Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

socrates

Preparing for Sundown marathon in 1 months time

Hey Socrates,

Do take care! Running at night certainly does have its risks.

I notice that you do clock a decent amount of mileage. Just wondering what sort of runs are those? Are they solely longish ones at your intended marathon pace? Or do you do any speedwork/tempo as well?

I don't do interval runs. Most of m weekday runs about 3 to 4 are from 10 to 12 km. try to hit a decent pace but sometimes just cannot because of tiredness from work. my sat run is he designated long run day doing 20 to 30+ km . End off with Sunday another 10 to 12. Km day. My vital run is the Saturday run where I have more time to rest before the run, don't have to rush the run as well. Here I try to go at the pace I am aiming for the marathon . In my first year 2012 was target a pace of 5'30 or so to go under 4 hours. That was more to just complete the run as it was my first marathon. In 2013 , I was aiming for a better timing. I aimed for a pace of 5'15 which I did somewhat comfortably in training runs and was pleased to be able to do an average of 5'13 " in the end. For this year , there have been some runs I have been going close from 5 to 5'15, I am trying to aim for a better timing but yet to decide on what sort of pace i should be targeting. Perhaps right now looking at 5'10 as I don think I cannot hold out a 5 for the whole 42 km. anyway shall decide later.

As for interval training, I have read about but never really tried it. I do even own a HRM but don't like wearing it as it feels somewhat uncomfortable. It does seem from I have read a good way to improve performance. Too late for me to try for this marathon though.

Race pack collection this weekends and as has been my tradition for the last 2 years, I shall run to collect it and make it my last long run before the sundown itself! Yeah.

Today Saturday ran about 20 km to Suntec from Serangoon via braddel road via lornie road via botanical gardens (good place for a water cooler break) via river valley via Singapore River. Reached there at about 6.50 pm .Collected everything without issue.

Then went to try the 890v4 Rome edition. Liked the colour but they only had 9.5 but no 2E version. Fitted well but compared to my SAF issue asics it was certainly narrower. In the end settled for the London size 9.5 2E version which was wider and more like the width of my asics. There were all around good discounts for lots of running gear like the garmin watches which is certainly also a good deal with the new balance shoes. Glad to be able to drink 3 cups of 100+ as well before I set off to run back via the busy road with the NB shoes in the big race bag slinged on my right shoulder. Ran by raffles hotel, bugis and must have looked very weird. Ran by jalan besar stadium and then to Boon Keng. A lot of start and stop due to the traffic lights.

About 24 km mark , I could not resist going to Boon Keng market for a $1.20 chendol. Others take power gels etc I take chendol ! Took a train back to Serangoon MRT then did a further 3 km with the big race bag slung over my right shoulder to end with a distance of 27.2 km in 2 hrs 23 mins and a pace of 5'16'. Thanks to Jas007 and others in the main Sundown thread for the shoe recommendation and advice, will try it out tomorrow. :turned:

For rest of this week passed, I did 12 .3 km runs from Tuesday to Thursday maintaining about the same pace of about 5'13' Will probably do the same on Sunday with the new shoes as . Will have to decide whether I go with the high tech NB 890v4 or my tried and tested SAF issued Asics! 2 weeks more.

i say ... go with the tried and tested SAF issued Asics!!!!

ít's gone thru thick and thin with you this SD training ...

the least you could do is to give it one last glorious outing (possibly)

it deserves that much respect from you

the 890v4 is for another time ...

why rush ?

there probably not much pros to be gained from using it at the last minute

even if you do achieve your set timed goal ... it's probably down to you and your training

BUT the downside is far more ... could be most devastating !

i shan't list what could go wrong ...

the old saying ... dun try anything new last minute !

i think not worth it if you gonna push hard to see if 890 would work for you ...

and if you do not push ... then you would not know for certain how the new shoes might perform over the whole FM ...

so i ask u ... why risk it ?

you are all ready to achieve yet another PB with the old one ... you know it inside out ... but same can't be said for the new pair !

go with the old pair ... a memorable finish to an old friend

start a new chapter with the new pair ... SCSM ?

After buying the New balance 890v4, did 4 runs with it this week each about 11 to 12. 5 km. Nice and light also felt like I was wearing 'heals' perhpas because of the pods and cushioning at the heels of the shoes. No adverse effect on my feet after using it, today Sat I will try it out for a longer run between 15 to 20 km. The last long run before the sundown next week!

