Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lemonomeith

Power Balance bracelets Exposed

Sydney Morning Herald.

A bracelet worn by high profile sports stars that claims to improve athletic performance has been exposed as a

sham by the consumer watchdog.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has ordered Power Balance Australia to refund all customers who feel

they were misled by the supposed benefits of Power Balance bracelets.

But ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said in a statement: “Power Balance has admitted that there is no credible scientific basis

for the claims and therefore no reason....

Oh no!! You mean my rubber bracelets don't actually give me super-human powers!!!! :diablo:

was about to post this as well...placebo effect is all in the mind, but i guess if it helps u to psycho urself better,then why not...hahaha.. btw i didnt buy any

Placebos Can Work Even When You Know They're Fakes

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015591

There's little doubt that the placebo effect's real, but it has always been argued that a person feels better because they think the pill is the real deal. But what if it works even when you know it's a fake?

According to Ted Kaptchuk at Harvard Medical School and his colleagues at least one condition can be calmed by placebo, even when everyone knows it's just an inert pill. This raises a thorny question: should we start offering sugar pills for ailments without a treatment?

In the latest study, Kaptchuk tested the effect of placebo versus no treatment in 80 people with irritable bowel syndrome. Twice a day, 37 people swallowed an inert pill could not be absorbed by the body. The researchers told participants that it could improve symptoms through the placebo effect.

While 35 per cent of the patients who had not received any treatment reported an improvement, 59 per cent of the placebo group felt better. "The placebo was almost twice as effective as the control," says Kaptchuk. "That would be a great result if it was seen in a normal clinical trial of a drug."

Edzard Ernst, professor of complementary medicine at the Peninsula Medical School in Exeter, UK, thinks that "the size of the benefit is too small to be clinically relevant". Kaptchuk agrees and wants to run some larger trials to get a better picture of the effect.

If a dummy pill can improve IBS, shouldn't we be exploring its effect on other ailments? "It wouldn't work on a tumour or kill microbes, but it's likely to affect illnesses where self-appraisal is important, such as depression" says Kaptchuk.

A 2008 study found that around a third of physicians had prescribed a dummy pill to unwitting patients. "Now we have shown that there are ethical ways of harnessing the placebo effect," says Kaptchuk.

Surely now you can make a case for using a placebo when there are no other treatment options? Kaptchuk feels there is still an ethical dilemma here. "I'm against giving patients something unless it's been shown to work in that condition," he says, though the individuals concerned may feel differently.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has ordered Power Balance Australia to refund all customers who feel

they were misled by the supposed benefits of Power Balance bracelets.

i'd like to see CASE in s'pore have the same authority/power

How about the Phiten bracelet? the Ebene knee guard? If people can believe that wearing a simple piece of stuff like that can give them extraordinary power or cure them, they deserve to be cheated.

How about the Phiten bracelet? the Ebene knee guard? If people can believe that wearing a simple piece of stuff like that can give them extraordinary power or cure them, they deserve to be cheated.

Actually one word lah....Singaporeans are too rich lah, $75 one what "Power Balance bracelets" also buy.

Actually i feel those compression thights is also fake...$100+ wear say what increase blood flow etc...maybe after this spam, soon all those so called that claim to increase performance gadgets will one by one expose are fake stuffs. Actually still believe one thing that Army teach us, "Can means Can" "Cannot means Cannot" buying expensive gadgets seriously would'nt really help u if dun train or dun put in effort my dear....

We should see whats nexts to get exposed, i suspect is those "Compression thights"

All snake oil. When I was into hi-fi, there's even more snake oil scammers. Put some piece of wood ontop of you hifi about can improve sound... The automobile also got scammers that claim to improve performance and fuel economy. Some even claim to have scientific research..

buah hahahahaha.....

Actually one word lah....Singaporeans are too rich lah, $75 one what "Power Balance bracelets" also buy.

Actually i feel those compression thights is also fake...$100+ wear say what increase blood flow etc...maybe after this spam, soon all those so called that claim to increase performance gadgets will one by one expose are fake stuffs. Actually still believe one thing that Army teach us, "Can means Can" "Cannot means Cannot" buying expensive gadgets seriously would'nt really help u if dun train or dun put in effort my dear....

We should see whats nexts to get exposed, i suspect is those "Compression thights"

although i don't wear one, i think compression tights has some truth in it to improve blood circulation..

Actually still believe one thing that Army teach us, "Can means Can" "Cannot means Cannot"

Most also forget the old saying, 'If it's sounds too good to be true, it probably is.' I can safely say I've never bought into the hype of compression, barefoot running footwear and all these energy bands. Not that I'm some purist or anything. But some of the claims are kinda too hard to believe..

although i don't wear one, i think compression tights has some truth in it to improve blood circulation..

Wonder what happened to those 2 people who were suddenly selling this Power Balance bracelets on this forum earlier this month ?

They seem to be suddenly quiet after having some very good business. :shiftyninja:

Wonder what happened to those 2 people who were suddenly selling this Power Balance bracelets on this forum earlier this month ?

They seem to be suddenly quiet after having some very good business. :shiftyninja:

I agree with the "Can means can, cannot means cannot" mantra. If you don't train properly or sufficiently, no amount of fancy and expensive gadgets will improve your performance. Hard work, people! In the same way that if you don't study hard or if you just don't have any aptitude for a school subject, all the Brands Chicken Essence in the world will not help you get A grade on the exam!

I've never bought a Power Balance bracelet, though I do have a Phiten necklace and some compression tights that I use on my LDR. The Phiten, I will admit, could possibly be a placebo-effect item, though I won't stop wearing it until conclusive results like the one for Power Balance have been done. But I do honestly find that compression tights work. E.g. my marathon recovery time was cut down from 4 days to 2 days; I can sustain my paces for much longer during LDS; wearing the tights while on 13hr flights, my legs don't get sore or stiff. My friend's mom has even been advised by her doctor to wear compression tights while travelling to help alleviate her deep vein thrombosis.

On the other hand... nobody's doctor has advised them to wear Power Balance bracelets. I, too, am wondering what happened to those two people who were selling the bracelets earlier this month.

A consumer should be skeptical if the product and its benefit claim is not backed by any accredited group. An accredited group whether academics-based or industry-based would have conducted numerous scientiful experiment and test to prove the hypothesis behind the cause-effect of the product. Alternatively, check it out whether placebo effect works through the product :P

At the SCM 2010 expo, I asked the ang mo girl who's a promotor for this wristband about any clinical trial done. She remained silent. I then walked away.

Many such products use celebrities to endorse and get the people to buy in.

At the SCM 2010 expo, I asked the ang mo girl who's a promotor for this wristband about any clinical trial done. She remained silent. I then walked away.

Many such products use celebrities to endorse and get the people to buy in.

I wonder why she didn't continue lying about the clinical trail since their marketing are all psuedoscience where no proper institution would endorse. Might as well scam us all the way..