Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yeoenghwee

Need Advise on Hydration Pack

Hi All,

intending to get a hydration pack for the upcoming Sundown Ultra 100. Have no idea which brand is good or is comfortable to wear. Need some advise from the ground. Thanks

i read on the various reviews on hydration pack, then go to the shops and try them on... not easy to get one that will fit you the first time though... i'm lucky... i used nathan hydration... to me, its a great pack... :)

I am contemplating between North Face and Camelbak. not sure which is a better choice

you should go try both on... compare the prices... read about their reviews... then make a choice...

i think TNF is very expensive..

go queensway.. u can see other ranges...like deuter..TNF...camelbak... etc

i think about 100 to 150 can get u one with at least 1-2 litres...

its all about what u want... a chest and waist strap? chest strap only? i think the pockets that come with the bag is more then enough...

but i like camelbak.. i am rocking a 10+ year old Blowfish!!! just recently bought a reservoir.. but looking for way to clean the old one really well...

btw! since we talking about this.. .when i bought the reservoir.. the uncle mention that the best way to keep it well is to only use WATER in the bag. If you do that, cleaning it will be easy. As shown here http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Support/Product-Care/Cleaning/How-to-clean-your-CamelBak-reservoir.aspx

Then he say.. to put the reservoir into the fridge... i went..really? give him a 'dun phunk me look' .. he say really.. :)

i think TNF is very expensive..

Can try to get overseas, if u are travelling. If not, can also do a shipment back especially if you are buying more stuff to offset the shipping. Camelbak & TNF are all available at Amazon & other running websites, together with shoes at much cheaper prices than in Sgp.

I have used in the past a range of belts and packs from various brands. By a long shot, my favorite ones are the Nathan Elite 2v Plus for short runs up to 20km and on long runs I take the Nathan Endurance Vest.

The only problem will be to buy these here. I have seen Nathan in store, but none of the ones I use. I bought them in the US.

The Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab Pack has been selling super-well at RacingThePlanet for a few months now. It's a fitted, vest style pack that does not bounce around. I noticed a lot of them being worn at the HK100 Ultra race earlier this year. It has a 1.5L bladder, and also two water bottle holsters on the shoulder straps.

Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab Pack

Uncle of half century, not Ultra marathon like all u guys, uses camelbak (1.5l), D&G (3l) Singapore Army type, and platypus (2l), for various distance and terrain. Of course, put in different backpacks, for different reasons. For bikers, unless whole day ride, backpack will be bigger. Uncle doesn't like any hydration belts, Nathan, Ultimate whatever, bottles swash with water, very ignoring if water bottles leak or even drop. The worst part is Uncle kena cut by water bottle before with belt. Anyway 10oz bottle, not enough maybe for short distance - 5 - 10km.

Uncle respects the trail runs where I have to share with both recreational runners, and nature lover hikers/walkers/seniors just want to "tongak" their way up/down Bukit Timah Hill Natural Reserve. So, with hydration bag, if you can, minimise the "swoshing" of the water sound if you can possible. Uncle's trail is MacRitchie, Bukit Timah Hill via the Kampong and Durian Loop left/right attack, DairyFarm, Zhenghua Bike, Ganga Bike Trails, contemplating Woodcutter's Trail but weather these few months always tsunami warning of rain, especially wet this year so far since December 2010. Uncle can biathlon swim, but not with leeches and iguanas (4-legged big lizards) around means that decayed food must be nearby, such as "bodies" dumped big and small, who knows what.

The reason why I begin to like platypus bag is that it is foldable, such that I can "fold" to the level where I can maximize the water to fill near to the top. I top up a 330ml - 500ml bottle which I handcarry. What it does is, to minimize as little "swoshing" sound from my bottle, and no sound possible in my hydration bag with water filled to the rim. Of course, my backpack only fits the water bag, so that as the water gets to be used up in the hydration bag, I can fold it, the space that is empty can fill with my "wet sweaty" stuff you know what I mean after the run. Of course, I'm not referring to the girl's stuff, omg, it's today it must come in mandai zoo run! So embarrassing!