How did your 15-20km longer run go with your v4s?

Two months ago I purchased the RC1600. Pity that it seems to give me 'hot spots' on my forefeet when I do my faster runs, which are exactly what I bought it for. Will still be using it for my Sundown 10km, the pair's maiden race. My previous RC1400 pair purchased two years ago was faultless.

Up till today I have done 6 runs with the New balance 890v4. It has felt nice, light and comfortable The longest run with it was 20 km in 1hr 45 min (with quite a long break at the 15 km mark because I was mentally bored) on Saturday while the rest of the runs was between 10 to 13 km with it. No issue at all although I ideally I should have tried to do a run beyond 30 km with it because after 30 km I find the whole body starts to begin to react differently then before. I think I will be using the New balance 890v4 to run this year's sundown.

Up till today I have done 6 runs with the New balance 890v4. It has felt nice, light and comfortable The longest run with it was 20 km in 1hr 45 min (with quite a long break at the 15 km mark because I was mentally bored) on Saturday while the rest of the runs was between 10 to 13 km with it. No issue at all although I ideally I should have tried to do a run beyond 30 km with it because after 30 km I find the whole body starts to begin to react differently then before. I think I will be using the New balance 890v4 to run this year's sundown.

good show !

all the best bro :)

Thanks jas007 for the shoe recommendation. I think it is a good shoe especially when on good discounts. I will be looking pout for all those the new balance shoes as well, those who bought the boston will be glowing in the dark.

Did my last pre sundown run yesterday with a distance if 12.5 km at 5'05 pace. Today evening maybe just do a very quick 2.4 km and some cycling with strectching. Pasta for dinner as well.

Thursday ran 2.4 km for the final run before Saturday. Did lots of stretching after that. had the 1st pasta dinner tonight. Now have slight pain in my right front sole towards my toes. Not sure it is caused by the NB shoe and me going a t very fast pace for the 2.4 km. Bearable but hopefully and prayerfully it will go away quickly and be a factor for the Sundown !

aiyo ... last min liao why do quick 2.4KM ??? me no understand

dun think so much liao ...

thk no turning back to old shoes !

you're committed to NB liao!

all the best .... *add oil*

Morning of the my 3 rd sundown. Hope to be able to do a consistent pace of about 5'10" thorugh the race hopefully not have to go toilet or get any leg cramps. Will be having more pasta for lunch, Drink lots of the water through the day as well, a good afternoon nap, some evening stretching and then a not so heavy dinner of bread.

All the best to everybody, run safely and have fun !

Morning of the my 3 rd sundown. Hope to be able to do a consistent pace of about 5'10" thorugh the race hopefully not have to go toilet or get any leg cramps. Will be having more pasta for lunch, Drink lots of the water through the day as well, a good afternoon nap, some evening stretching and then a not so heavy dinner of bread.

All the best to everybody, run safely and have fun !

Good luck Socrates! May all your hardwork be rewarded!

Completed my 3rd Sundown, According to my Garmin the total distance was 42.42 km,

Time: 3:42:25 Moving Time: 3:41:24 Elapsed Time: 3:42:54 Avg Speed: 11.4 km/h Avg Moving Speed: 11.5 km/h Max Speed: 65.7 km/h Avg Pace: 5:15 min/km Avg Moving Pace:

5:13 min/km

The 1st 15 km seem to go by very fast, feeling good. However my pace was perhaps a bit too fast and not consistent enough I feel. Did the 1st 21 km in 1 hr 44 min. Started to drink a lot more 100+ from 22 km onwards but the good thing did not have to waste time to go to the toilet this year. Did not take an energy gels as well through out the run and just relied on a banana before the run and 100+. Running with not so many people in the east coast part from 22 km onwards but that changed after 32 km , where I joined up with the 21 km runners. Not sure that was good or bad but had to start weaving through people again and it also started to run as well. Beyond 32 km it was really more a struggle, unlike previous years this time I could not really find the extra mental determination to push hard towards the end. This was despite from 32 km onwards my physical condition was better than last year when I started feeling cramps coming up on both tighs and right leg. This year the only real problem was my right feet and toes which hurt quite a bit despite wearing my new balance 840v4 size 9.5 2E (my normal size is 9.) I think I would need a change of right shoe size to 10 2E after 26 km or so ! Anyway thanks Jas007 for your recommendation for the shoes. The sheares bridge was probably a factor as well and I decided then that walking would be faster than running up, would have definitely prefer last year's route. Also had to stop at road junction for the cars to move after MBS which did not help the timing. But anyway I knew by then getting a personal best timing was already out of the question and I was just aiming to keep going and not stop. This year seem a lot more tough than last year, not sure if is because of the route or the high humidity or just me getting old.

