Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sky61

Woodcutter trail run route

hi, would like to find out a few questions from fellow runners that have attempted the woodcutter trail.

1) how many streams can i expect to run through in the duration of the course? are they the most ankle deep?

2) i understand the entrance from the east is thru the danger sign (with a no biking sign behind), what about from the western side? is it behind a no biking sign next to a wooden bridge along the chestnut trail (chestnut ave) bend??

3) is it fairly straight forward route, such that no compass or gps is required??

many thanks!!!

sorry bro, i have very vague impressions of the trail. think only walk past there 1 or 2 times.

hi, would like to find out a few questions from fellow runners that have attempted the woodcutter trail.

1) how many streams can i expect to run through in the duration of the course? are they the most ankle deep?

2) i understand the entrance from the east is thru the danger sign (with a no biking sign behind), what about from the western side? is it behind a no biking sign next to a wooden bridge along the chestnut trail (chestnut ave) bend??

3) is it fairly straight forward route, such that no compass or gps is required??

many thanks!!!

Hey Sky61, let me know if u going, if time permit will join you as well :)

hi retroboy, i'm actually quite new to all these trail running, just pick it up beginning of this year. so far i have run from macritchie to bukit timah loop (wkdays n wkends), and bukit timah up north to gangsa track loop ( on weekdays to avoid bikers). was looking for the entrance to woodcutter trail along chestnut trail, but there were a few possibilities. i haven't tried running woodcutter trail before and am gathering more info before my run.

think its better if there is some experienced trail runners that have attempted this route to lead us one time...or give some directions n info. (from the net, i think there are 3 streams to plod thru)

am experimenting if there is a possibility to run one single loop, from mac to bukit timah to chestnut trail, across woodcutter's, then down south to mac again....all trail!!!think that would cover around 30km or more.

I want to join, too.

is the trail open to public?

from what i know thru the net, the trail is used by SAF for topo ex, and on wkends,some bikers might go there illegally (its illegal to cycle there). its not an official trail, but in a way its open to the public...just that the public dont know..

if i do attempt it, most likely it would be on a wkday,as wkends along chestnut trail down to bukit timah,there might be lotsa mountain bikers..

its certainly possible to run one loop from MR to Chestnut drive cutting thru woodcutter's to Old Upper Thomson Rd & Back to MR (probably ~20-30km).

Woodcutter's itself is ard 5km long, with a few streams to cross (not sure how many - only ran thru it once) but nothing deep (think i barely wet my shoes). The trail is fairly technical though... quite rooty in some parts, inexperienced trail runners do beware (not a good idea twisting your ankle in their... long way to walk both ways). The entrance from the west is not so easy to spot as it runs thru a fairly open part of the forest (hence no obvious trail to follow). You don't really need a compass to run it but guidance from somebody who's familiar with the trail is needed if you haven't run it before as some parts are fairly open & it may not be obvious which way to go.

hope this helps! good luck (don't get lost)! :)

p.s. with regards to the mountain bikers - i've run this route on weekends before... its not too bad the trail is fairly open (most of the way) & you can hear them coming (don't blast the ipod!) its going to be a challenge to run this on weekdays though.. unless you're prepared to use headlights or you're not working!

I luv trail running, shucks I have not stepped onto MR for more than one year now. I missed those days of trail running in the central catchment areas. Last time I ran into this trail was more than a year ago together with some of the folks here. Well do you really need a guide? Depends on your tolerance and patience, its nicer to trek/walk thru it to enjoy nature (except on live firing days at the mandai range).

If you google, you will find much resources about the topic. Below are 3 blogs about it.

From the young boy scouts treking thru it with their teachers/guides :

http://hppelicanscout.blogspot.com/2010/10/hike-at-woodcutters-trail.html

to the retiree who trekked alone :

http://ivyidaong4.blogspot.com/2010/10/bukit-panjang-to-upper-peirce-reservoir.html

and non other than the resident 'devil' himself (hehe) :

http://kops21.blogspot.com/2009/09/woodcutter-trail.html

I wouldnt even think of going in there given the rainy weather now.

its certainly possible to run one loop from MR to Chestnut drive cutting thru woodcutter's to Old Upper Thomson Rd & Back to MR (probably ~20-30km).

Woodcutter's itself is ard 5km long, with a few streams to cross (not sure how many - only ran thru it once) but nothing deep (think i barely wet my shoes). The trail is fairly technical though... quite rooty in some parts, inexperienced trail runners do beware (not a good idea twisting your ankle in their... long way to walk both ways). The entrance from the west is not so easy to spot as it runs thru a fairly open part of the forest (hence no obvious trail to follow). You don't really need a compass to run it but guidance from somebody who's familiar with the trail is needed if you haven't run it before as some parts are fairly open & it may not be obvious which way to go.

p.s. with regards to the mountain bikers - i've run this route on weekends before... its not too bad the trail is fairly open (most of the way) & you can hear them coming (don't blast the ipod!) its going to be a challenge to run this on weekdays though.. unless you're prepared to use headlights or you're not working!

hi stuck,

is it as rooty as durian loop at bukit timah?? i find that quite a challenge to run. any idea of any prominent landmarks or signs on the chestnut trail side of the entrance?? thanks for ur guidance!

i'm a shift worker,so i have some offdays on wkdays n wkends, so i can do my LSD on weekdays too. and yes, i do relish running in the dark with headlights,but maybe with some company,not alone...hahaha

I luv trail running, shucks I have not stepped onto MR for more than one year now. I missed those days of trail running in the central catchment areas. Last time I ran into this trail was more than a year ago together with some of the folks here. Well do you really need a guide? Depends on your tolerance and patience, its nicer to trek/walk thru it to enjoy nature (except on live firing days at the mandai range).

