Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GnJ99

Starting a Charity Race for Japan Earthquake Victims..

Hi guys,

Over the past few days, I am saddened by the Japan Earthquake & Tsunami disaster images unfolding on TV and the print media. Just like many bros & sis, I would like to help and rally friends and people around us to do something for these poor Japanese in need of assistance of any kind.

So whilst doing my evening run today, I am thinking we can do a charity run to help raise funds for the Japanese Earthquake Victims. The ideas are as follows :

The Fund Raising :

1. Each runner would seek donations of his own - S$10/- per km run. So for a 10km run, there would he a pledge of $ 100/- raised

2. Each runner could write a check to Mercy Relief/ Red Cross after the run.

3. There should not be any public solicitation of funds other than each runner doing the word-of-mouth seeking for donations. I hope that as such, this way, no setting up of a charity, acounts, audits etc .. for a proper charity organisation would be required.

The Run :

1. We have existing groups haing Area Runs. So if we have 4 area runs planned for the same day. We can simultaneously have 4 groups doing the run and even more people can join in.

2. FOr solidarity and collective spirit of running for a cause, all the runners simply wear Red and/ or White (The Japanese Flag colour)

3. Proposed a reasonable distance of 10Km for the run.

Sponsorship :

1. Whislt it might be good to gather sponsor but the addtional time needed to solicit sponsors and get them to confirm and endorse the event may delay the run and delay the funds raised for the charity.

2. If really need sponsor, Mizuno or Asics juz popped up in my mind because of they are long supporting brands of local running events with Japanes Heritage.

Folks, I am thinking we get this event up and running within 1 month and we use FB and Sgunners.com (I hereby seek Moderator support) to help spread the word around. This is an impromptu thingy after my run and I hereby seek feedbacks and if we are moving ahead, we will need volunteers to help coordnaite some logistics perhaps.

What do you think ??

Gerald Tang

Great idea. But is up to the runner to pledge the amount. 10km = $100, some runner's may not afford that much.

Great idea. But is up to the runner to pledge the amount. 10km = $100, some runner's may not afford that much.

Agree. Student like me can't afford that much.

Think the idea is to get donation from friends or families for each km that you run, not from you only. :)

Think the idea is to get donation from friends or families for each km that you run, not from you only. :)

Support!

As what Sleek says, the intent is more to do what we do best ... RUN. And in so doing, we ask for donation from friends, relatives, classmates, colleagues who is willing to donate for a worthy cause - to help the Japan quake victims. Of course, runners themselves can donate too.

The intent for this run is combine our passion for running and helping out .. ******* WE RUN, WE CARE TOO !! ************

Further to add, it is evident that there are many donation avenues including SMS donations (30 cts for each SMS). I can even see everyone picking up their phone after the run and donate via their mobile phone. It is simple and no frills.

ECP, Animiles, CBP runner group etcs Chairman/Chairwomans,

Can we rally the runners in your respective groups for this cause ??

PS :

I will be willing to sponsor drinks (mineral water & sports drinks) to fellow runner groups within my limited financial means ..

GT

On!!! Lets use this medium to extend our help we know that each step we take towards each km we make will be for the good!! :thumbsup:

So far all the responses has been supportive. Would like to spread the word around more to gather more momentum. Can members of fellow running groups - Animiles, MR, ECP, CBP, Fat Bird help spread the words to fellow team members of this charity event ??

Hi Mods - If I am stepping out of line not following forum rules & etiquettes, please let me know ..

Cheers,

GT

On!!! Lets use this medium to extend our help we know that each step we take towards each km we make will be for the good!! :thumbsup:

Just a point I had thought about, the Twilight Ultra Challenge can be useful as an event to help raise funds for the victims. The event can be highlighted and awareness can be heightened as well. Maybe part of our registration fees could go to fund raising and the public can be encouraged to donate for the distance we covered etc. Bosses what do you guys think?

Good idea but got to ask the organiser and sponsor if they would be willing to part-take this charitable cause. And would they be able to consider participation of runners who did nor register for the twlilight run?

Anyone know the organiser that cam help to seek their feedback if they willing to open the event for Japan earthquake fund raising?