Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dvdwng

Seoul International Marathon 2012

2012 Seoul International Marathon

http://marathon.donga.com/seoul/international_e1.html#

Date: 18th March 2012

Time: 08:00am

Start: Gwanghwamun Plaza

Finish: Jamsil Olympic Main Stadium

*Cut-off time of 5 hours

Online registration opens 1st Dec 2011

Was there this year with temp 0-3 degrees at the start (with rain) but was a great crowd. Course was very flat except for a short bridge crossing the river towards the end. Water points are 5km apart and surprisingly, they even have sponge stations between water points.

Very fast pace. Nobody walks except towards the end, which is understandable. Did my PB there.

quite keen to do an oversea FM, maybe this will be my virgin oversea FM. Wonder if the weather will be too cold for us, saw the photo of most runners just run with shorts and singlet (steady). anyone keen too ?

5hrs cut off is quite a fast pace..

Can lah! You can do under 5 hrs in PBIM, I am sure in colder weather is very possible for you.

quite keen to do an oversea FM, maybe this will be my virgin oversea FM. Wonder if the weather will be too cold for us, saw the photo of most runners just run with shorts and singlet (steady). anyone keen too ?

i got my pb in seoul... the weather is about 1 deg celsius... to me, that's the perfect temperature to do a "fast" marathon... the route is very flat except for a short 1~2km around 30-something-km... (i think)... i remembered they got wave start... i was in the last wave and started about 20mins behind... but the closing is based on chip time... its a nice marathon to run fast, if you not scared of cold... :)

Less than 20% of SCMS finishers can make the cut off time.

true... i can never run faster than 5:40 in singapore (2001)... but i can run faster than a 4:40 in seoul (2009)... if you can't run in hot and humid weather like me in singapore and love cooling weather in the single digit degree celsius, this is THE race for you... :)

ripley, thanks for all the info.

I have decided to do the Kyoto marathon since someone has managed to transfer his slot to me.

All the best to you if you decided to do the Seoul Marathon in March. Cheers.

Going for a combined holiday + marathon. Will fly Wednesday midnight and stay there for 1 week.

Seoul was -6c yesterday !! Forecast for Sunday is between -2 and 10c.

didn't see both of you but congrats... i love seoul and the marathon... its awesome! i guess i will be going back again... this is one race that i enjoy myself running hard... :)

http://ripleyruns.bl...athon-2012.html

Hey Ripley. Read your blog. Great report. Brings back memories of the Seoul marathon I did in 2011 though it was freezing then and rainy but did my PB there. Pity you didn't get the timing you wanted but hope to meet up at the Comrades. See you there.

didn't see both of you but congrats... i love seoul and the marathon... its awesome! i guess i will be going back again... this is one race that i enjoy myself running hard... :)

Ripley, i think i saw u at LCCT departing for Incheon on friday 16/3 night. u were packing (or unpacking?! haha) at waiting area at the gate. But not confident if it was u. and then i thot i saw u again at LCCT on mon 19/3 afternoon. but of course not sure if it was u. anyway, your blog is again very informative :) i envy your 2012 calendar ... power! i and highly motivating! i need more training before making quantum leap to UM. i did enjoy seoul ... somehow feel it is a somewhat special place for me doing a run though a very few folks uttered a word in english during the run event. pretty decent and enjoyable event! cheers in korean "hwaiting" sounded like "fai di" (quick quick in cantonese) ;p should come back though not so soon.:)

Ripley, i think i saw u at LCCT departing for Incheon on friday 16/3 night. u were packing (or unpacking?! haha) at waiting area at the gate. But not confident if it was u. and then i thot i saw u again at LCCT on mon 19/3 afternoon. but of course not sure if it was u. anyway, your blog is again very informative :) i envy your 2012 calendar ... power! i and highly motivating! i need more training before making quantum leap to UM. i did enjoy seoul ... somehow feel it is a somewhat special place for me doing a run though a very few folks uttered a word in english during the run event. pretty decent and enjoyable event! cheers in korean "hwaiting" sounded like "fai di" (quick quick in cantonese) ;p should come back though not so soon. :)

OMG...they cannot tell the runner to "fai di"......they should say "jia you" or "gambateh". .....:-)

yeah ... it would mean 'Fight On' and it goes well with the Korean drums. easily fit into a scene such as an ancient battle field where troops being supported by drum beat in the background.

Hey Ripley. Read your blog. Great report. Brings back memories of the Seoul marathon I did in 2011 though it was freezing then and rainy but did my PB there. Pity you didn't get the timing you wanted but hope to meet up at the Comrades. See you there.

i have concentrated too much running UM... didn't have the leg speed but i know if i give myself 2-3 months specifically training for a marathon, i still can break 4hr 40mins... maybe next time... see you in Comrades then! :)

Ripley, i think i saw u at LCCT departing for Incheon on friday 16/3 night. u were packing (or unpacking?! haha) at waiting area at the gate. But not confident if it was u. and then i thot i saw u again at LCCT on mon 19/3 afternoon. but of course not sure if it was u. anyway, your blog is again very informative :) i envy your 2012 calendar ... power! i and highly motivating! i need more training before making quantum leap to UM. i did enjoy seoul ... somehow feel it is a somewhat special place for me doing a run though a very few folks uttered a word in english during the run event. pretty decent and enjoyable event! cheers in korean "hwaiting" sounded like "fai di" (quick quick in cantonese) ;p should come back though not so soon. :)

i can't remember but yes, i was at LCCT on friday nite and monday afternoon... next time can say halo... :)

anyone can plan for anything... its what you complete and what you learn after another year of running that counts... :)

oh yes, "hwaiting"... like "fighting"... but i didn't register a single korean word... :P