Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hellhole

GARMIN Forerunner 910XT

time to save up for xmas!

and of course.. who else by DCR has that review

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

The Ultimate Multisport Training Experience: Garmin Forerunner 910XT

October 4, 2011 - posted in Garmin Connect, Into Sports, Sponsored Athletes,

Forerunner910XT_HR_100.3 Whether you wear a wetsuit while participating in amateur triathlons, a life-vest while kayaking down river, or have a leash strapped between you and your paddle-board, we have the perfect device for you! Today we announced the Forerunner 910XT – the only all-in-one GPS-enabled device that provides detailed swim metrics and tracks distance, speed/pace, elevation and heart rate for running and cycling. The 910XT sports a sleek profile allowing users to easily slide wetsuits on and off, and has an on-board barometric altimeter for improved elevation data, all without sacrificing the size of its easy-to-read display. The Forerunner 910XT was announced in preparation for the Triathlon World Championship in Kona, HI, October 8, 2011, where it will be prominently displayed. Ben Collins

“Having one solution that provides athletes with all the metrics they are after is what the Forerunner 910XT is all about,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “Seeing swimming metrics suPip Taylorch as stroke count, stroke rate and stroke identification, and seeing running and cycling metrics such as pace, distance, heart rate and power, place the Forerunner 910XT in a class of its own.”

With Forerunner 910XT, swimming will never be the same again. Designed for both open water and pool swimming, Forerunner 910XT is water resistant to 50 meters and is Garmin’s first multisport watch to offer extensive swim Forerunner910XT_HR_101.2 metrics, including swim distance, stroke identification, stroke count and pool lengths. It also computes a user’s swolf score – the sum of the time for one length plus the number of strokes for that length. For example, 30 seconds plus 15 strokes equals a swolf score of 45. Swolf is a measurement of swimming efficiency and, like golf, lower is better. The 910XT’s robust design and easy operation make it suited for other water sports, including paddle boarding, kayaking and windsurfing to name a few. To see Forerunner 910XT in action, go to www.garmin.com/multi .

Matt Lieto When an athlete is ready to jump out of the water and onto the bike, Forerunner 910XT moves easily from wrist to handlebar with the optional quick release and bike mounts. Forerunner 910XT categorizes multisport activities in one workout and can also log transition time in the process, so triathletes can analyze their performance from start to finish. And with up to 20 hours of battery life, even hardcore endurance athletes can push themselves further than ever. Jeremy Rodgers

Forerunner 910XT uses a vibration motor for alerts such as heart rate, pace/speed and distance when audible tones

cannot be heard (heart monitor included in some bundles or available separately). With the heart rate monitor, Forerunner 910XT also allows athletes to track their training intensity via the Training Effect feature. By inputting key information into the watch, a user can measure the impact of an exercise regimen on their aerobic fitness.

In a true race against the clock, Forerunner 910XT adds Virtual Racer™. With this feature, Garmin has an answer for every excuse- no more, “I could have beaten that time”- where users can race themselves over their previous bests or against other users’ times. These can be taken from activities stored on the watch oJenny Fletcherr downloaded wirelessly from the huge and expanding Garmin Connect™ community (http://connect.garmin.com). Here users can quickly and easily log their workouts, track their totals, set goals, share workouts with friends and family and participate in an online fitness community of more than 70 million activities around the world. Also, users can now create and plan workoutsJosh Cox, and even design courses and send it all directly to your 910XT with the click of a button. Garmin Connect displays metrics such as time, distance, pace, elevation and heart rate. This information is shown through charts, illustrations, reports and a variety of map representations including street, photo, topographic, and elevation maps.

DurinJenny Kalmbachg and after the workout, Forerunner 910XT blends the best wireless connectivity of all of its predecessors in the Garmin fitness family, syncing wirelessly through ANT+™ technology with Garmin heart rate monitors and foot pods, compatible third-party fitness equipment and power meters, and the user’s PC or Mac for automatic data download. The Forerunner 910XT will be compatible with Garmin’s innovative power meter Vector™ and display independent left/right power.

probably next year ard Feb? there's quite some delay in the USA already and lots of forumeers soho pre order are complaining.

