Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

polaris

Weight training for runners

I am planning to cut down on my running and take up other sport. My upper body is weak and barely do enough chin-up for my IPPT. My BMI is less than 20. any training guide available for me to gain strength and maintain BMI?

push up.. chin up...

surprisingly these are very good core training that does not build up too much bulk in your body

push up.. chin up...

surprisingly these are very good core training that does not build up too much bulk in your body

yes. I second that. Can upgrade to circuit training later. otherwise, try this:

- Go to the gym and start with the universal weights machine.

- For each exercise on the weight machine, try the maximum weight you can carry for 1 time and that your face don't turn purple.

- Do the same for each station and record the weights.

- For each weight recorded, reduce it by 15%. This will be your training load for each station.

- To train, start with a station and do between 10 to 15 reps within a minute. Control your motion, don't jerk.

- Do a 1 minute rest, go to the next station. Do the circuit 3 times. NO MORE. IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU BENEFITS and may injure you.

Do this 2 to 3 times a week. Evaluate your max load every month and then adjust your training load accordingly.

Start with 10 reps if you do not feel comfortable. Train safe. Do not need to rush.

good luck.

push up.. chin up...

this might be basic that are taught during n.s.

but they are indeed good

Swim (upper body), Bike (quads), Run and have lots of FUN!!! - be a triathlete, stretching with yoga or pilates method, strengthening with weights, practice chiqong, mountain climbing, try line skating.. all the running only makes your upper body a bit "not muncho" sportsman..

skip the machines.

barbell compound exercises are king. you will get the most bang for your bucks. squats and deadlift help develop strong legs and resilient knees and as a bonus give you a massive core and back workout.

read the following:

The Fitness Industry

to do some googling for programming and technique, i suggest Rippetoe, Smolov, Madcow 5x5, Stronglift 5x5.

my routine is something like this:

Workout A

3x5 Squat

3x5 Bench Press

1x5 Deadlift

dips - 3xamrap

Workout B

3x5 Squat

3x5 Standing military press

3x5 Pendlay Rows

chins/pullups - 3xamrap

alternate A and B on non consecutive days. dont go to the gym more often than 3 times a week. dont spend more than one hour. Win!

just my ten cents.

oh. not to forget: kettlebells. awesome stuff. many triathletes and mma gurus promote these gems.

skip the machines.

barbell compound exercises are king. you will get the most bang for your bucks. squats and deadlift help develop strong legs and resilient knees and as a bonus give you a massive core and back workout.

Totally agree! Barbell compound exercises are indeed king! The five most basic (and important) exercises are the deadlift, squat, bench press, snatch, and the clean and jerk. I swear by the full squat, which helped strengthened my lower limbs and knees.

But, form is very important. The hard part about these exercises is getting the technique and form right, and don't rush to increase the weight. Try to get someone experienced to guide you. Otherwise, it will be less effective and may even cause some serious injuries (I had my fair share of them when I first started out).

There is no need to worry too much about excessive hypertrophy (as if muscle mass were so easy to gain) as long as the volume of distance running>>volume of weight training. I am saying this in the perspective of a long distance runner, not a sprinter. If you find yourself lifting weights more often than running, you might have a change of heart...

For me, there's always a balance. But becasue I am a runner, so running must be my primary activity. Anything else is secondary. That includes biking and swimmming.

snatches, cleans and jerks are in particular not to be attempted without proficient guidance.

high injury potential there.

but if done correctly, extremely beneficial for strength development.

i forgot to mention. if pullup / IPPT is you only concern, look up the 100 pullup / 100 pushup websites and follow their routines.

can basically just focus on daily pull up progress.

I am working on the samething. My approach is different. I signed up GYM & hire personal trainer to guide me. Wif a good trainer that push me a lot, my running time improves despite not doing more running.

thanks for the replies esp to hellhole. yah. i need more strength to do other sport even activities like doing motorcycle lesson. as well as looking better. cos i look like a reverse weight trainer. my legs looks firm but body looks weak. lack of upper body training makes my back crack at 30km mark.

thanks for the replies esp to hellhole. yah. i need more strength to do other sport even activities like doing motorcycle lesson. as well as looking better. cos i look like a reverse weight trainer. my legs looks firm but body looks weak. lack of upper body training makes my back crack at 30km mark.

mr sven got a point.. can try out the 100 push up and 100 sit up and 100 pull up course.

its good and u can see improvement.... and u still can go running..

eat normally...

