other strains and not be able to continue. In mind was also the 3 hr 30 min target and I pushed on as best as I could. In the end I finished in 3 hr 32 min which is about 1 min faster my perth run and my fastest so far.

Unlike perth though where I felt that I had plenty of extra gas in the last 10 km, here I was pushing / struggling hard and running low on gas. After crossing the finishing line, it was nice to have little school children put the finishing medal around the runners neck. I walked around for about 15 mins or so before suddenly the effects of the cold begin to take effect as I started to shiver a lot and feel very weakened. I figure out that having stopped running, the body stops producing heat and now I know why they give out space blankets at some marathons! I quickly put on another 3 layers of clothing and winter jacket and the 3 bowls of super good hot Japanese soup made by Japanese aunties helped warm me down. Unlike perth where I was feeling super after the marathon, here I was shivering, walking slowly with my aching feet. Maybe it is to do with the temp, in perth the run started cold at 7 deg but ended with the temp at about 17 deg while here it was under 10 deg and with a cold wind as well. At least I now know what is my ideal temp to run. I have basically trained throughout the whole year for 2 marathons and thank God that I have remained injury free and that I have had good experiences both in Perth and in Japan.

I encourage everybody to try running overseas, it so much more refreshing with the scenery and the weather. Even if it is not a marathon, just go for short runs in the mornings wherever you maybe holidaying.

Here are some stats from my garmin

Distance 42.35 km

Avg Pace 5:01 min/km

Calories 2,666 C

Time 3:32:24

Max elev 953 m

Min elev 829 m

Elev Gain 606 m (never recorded such a large number for elevation before !)

Ran the Fujisan marathon at lake kawaguichiko on 29th Nov Sunday. This was not a run up Mt Fuji as some people thought when I told them about this marathon but around the lakes which are close to mt Fuji. Compared to the perth run I did in June this was a much bigger (and colder as well) run with 8000 + people taking part in the marathon.

The marathon itself started at 9 am but I was there at about 7.45 am. The temp then was about 3 deg and I was fully protected with my winter jacket etc. Only at about 8 10 am, did I change down to my running attire of 2 shirts, shorts, gloves, neck warmer and crucially a very large plastic bag. Had earlier read from a blogger about wearing a plastic bag or a light rain coat pre run to protect against the cold and I was glad that I managed to pick up 2 very large plastic bags at the airport. It certainly helped keep me a bit warm while waiting for the run to start. Was very far back from the start line with the big crowd but was just very glad to get going when the race was flagged off to start get going. My goal was always to try break the 3 hr 30 min target so I set upon myself to try to go at a 5 min per km pace. I was not so sure of my pace at the beginning with so many runners and new surroundings. As it turned out when I checked my garmin watch everybody was running at quite a fast pace. After about 2 km , ditched my plastic bag as the body started to warm up and took off my neck warmer. Really thank God that it was a nice blue sky day in the lake area and during the run had good views of Mt Fuji and the lakes around it which made the temp about 6 deg during the run. I cannot imagine doing a run if it was even drizzling a little which would have lowered temp a lot. Also had my own fun during the run, taking videos/ pictures of the surroundings with my phone as well as selfies with runners dressed a samurai warrior, a goat and a tiger. There was even an ostrich runner but could not catch up with him as he was just too fast! There were many water points throughout the run and as I had learnt from perth in cold countries , I did not have to drink too much just a cup every 8 km till the 28 km mark where I stopped drinking and focused on finishing the run. Was expecting energy gels but too my surprise we were supplied with chocolate. It was nice but if found it hard to eat chocolate on the run and a lot of it was stuck in my teeth. The community was also out in support, there were many standing by the roads cheering and encouraging . Even some 7-11, hotel staff, fireman, policeman stood outside cheering the runners on, waving little flags and others set up little tables to with energy drinks, tea, sweets for the runners. Hotels, shops, 7-11 shops etc also had signboards outside welcoming runners to use their toilet facilities as well. Really great feeling to have this kind of support compared to running in the dark in Singapore when most were asleep. I completed the 1st 21 km in about 1 hr 45 min and then came the steep 1 km or so climb at the 22 km which reduce my pace a lot.

