Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tahoch

Sundown vs Stanchart ?

I've completed 2 full marathons, but both were Sundown 42k's.

From what I have read, some people find Sundown tougher due to the late night fatigue effect (and overhead bridges previously).

But I also thought that StanChart is really a much hotter race since most of us will have to do it till 10am or later.

That would really zap the energy level, for me at least.

Wanted to find out from those who have done both - which is a faster run?

Also, I know there's really no 'easy' marathon, but is StanChart tougher than Sundown due to the heat?

Hi, I've done Standard Chartered marathon last year and the recent Sundown marathon, personally i prefer sundown because it was much more cooling and lots of water points as compared to standard chartered. Usually I would get very bad headache after morning races, but i felt okay after the sundown. I suppose this also have to depend on your usual training schedule as i usually train at night, so running at night would be better for me.

In my opinion, and let's compare stanchart 10 and sundown 11..

Organizers: stanchart, for a race with three starting points, give them credit.

Water points: sundown though the banana point could have done a better job..

Route: stanchart. Not every time you get to go under erp duty free.. =p

Challenge: stanchart. My pb for sundown always much better.. Prob cos of the straight flat route.

Crowd: sundown.. Stanchart has way too many Johnny walkers..

Hope it helps.

Hi, I've done Standard Chartered marathon last year and the recent Sundown marathon, personally i prefer sundown because it was much more cooling and lots of water points as compared to standard chartered. Usually I would get very bad headache after morning races, but i felt okay after the sundown. I suppose this also have to depend on your usual training schedule as i usually train at night, so running at night would be better for me.

yea, I also think SD is better. haha. for the first time I see someone think the same way about SD. Yes, i also prefer running at night. But then that was becos I was not really running at SD, so well, maybe run faster I will feel differently.

Unless they let FM runners run at 3am or sth at SCSM. Every year human jam and hot like hell. this year the jam gonna be worse with 10k more runners. haha. I am out!

I also don't think zzz monster affect much. At least got space for you to run. Not like SCSM

SD is better for me. Less human jam. Not so hot (for slower runners).

SCSM has more atmosphere - more crowds/supporters along the way, more interesting route.

So far I have always gotten better timings at SD even with PCN route(first 2 SD).

Thks, sounds like I will stick to SD :)

I dont do so well in hot sun, eg. Real Run.

For Sundown, traffic is a killer, every after year, it never improve...be prepare to go like 4-5 hours before the race. (by then, stomach empty !) will empty stomach affect performance? i can say...a bit.

For SCM, i just take a cab from the comfort of my home like 1.5 hour before..can relax, take pics. Feel fresh...

For Sundown, traffic is a killer, every after year, it never improve...be prepare to go like 4-5 hours before the race. (by then, stomach empty !) will empty stomach affect performance? i can say...a bit.

For SCM, i just take a cab from the comfort of my home like 1.5 hour before..can relax, take pics. Feel fresh...

talk about this... every year run SCSM before the race I scared I would have stomach pain while waiting for the race to start, then don't know where to go. LOL.

This year i carbo loaded right at race site. Just buy some food then drinks, sit there listen to the bands from Timbre eat drink relax wait for the race haha

I ran to toilet like 4 or 5 times before SD :lol:. was a real heaven to me :lol:

1) weather make not much difference to me.

2) for sundown, the terrible traffic jam, i was so worried that i would not reach in time.

3) sundown is a super boring route, dark dark and nothing to see. even at ECP, it is relative dark, sometimes can smell the bbq. much more thing to see at standchart.

4) water point wise, stand chart spread out over a longer distance. the waiting time for water is definitely much longer at sundown

5) for slow runner like me who will never face human jam, startchart is good.

so i prefer StanChart.

I usually train at night, so of course sundown was a better race for me. Ran several morning races and had to stop at water points and hydrate myself probably cos i wasnt used to running with the sun scorching on me...

Actually I thought if running 42km, whether at night or daytime, need to get fluids and hydration. I thought not possible to run 42km w/o hydration even at night? :unknw:

No doubt that SD will have better times. Even with the PCN route in SD 2008 I had better time than SCM2007.

But I prefer SCM because:

1. Much more interesting route and better atmosphere

2. Don't have to bother about traffic. I was one of the unlucky ones in SD2010 to walk 5K to start point.

3. More runner-friendly organization. SD organizer feels more commercial and cares less about runners IMHO.

Cheers!

SCM get sunburn.

SD get mosquito bites.

:yahoo:

You got bitten by mosquitos during SD or was it after the SD run?

For me, its everytime after i finished the marathon, will realised that i got biten by mosquitos sia.. 4 yrs straight in SD le.

maybe ECP mosquito love my blood. lol

SCM get sunburn.

SD get mosquito bites.

:yahoo:

You got bitten by mosquitos during SD or was it after the SD run?

For me, its everytime after i finished the marathon, will realised that i got biten by mosquitos sia.. 4 yrs straight in SD le.

maybe ECP mosquito love my blood. lol

So sorry to hear that. I ran at night during training, during SD and PAssion Run and so far ok. So, that is why I asked. Maybe you want to consider putting some insect repellent?

IMO i prefer scm compared to sd. I went for sc2010 n sd2011.

i think tt the bad point abt scm is onli the 2km walk to f1 building.

sd banna point at so far 30k mark den gt 1 banana point. dam hungry on the way. scm gt 2 banana point 12k n 28k if i rmb correctly, is at entrance n exit of ecp

scm water point gt much more. sd nt all water point gt 100+ like every alternate den gt 100+. lik 2k no 100+ den 4k gt and so on.

scm nicer to run cus lik wat others said more things to see on the way. n gt motivational quote along the markers. sd idk gt or not. but i don c any at sd. mayb 2 dark cannot c haha.

overall i prefer SCM. but running at night is better cus much cooler. can last longer.

I am a slow runner so no chance to be caught in the jam at shears bridge.