After finishing the run, forced myself to walk quite bit, drink tons of 100+ and 2 bottles of maxifuel milk to avoid feeling faint/blackout which happened to me last year. Got home at about 7 am, rested and then went to church to give thanks to God that even though I did not get a better timing but I still managed to complete the run and my physical condition during the run and after was also much better.

Will I be back for 4th Sundown? I am not so sure. The first was a great thrill to complete a marathon, the second was about going for a good timing but now the 3rd seemed a whole lot tougher perhaps because of the conditions, the route or my own lack of drive after 32 km. Preparing for preparations also takes up lots of time. Been running 4 to 5 10 km to 12 km per week and 1 long run of more than 20 to 36 km on Saturdays since Feb. If I just did 21 km, it would be less time consuming and also surely less painful! Also getting a little bored running in Singapore especially the east coast never ending route. Maybe should look for an experience of running a 42 km in country with less humidity/lower temp and in the day light. Anyway thanks to all the good advice and encouragement I have received in this forum.

Congrats socrates for the finish, whether or not it was a PB! That timing sounds really good in Singapore, especially for this night race :goodjob: In fact, your first 21k sounds really quick even for a half-marathon race.

As for me, I'm sticking to my shorter distances of 10km just as I did during Sundown. Until I achieve some substantial improvement with my 10km, I will not move back up to the half or full marathon. Perhaps varying your racing distances would add some thrill and enjoyment to running? :)

Thanks immanence for your kind words. Perhaps too much training has taken out some extra push that I needed mentally in the end of the 42 km. Now I am eyeing perhaps doing an overseas marathon in Australia or Japan, that will surely give me incentive. also interested to see how I would do in cooler/less humid conditions and in the day time.

Keep going !

Another year, start of another update posts.

Once again since the beginning of this year I have started my 'Marathon training' with my weekly total 70 km to 80 km runs and a number of longer 20 to 30 km runs. I am preparing for a marathon but I don't know which one !

I did not sign up for the Sundown like in the last 3 years because I feel like doing something different. Hopefully get to do one abroad where I can run in the day light and where the weather is not as humid as Singapore. Meanwhile just keep running.

Nice.. 70 - 8 0 km weekly mileage!

I think everyone here will have these thoughts sometimes esp after running a few years.

The route is quite same every year so doing some overseas run is always a good goal! :D

Maybe gold coast? :D same day?

Socrates, sounds like preparation is going well. Are you including any types of workouts besides the long run?

I've started increasing my mileage as well ever since I started taking running seriously last year. I'm hoping to run a bit of middle-long track and field this year. As I'm still in my base phase, I've been during mostly aerobic running with the occasional fartleks or low-key races. Been plagued with an injury and illness that has taken me of running for nearly 2 weeks. Nearly recovered right now, hoping to ease back into the mileage, maintain another short cycle of base training before getting more race specific.

With regard to Sundown, I know I can't perform optimally running through the wee hours of the night either. A daylight run overseas, for a change, sounds like a refreshing idea.

All the best with your training. Run well, rest well and keep injury free!

wah so strong.. my weekday longer runs are 13k and 16k only.

The other 10k or less.

Do you also do longer long run? or just 3 main long runs?

Training for my first Marathon also 17km per session next session will hit 20km 3 times per week

Hi Damon.... how long have you been running and how is the training so far?? one needs to be rather careful with such high mileage runs especially if they are week after week....

Damon, I think 20km 3 times per week is quite intense. In my 2nd marathon , I trained quite hard at it an got injured after the sundown. After that I learnt how important it was to do stretching, rolling for IBT and crucially strengthening for core muscles. Since then okay.

May be you should keep 20 km to once a week. be careful not to overdo it.