I can do 3 set of leg press (15 times/set) @ 109kg wif ease.

I have problem doing 3 set of chest press @ 60kg.

lack of upper body training makes my back crack at 30km mark.

It may or may not be weak back muscles. Lower back muscles are effectively trained with the deadlift. It could also be your running posture/form after becoming generally fatigued at the 30km mark.

I am planning to cut down on my running and take up other sport. My upper body is weak and barely do enough chin-up for my IPPT. My BMI is less than 20. any training guide available for me to gain strength and maintain BMI?

Go gym lah, army camp got FOC gym, dun need pay a single cent, use until u drop dead also can, do those assisted chin-up etc. Once u start to gym, u will gain muscle mass.

Try Kettlebell. The routines will make u stronger all round + core + cardio.

where can we get the kettle bells here in Sg at good prices?

pro kettlebells not cheap. available if u google or at aibi stores. others u can get from those online health supplement stores, others include liang seng sports, jmall.sg, and some specialty stores like sports xtreme.

update:

been some dumbbell workout for a month.. my back and abs is much stronger now. backache isnt that bad after my long run. but deadlift is hurting me my knees than marathon!

deadlift shouldnt hurt your knees but make them stronger.

make damn sure that your knees are always staying in line with your feet when squatting and deadlifting. never to travel inside!

you may want to try a wider stance with your feet pointing further outwards. this usually helps building more stability and avoiding the knees to move were they shouldnt.

Hi ! It feels good to swim after a gym session. Does it do any good or any harm doing that ? What is your opinion ?

bro Rayboy.. an old forum thread.. revived.. and uncle saw uncle's clone 5-o).. 05 July 2011 page 1.."Swim (upper body), Bike (quads), Run and have lots of FUN!!! - be a triathlete, stretching with yoga or pilates method, strengthening with weights, practice chiqong, mountain climbing, try line skating.. all the running only makes your upper body a bit "not muncho" sportsman.."

swim.. uncle's favourite.. actually this is best upper body.. core and gluts..with freestyle, just don't kick so aggressively..let legs glide..swim with hands..anchor, S-pull, high elbow exit.. aerobic (endurance).. good workout..

swim after gym.. of course..great.. water is "body in weightless" condition.. any injury that hurts while on land.. can be minimised in pool.. so can stretch those tired muscles in water.. and be cool (heart beat rate is low).. enjoying and relaxing.. also chance for uncle to show "toned" body.. swim endurance 60laps (3000m latest after sundown training for marathon) to impress babes and those die hard swimmers (go swim baby pool if cannot do even more than 4laps of fast kick freestyles).. also an alternative session to build more aerobic prowess without tiring legs (calves) with freestyle.. never want to do too much breaststrokes or frog style.. tire only shoulders and calves..just like another "stressed run" in water..

bro Rayboy.. an old forum thread.. revived.. and uncle saw uncle's clone 5-o).. 05 July 2011 page 1.."Swim (upper body), Bike (quads), Run and have lots of FUN!!! - be a triathlete, stretching with yoga or pilates method, strengthening with weights, practice chiqong, mountain climbing, try line skating.. all the running only makes your upper body a bit "not muncho" sportsman.."

swim.. uncle's favourite.. actually this is best upper body.. core and gluts..with freestyle, just don't kick so aggressively..let legs glide..swim with hands..anchor, S-pull, high elbow exit.. aerobic (endurance).. good workout..

swim after gym.. of course..great.. water is "body in weightless" condition.. any injury that hurts while on land.. can be minimised in pool.. so can stretch those tired muscles in water.. and be cool (heart beat rate is low).. enjoying and relaxing.. also chance for uncle to show "toned" body.. swim endurance 60laps (3000m latest after sundown training for marathon) to impress babes and those die hard swimmers (go swim baby pool if cannot do even more than 4laps of fast kick freestyles).. also an alternative session to build more aerobic prowess without tiring legs (calves) with freestyle.. never want to do too much breaststrokes or frog style.. tire only shoulders and calves..just like another "stressed run" in water..

Thanks, hohpapa for your reply and sharing. Cheers !