Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lspua

Barefoot, Vibram, Minimalist Runners

I will most likely be joining the 1.1.2011 East Run @ Bedok Reservoir @ Carpark A @ 7am.

Sunday need to go service.

I am a vibram runner too! And i did my SCM (full) in bikilas! I am absolutely addicted and in love with barefoot running now! =) Train around mount faber area currently!

All these is very exciting, been running for awhile now and headed out to get my first pair of VFF KsO Trek today. Anyway, i'm new here so thought i'd give everyone a holler ;) Happy new year ya'll!

Just curious. What's the main motivation you guys decided to run barefoot? Is it to minimize injury by running in the correct form? Is it to improve speed? (does this improve speed?). Or just curious to experience something new? I noticed elite marathoners all wear shoes. Some argue that those Kenyan elites spent a large part of lives running barefoot. If it's so good why didn't the Kenyans continue to run barefoot when competing in marathons? I read the Born to Run book. The author did not really advocate running barefoot. He basically said to learn how to run gentle and once that is mastered, you can be injury free with or without shoes. Can I assume that you learn to run 'gentle' faster through barefoot and once you have the right form, you can go back to shoes? like the Kenyans.... shod-less when young but shod when competing in races.

hello!

I used to be severely flat footed and had terrible shin splints whenever i tried to run. So i never ran. Even in the army! (got a pes C because of my flat fleet. excused almost everything)

Since i've started running barefoot my arch has become much stronger. It's WAY more arched than it was before. A total transformation even my mother was surprised when she saw my foot. looked like a different person's foot.

I don't get shin splints now, and I just completed my first two 10km in my life this year!!

So to answer the question(sorry for the detour) I run barefoot because it's the only way I can run without pain. I'm just a beginning runner, but I agree with you. <born to run> emphasizes on using correct form, with or without shoes.

It's just that learning correct form is waaaaay easier and even natural when barefoot.

and shoes which block feedback from the ground might cause you to revert back to the old, harmful form (:

OTT a bit...i kicked off the new year with a 5km run with unc wah sing in klang/msia this morning. it was good!

Just curious. What's the main motivation you guys decided to run barefoot? Is it to minimize injury by running in the correct form? Is it to improve speed? (does this improve speed?). Or just curious to experience something new? I noticed elite marathoners all wear shoes. Some argue that those Kenyan elites spent a large part of lives running barefoot. If it's so good why didn't the Kenyans continue to run barefoot when competing in marathons? I read the Born to Run book. The author did not really advocate running barefoot. He basically said to learn how to run gentle and once that is mastered, you can be injury free with or without shoes. Can I assume that you learn to run 'gentle' faster through barefoot and once you have the right form, you can go back to shoes? like the Kenyans.... shod-less when young but shod when competing in races.

hello!

I used to be severely flat footed and had terrible shin splints whenever i tried to run. So i never ran. Even in the army! (got a pes C because of my flat fleet. excused almost everything)

Since i've started running barefoot my arch has become much stronger. It's WAY more arched than it was before. A total transformation even my mother was surprised when she saw my foot. looked like a different person's foot.

I don't get shin splints now, and I just completed my first two 10km in my life this year!!

So to answer the question(sorry for the detour) I run barefoot because it's the only way I can run without pain. I'm just a beginning runner, but I agree with you. <born to run> emphasizes on using correct form, with or without shoes.

It's just that learning correct form is waaaaay easier and even natural when barefoot.

and shoes which block feedback from the ground might cause you to revert back to the old, harmful form (:

Did you do it barefoot raw or with VFF or something?

OTT a bit...i kicked off the new year with a 5km run with unc wah sing in klang/msia this morning. it was good!

Good way to start the new year.

Uncle Wah Sing is fast!

@ISPUA

I did all my training runs raw barefoot,up to 7.5k for the long run.. but I wore VFFs during the races because i didn't really know the routes =/

I could feel the difference though.. not as good technique

Hope to do my first run with my VFF this week...what's the distance should I cover for the maiden first run in my KSO? Advise?

Hope to do my first run with my VFF this week...what's the distance should I cover for the maiden first run in my KSO? Advise?

my first run in kso was without socks for about 3km and I came home with blisters on the side of the foot. Hence, I've been wearing toe socks with it and I advise you to try with socks first for maybe 3-5km. Your calves will ache after that so do not run in your vff on consecutive days, and progress the mileage gradually, and watch out for any stones etc! have fun!

hello!

Well Done. :)

BTW, I have just finish the BtR book loh. Nice read, very inspirational. u can go to my link to see some related videos.

http://1deg20.blogspot.com/2011/01/born-to-run-related-videos.html

@ISPUA

I did all my training runs raw barefoot,up to 7.5k for the long run.. but I wore VFFs during the races because i didn't really know the routes =/

Nice, My furthest barefoot record is 5.5km... and i will have blisters after 4km... i wonder if i lack conditioning or i lack good running gait...

my first run in kso was without socks for about 3km and I came home with blisters on the side of the foot. Hence, I've been wearing toe socks with it and I advise you to try with socks first for maybe 3-5km. Your calves will ache after that so do not run in your vff on consecutive days, and progress the mileage gradually, and watch out for any stones etc! have fun!

I suggest u to do a easy 2 - 3km conditioning run as ur maiden run. If you feel that ur foot are 'heating up' (most probably due to fiction), slow down. :)

interest check on our second group run. any suggestion on time and route?

I vote for the same place (LPR Carpark) same day (this coming Sunday 9 Jan 11)? :)

Sunday, I cannot lah... Need to go church and then need to send my son for swimming class at 12:00noon.

I can only make it on Sat from now on if my "CO" permit.

@ISPUA

Nice, My furthest barefoot record is 5.5km... and i will have blisters after 4km... i wonder if i lack conditioning or i lack good running gait...

Hi man!

I'm inclined to think that technique is more important than conditioning, because my feet are still relatively soft no matter how much I run. I just ran 10k barefoot on pavement (very slow though) and it was my archilles/ankles that made me stop. The skin on my soles were fine.

I learnt most of the practical things about barefooting not from <born to run> but from this website

http://therunningbarefoot.com/

This guy is the yoda/jedi-master/kungfu master on top of the mountain when it comes to barefoot running...

Sunday, I cannot lah... Need to go church and then need to send my son for swimming class at 12:00noon.

I can only make it on Sat from now on if my "CO" permit.

emm, so far 1 vote sat, 1 vote sun. let's see what others say. i'm fine with both days.

anyone interested to run tmr? Sunday no good for me at this point. If no reply by 5pm. I'll cancel the event.

I think I will probably join Kayano's run at Hougang (Kovan) tomorrow since its near my place if I can wake up. :-)

Jorn and I will be running a 21k route tmr, start point is yishun MRT at 7:30. Feel free to join us. DO bring your own hydration. Thanks.