I'm a newbie when it comes to such devices...is the distance tracking function accurate for all of u so far?

good enough. accuracy within 99% normally for races.

woah!!!! with hrm for $540? how is the warranty details?

steady leh.. even amazon says can order from 15march onwards only.. hahah

Parisilk selling for $540 with HRM as well. Just got one from them.

Hi defcom81, just checking if your 910XT backlighting is uniform? I noticed the backlighting source seems to come from the top centre of the display, hence the 2 top corners are darker. Just checking if this is the norm. My 310XT backlighting is uniform across. Minor grouse but then again I tend to do my runs at night.

Parisilk selling for $540 with HRM as well. Just got one from them.

Hi defcom81, just checking if your 910XT backlighting is uniform? I noticed the backlighting source seems to come from the top centre of the display, hence the 2 top corners are darker. Just checking if this is the norm. My 310XT backlighting is uniform across. Minor grouse but then again I tend to do my runs at night.

Sounds like its normal then. Mine also appear bright only at the top while the sides are a bit screwed. Even the sides, the lines seems to have a break, like a ___-____ pattern on both sides.

Do you feel like the up and down buttons are more depressed inside, as if the rubber coating are hollow beneath it?

Yes the buttons certainly felt hollow like you described.. as if the rubber coating doesn't have a good fit to the buttons inside. The 910XT workmanship is certainly not on par with its predecessor 310XT which felt more solid and well made.

Yes the buttons certainly felt hollow like you described.. as if the rubber coating doesn't have a good fit to the buttons inside. The 910XT workmanship is certainly not on par with its predecessor 310XT which felt more solid and well made.

yup. but on the whole, the design does look better than the 310XT, but somehow, I prefer the screen of 310, not to mention the ease of pressing the buttons compared to the 910 which is like damn hard to depress.

kool!!! i am going to get mine soon!!! hope parissilk still have stock!

quick question... the 910xt can "turn off" like the 610?

also check.. if the version is firmware updated?

The latest FW is 2.20. So far no auto turn off. Never encounter with the 310XT too.

i do not mean auto turn off.

The 610 has a function that you can TURN OFF the watch totally when you do not want to use it. i trying to find if the 910 does that as well.

The latest FW is 2.20. So far no auto turn off. Never encounter with the 310XT too.

The 610 has a function that you can TURN OFF the watch totally when you do not want to use it. i trying to find if the 910 does that as well.

Oh, so far what I know is only powering down by pressing the power button and letting it shut down. Is there a deep shutdown, I'm not sure, and not that I read anywhere so far.

Oh, so far what I know is only powering down by pressing the power button and letting it shut down. Is there a deep shutdown, I'm not sure, and not that I read anywhere so far.

i think that is what i am referring to.. ie. the screen goes blank. much like you power down a PC.

anyway.. parissilk sold out liao. they say end of the week or so will have stock...

i think that is what i am referring to.. ie. the screen goes blank. much like you power down a PC.

anyway.. parissilk sold out liao. they say end of the week or so will have stock...

For those who can't wait can consider Allbright they have stock, but selling at $589 :(

Yup, press and hold will power down the 910, very much like the 305 and 310 too. :)

Took the 910XT out for a long run today. I strapped the 310XT and 910XT on both wrists to see how they perform relatively. The 910XT real-time pace information is absolutely terrible. I was doing a steady 5:30+min/km pace and the real-time pace data was jumping all over the place - alternating between 5 to 8min/km. The 310XT real-time pace was steady & reliable by comparison - around +/- 20sec. Uploaded both data to Garmin Connect and I attached the screenshots here to show what I mean.

I started the 910XT with the default "Smart Recording" mode but switched halfway to "Every Second" recording. Neither helped. Still jumpy. The 310XT was on "Smart Recording" all the time.

My 4-data fields has Distance, Time, Pace & Average Pace. The Average Pace is comparable between both. But Pace (real-time) is terrible. It's a disappointment since I wish to have the flexibility to check on my pace real-time rather than at the end of every 1km splits.

I checked online chatter on this issue and it seems that many are experiencing this as well. Hopefully a new firmware can fix this fast. (currently on version 2.2)

Well just sharing this observation with you guys.

20120211-ggatjm9krru7nnhbwx814wy9u3.png

20120211-bbhi77kjq5j6kikwa6qa6mrcf2.png