Camelbak has recently introduced wearable compression top with water panels, flatten to fit the curves of your upper body, no bag - forgot the name, around $150. Actually I have tried no backpack, and just carry the green only D&G 3 litre water bag for fun run, very cooling, but very ah beng because the "water swoshing" sound attracts the attention of the Buangkok Institute for the Not So Sane Runners. Uncle was gagged, tied and ferried in an armoured Energiser 100 LED Lights limousine, straight to the ICU for intensive brain MRI for clinical assessment and evaluation for UltraMarathon virus that has bitten Uncle for 3 months. Uncle will be fun run Sundown 50km route with my platypus hydration (1 litre-fillup will do), lots of water fountains to topup at the eastern NParks. Uncle is a camel always hydrated, every 2.5km must drink for about 75ml...some Phd (Permanent head damage) said, what you drink, will be delivered to you in next 30min, Uncle thinks this is workable, and so far enjoy water like crazy camel. Warning - don't practice with isotonic drink like 100plus, Uncle guarantees you "lau sai" or diarhhea. Oh no, the Buangkok Institute for the Not So Sane Runners armoured limousine coming again even when Uncle do twilight run with overhead Energiser 7 LED Light for Sundown 100km run, ok, I tie myself this time, I walk to your "big car", I cooperate this time, no crude jokes, but please don't take away my hydration bag, it's my wife and my life (ultramarathon) :spiteful: .

Hi All,

I am looking to get Hydration Backpacks. Currently considering Salomon XT Wings 5, Camelbak 2011 Octocane LR or Octocane XCT.

Called most of the world of sports stores in Singapore,seems like they dont really carry any running hydraion packs. As for Green pasture who was indicated as the distributor for camelbak, no one seems to be answering the phone.

Any advise on where in Singapore, i might be able to get my hands on the mentioned bags??

Hi All,

I am looking to get Hydration Backpacks. Currently considering Salomon XT Wings 5, Camelbak 2011 Octocane LR or Octocane XCT.

Called most of the world of sports stores in Singapore,seems like they dont really carry any running hydraion packs. As for Green pasture who was indicated as the distributor for camelbak, no one seems to be answering the phone.

Any advise on where in Singapore, i might be able to get my hands on the mentioned bags??

Since you just started running a couple of weeks back, I don't think you need a hydration pack at this point in time. Hydration pack are good for long runs in area without easy access to water. As a newbie, you should be doing shorter run and progressing gradually starting from road runs. Since you run mainly at ECP and Bedok Reservoir where there is adequate water points along the way, no point carrying a hydration pack and being weigh down by it.

As you progresses to longer distances, then perhaps you can consider getting a hydration belt rather than a hydration pack. This is more versatile and lighter and you can fill the cannisters with different type of liquids.

Hope you don't mind my kaypohness in rendering the above advice.

Hi All,

Since you just started running a couple of weeks back, I don't think you need a hydration pack at this point in time. Hydration pack are good for long runs in area without easy access to water. As a newbie, you should be doing shorter run and progressing gradually starting from road runs. Since you run mainly at ECP and Bedok Reservoir where there is adequate water points along the way, no point carrying a hydration pack and being weigh down by it.

As you progresses to longer distances, then perhaps you can consider getting a hydration belt rather than a hydration pack. This is more versatile and lighter and you can fill the cannisters with different type of liquids.

Nah.. good advise. Was not really planing to get belts cause, I usually run with a pouch and really hated it shifting around. Recently did a 10k run from my place to bedok reservoir and back, did stop by sengsong to get drinks but still feel really dehydrated when i got back. Might be the weather also, that day was pretty hot.

Well been staying in bedok for so long, its only the other day when i was plotting a running routes with streetdirectory and google earth, than i realised there are water coolers around bedok reservoir & ECP. Well Guess i dont run enough lol.

Hi All,

Nah.. good advise. Was not really planing to get belts cause, I usually run with a pouch and really hated it shifting around. Recently did a 10k run from my place to bedok reservoir and back, did stop by sengsong to get drinks but still feel really dehydrated when i got back. Might be the weather also, that day was pretty hot.

