Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

acatal

2011 Boston Marathon

Anyone going to Boston, please say hi to my dad if you do see him and give him some words of encouragement, btw he is 79 this year.

Thanks! & keep on running guys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/13116092.stm

Geoffrey Mutai runs fastest ever marathon in Boston

Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai won the Boston Marathon men's race in an unofficial world-record time of two hours, three minutes and two seconds.

The previous world best of 2:03:59 was set by Ethiopia's Haile Gebrselassie in Berlin on 28 September 2008.

But Mutai's run does not qualify as an official world record because the Boston course is downhill and he benefited from a strong tailwind.

The 29-year-old beat fellow countryman Moses Mosop by just four seconds.

And Mutai smashed the course record, set in last year's race by Kenyan Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot, by almost three minutes.

"I knew I could run well but the record was not on my mind," Mutai said. "I was feeling OK. I was confident in myself after training so much.

"I tried to push myself. The wind was blowing on all sides all over the course. We were not facing the wind but it was coming from all around us."

Mutai and Mossop ran side-by-side in the latter stages of the race before Mutai pulled ahead as they moved towards the finish.

He is the 19th Kenyan winner of the race in the past 21 years.

There was also a sprint finish in the women's event, where Caroline Kilel, also representing Kenya, finished two seconds ahead of American Desiree Davila.

The results come just a day after Emmanuel Mutai and Mary Keitany completed a Kenyan double as they won the men's and women's races at the London Marathon.

My old man will be 79 this year. He qualified in yr 2009 when he completed the Std Chart in 4hrs 39mins....put me to shame. Sigh.

So no one fr SgRunners is going? My old man will be going alone cos I can't make it. It'll be great if he can link up with some Singaporeans.

woah! he totally have my respect. :good:

Hi,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful pictures, can see that you really enjoy the victory lap to the holy grail

"There are many races, but only one Boston Marathon" - Adidas