After that at about the 28 km mark, was beginning to feel the strain on my left hamstring and a bit on my right but the most pain were coming from my toes once again. Did not have this problem with toes in the cool weather of perth but it occurs in Singapore during long runs where I would stop, take a break, take off my shoes and rest the feet for a while. Not so sure if it is due to shoes (was wearing the same brand as in perth) over exercise or just my feet. Anyway had to push on with the run and was afraid that if I stopped I would get cramps and other strains and not be able to continue. In mind was also the 3 hr 30 min target and I pushed on as best as I could. In the end I finished in 3 hr 32 min which is about 1 min faster my perth run and my fastest so far.

Unlike perth though where I felt that I had plenty of extra gas in the last 10 km, here I was pushing / struggling hard and running low on gas. After crossing the finishing line, it was nice to have little school children put the finishing medal around the runners neck. I walked around for about 15 mins or so before suddenly the effects of the cold begin to take effect as I started to shiver a lot and feel very weakened. I figure out that having stopped running, the body stops producing heat and now I know why they give out space blankets at some marathons! I quickly put on another 3 layers of clothing and winter jacket and the 3 bowls of super good hot Japanese soup made by Japanese aunties helped warm me down. Unlike perth where I was feeling super after the marathon, here I was shivering, walking slowly with my aching feet. Maybe it is to do with the temp, in perth the run started cold at 7 deg but ended with the temp at about 17 deg while here it was under 10 deg and with a cold wind as well. At least I now know what is my ideal temp to run. I have basically trained throughout the whole year for 2 marathons and thank God that I have remained injury free and that I have had good experiences both in Perth and in Japan.

I encourage everybody to try running overseas, it so much more refreshing with the scenery and the weather. Even if it is not a marathon, just go for short runs in the mornings wherever you maybe holidaying.

Here are some stats from my garmin

Distance 42.35 km

Avg Pace 5:01 min/km

Calories 2,666 C

Time 3:32:24

Max elev 953 m

Min elev 829 m

Elev Gain 606 m (never recorded such a large number for elevation before !)

Congrats on a good run, Socrates.

As I will be running under similar conditions in Tokyo in Feb, grateful for your pointers on your running attire. Have you used arm warmers before? thinking of using them.

Hello run4yourlife

I have not used arm warmers before So I cannot comment on that.

To me the most crucial is to stay warm before the race. To me the thrash bag was super important to keep me somewhat warm while waiting for the race to start. My 100Yen daiso neck warmer was also very helpful to stay warm. Without the trash bag I would have frozen before the start of the race !

Once the run starts, after a few km you will warm up and generally I think the 2 shirts would be good enough. I even took off my gloves after about 6 km and only put them back on towards the end when I felt cold again. I always run in shorts that have pockets so that I can keep my gloves, neck warmer and use them when needed.

Enjoy your tokyo run, it is sure to be a great experience.

Already 4 years since my first marathon and first ever sundown marathon in 2012.  Did my last sundown in 2014 and then did 2 overseas run in 2015 in perth and mt fujisan. Will not be taking part this year's sundown nor have I have targeted any overseas marathons. However I am still running about 5 to 6 times a week, trying to do a 21 km run on saturdays, and totaling a distance of about eighty km  a week and . So in that sense I am still in  training but just less intense and at a more relaxing pace.

Might just identify  an overseas run to take part in at year end.  Meanwhile all the best to everybody running the sundown this year, hope the weather is good and everybody stay injury free and have a happy run. 

Not taking part this year but all the best taking part in this weekend's sundown. Run a good and safe run everybody.

10 hours ago, socrates said:

Not taking part this year but all the best taking part in this weekend's sundown. Run a good and safe run everybody.

thanks Socrates... hope it's still an enjoyable run afterall...