Well been staying in bedok for so long, its only the other day when i was plotting a running routes with streetdirectory and google earth, than i realised there are water coolers around bedok reservoir & ECP. Well Guess i dont run enough lol.

water points:

bedok reservoir, tampines park, pasir ris park, changi village toilet point, changi beach park, National Service Resort & Country Club, ECP Area G Toilet last toilet all the way to ECP Area A fort road 1st toilet...kallang park toilet...marina barrage..uncle's 50km challenge...just one 500ml bottle and 4 gels, only stop over at downtown east for lemon juice drink and changi village for icekachang and nasi padang, no need isotonic top up...prepare for 6-7 hours of real endurance and fun, punishing road run, want to join uncle without hydration bag, just Newton belt can do, and my mp3 non-stop for 18hours...oh, just in case 1 xtra singlet, and socks and roll up like sausage bag, tie to belt, stuff to backside to support running shorts, uncle waist shrink 1 size down during run, so sausage bag is to prevent shorts and underwear drop half way through journey..for the first 35km..hot and sweaty...and for the next 65km...better call ambulance..pe po pe po..

oh ya, came across a review of hydration bag: http://runningsucks.blogspot.com/2011/05/tnf-enduro-boa-hydration-pack.html

uncle's camelbak (1.5l), D&G (3l) and platypus (2l) - all only for trail runs where waterpoints are stagnant reservoir water, and puddy pools created from tracks of mountain bikes..oh, quarry ones uncle swim, and private business..only at night, where NPark rangers are still gooning..yap, uncle uses solar cell touch light, not the overhead LED that Energiser gives to the Night Trail Run recently..waterproofed all fuel and hydration equipments with diving waterproof bags, good, drop to muddy swarms, feel ok, can reach out for help..helo helo..uncle request gps at lat. xxxxxx long xxxxxx, mandai, beside ah ming's memorial stone, over, request pizza xtra large with upsize pepsi over...

Hi All,

water points:

bedok reservoir, tampines park, pasir ris park, changi village toilet point, changi beach park, National Service Resort & Country Club, ECP Area G Toilet last toilet all the way to ECP Area A fort road 1st toilet...kallang park toilet...marina barrage..uncle's 50km challenge...just one 500ml bottle and 4 gels, only stop over at downtown east for lemon juice drink and changi village for icekachang and nasi padang, no need isotonic top up...prepare for 6-7 hours of real endurance and fun, punishing road run, want to join uncle without hydration bag, just Newton belt can do, and my mp3 non-stop for 18hours...oh, just in case 1 xtra singlet, and socks and roll up like sausage bag, tie to belt, stuff to backside to support running shorts, uncle waist shrink 1 size down during run, so sausage bag is to prevent shorts and underwear drop half way through journey..for the first 35km..hot and sweaty...and for the next 65km...better call ambulance..pe po pe po..

oh ya, came across a review of hydration bag: http://runningsucks.blogspot.com/2011/05/tnf-enduro-boa-hydration-pack.html

uncle's camelbak (1.5l), D&G (3l) and platypus (2l) - all only for trail runs where waterpoints are stagnant reservoir water, and puddy pools created from tracks of mountain bikes..oh, quarry ones uncle swim, and private business..only at night, where NPark rangers are still gooning..yap, uncle uses solar cell touch light, not the overhead LED that Energiser gives to the Night Trail Run recently..waterproofed all fuel and hydration equipments with diving waterproof bags, good, drop to muddy swarms, feel ok, can reach out for help..helo helo..uncle request gps at lat. xxxxxx long xxxxxx, mandai, beside ah ming's memorial stone, over, request pizza xtra large with upsize pepsi over...

Lol. Boss your reply is confusing yet informative at the same time. Anyway, I don't think i'm fit enough to even contemplate challenging 50km as of yet but would like to challenge further distance in the future. I am not sure but drop by a few store selling TNF products, a small pack only cost 140ish some 200+, is it all hydration bags this ex??