If you google, you will find much resources about the topic. Below are 3 blogs about it.

From the young boy scouts treking thru it with their teachers/guides :

http://hppelicanscout.blogspot.com/2010/10/hike-at-woodcutters-trail.html

to the retiree who trekked alone :

http://ivyidaong4.blogspot.com/2010/10/bukit-panjang-to-upper-peirce-reservoir.html

and non other than the resident 'devil' himself (hehe) :

http://kops21.blogspot.com/2009/09/woodcutter-trail.html

I wouldnt even think of going in there given the rainy weather now.

hi pwlee,

glad to find a fellow trail lover!! i love the feel of trail running and it gives me a sort of inner peace when i run thru nature trails...love the uphills and downhill speed descents too. i just came home from a wet run thru macritche loop as a recovery run....alas it poured..but its a blessing in disguise too, i manage to test out the water resistant features of my motorola defy hp, a good feel of running thru deep puddles of water, not to mention the rain was therapeutic to my strain hamstring..

it would be nice if sgrunners plan a run thru woodcutter trail...need some guidance

hi stuck,

is it as rooty as durian loop at bukit timah?? i find that quite a challenge to run. any idea of any prominent landmarks or signs on the chestnut trail side of the entrance?? thanks for ur guidance!

i'm a shift worker,so i have some offdays on wkdays n wkends, so i can do my LSD on weekdays too. and yes, i do relish running in the dark with headlights,but maybe with some company,not alone...hahaha

if my memory serves me well i think it'll be slightly more challenging than durian loop! haha maybe not as hilly but certainly more close terrain & the footing is more uneven. i wouldn't suggest trying this after dark... even with headlights unless u're very experienced with the terrain.

there is a small trail leading off behind the "no biking sign" off the chestnut drive loop (after the water pump) which marks the entrance. do check out kops21 blog pictures for more details as mentioned by pwlee (who was also the one who kindly showed us the way during the last time we ran there :thumbsup: )

good luck.. be careful & have fun!

p.s. always have a hp with you on trail runs... especially if you run alone!

ok, i think i have a rough idea which sign is that. its on a slight slope next to a wooden bridge across a stream near the chestnut waterworks. thanks for the directions!!

yup, i bought a water resistant handphone just for my trail runs. :thumbsup:

The only time i taken that trail was during my Army days in the early 90s......nite topo!!! Say wat the heck, how lost can you get in Singapore :) Got trail can run...see where it take us (part of the fun) kekeke...let me know if u need company to run coz my backyard is Bukit Timah "Garden"

ok, i think i have a rough idea which sign is that. its on a slight slope next to a wooden bridge across a stream near the chestnut waterworks. thanks for the directions!!

How many times tigger wish he can soak in that stream when the weather get too hot for comfortable. Alas someone beat tigger to it during last TNF.... :aggressive:

If you have garmin, you can download the map and follow through.

How many times tigger wish he can soak in that stream when the weather get too hot for comfortable. Alas someone beat tigger to it during last TNF.... :aggressive:

If you have garmin, you can download the map and follow through.

no garmin...pok liao after buying my s-lab3 gt wings...have to wait a few mths...car also got to zeng..lol

can you post a map pls?

yes pls...do anyone have a map of the area?? esp the many crossroads in the area...which one to take??

The only time i taken that trail was during my Army days in the early 90s......nite topo!!! Say wat the heck, how lost can you get in Singapore :) Got trail can run...see where it take us (part of the fun) kekeke...let me know if u need company to run coz my backyard is Bukit Timah "Garden"

that would be great retroboy!!! definitely would appreciate the company and directions in my maiden run across central catchment area. the only thing holding me back now is that i'm currently nursing a hamstring strain from too many uphill runs, so if we were to do it, it would mostly be shuffling and not a full run. are u ok with that? or how about after CNY? can work off all the goodies...

that would be great retroboy!!! definitely would appreciate the company and directions in my maiden run across central catchment area. the only thing holding me back now is that i'm currently nursing a hamstring strain from too many uphill runs, so if we were to do it, it would mostly be shuffling and not a full run. are u ok with that? or how about after CNY? can work off all the goodies...

Sounds good to me :)

my friend and I want to try the trail this Sunday, from MacRitchie.

tentative.

from macritchie?? how would the route be like?? via mac to rifle range road to bukit timah then via chestnut trail? or mac to sicc to upper pierce? is there a trail route that eliminates the need to run on the roads?? via SICC up north?

I believe this should be the route.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=vmquunjfewfmrzpq

tink this route is up north to seletar exit, not to the pierce exit. but if its runnable, i don't mind doing it too!! :thumbsup:

tentative.

you doing to and back? or juz one direction??? Want to do a full from BP/BT/MR and back?

it would be nice if the northface 100 2011 route includes the woodcutter trail, adds an element of fun and possibility of hollandness.... some overseas trail marathons u can holland and have to backtrack!

so this sunday is it confirm??maybe i can join in and hobble behind....

tentative.

you doing to and back? or juz one direction??? Want to do a full from BP/BT/MR and back?

how about park at upper pierce reservoir (nearer to entrance of woodcutter trail), run thru woodcutters, chestnut trail, belukar track, catchment path to bukit timah visitor centre, then back via the same way? at least there are toilets at upper pierce reservoir and no roads , all trail! :dribble: